Is green pocillopora really that bad?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Come take it out yourself and it's free :)
Canada- would be a trip and a half or i'd bring 4 buckets- no kidding

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never again for me. Was a great confidence builder at first but my Xenia didn't spread as much as the green poci did and I couldn't keep it in check. I broke down my tank and saved a few choice corals to transfer to my new tank and a couple months later I'm finding baby pocis in my temp tank. Not sure if I want to risk trying to kill them off and add to my new tank

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just avoid the green/brown P. damicornis. I have had P. verrucosa for over a decade now and it never spreads throughout the tank. I have a pink damicornis from Copps that also doesn't spread.

IMG_2287.jpeg

|sCRIBe|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a small one in a previous tank and it grew excellent to the point that when I cut it, it dusted the tank with more and seeded. My entire tank started growing it. Never again will I ever own one.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m upgrading, should these not go into my new tank? Large one is green w/purple polyps and the other yellow w/greenish polyps. They have not reproduced anywhere and are very pretty under the blues.
Can folks post photos of pocilloporas that are invasive?
8E7FC505-A392-4DA0-A657-7A0CA7064740.jpeg
03E3047A-778B-4F43-93B8-B53291C07E8D.jpeg
(under white lights)

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m upgrading, should these not go into my new tank? Large one is green w/purple polyps and the other yellow w/greenish polyps. They have not reproduced anywhere and are very pretty under the blues.
Can folks post photos of pocilloporas that are invasive?
8E7FC505-A392-4DA0-A657-7A0CA7064740.jpeg
03E3047A-778B-4F43-93B8-B53291C07E8D.jpeg
(under white lights)
Neither of those are Poccilipora, both are Stylophora

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually just wondering this myself recently. I have some and it's pretty aggressive, but I noticed it in two places where I didn't put any. Knowing this now I'll likely epoxy it in certain spots.

Ive just given into the fact that my tank will become a wall of epoxy at some point, but I think it will look pretty cool. I do a little at a time on the corals that need to be beaten back and wait for the neighboring coral to encrust the epoxy. As the process progresses it builds a little wall where the pest coral begins to be held back by shading.

Dan Watson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocillipora is a highly under rated, easy to manage SPS coral that can grow VERY fast under the right conditions. Theyre one of the hardiest of all SPS species, however, they get shunned for the same reasons. they have a porous boney structure like a sponge which is one of the reasons they can grow so fast, they also can eject polyps and start new colonies elsewhere pretty easily. Personally, after owning/raising 3 different types, id recommend them to people trying to upgrade their softies/mixed reefs into sps. theyre a dead giveaway for perfect mixed reef parameters and wain in stony coral tanks. Theyre ability to spread when stressed (specifically green pocillipora) is their downfall. Theyre a strong coral that can overpower a majority of others but arent the abomination some of the elite claim they are. Theyre incredibly easy to manage and look amazing in large colonies. I personally started with a tiny piece of green and inherited pink, and orange, both of which arent as insane as the green. Theyre not unlike montipora digitata or birdsnest in their ability to grow fast and spread but theyre still (improperly) labeled as a nightmare. If youre upset at pocillipora its probably also your fault for not researching enough on their species. They can be killed with your finger and arent another aiptasia. They need moderate light and flow and will often die in alk/ca heavy tanks. Stop bashing pocillipora just because its a healthy, hardy, happy coral and start doing a little more research before purchasing any coral. duh.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also made this mistake. Took me a long time to completely get this coral out of my tank. It spread everywhere pretty quickly. Never again

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poccies are underrated IMO.

I had a green Damicornus that turned into a problem in a past tank.

I currently have a pink Verrucosa from Therman in my new tank and love it.

These can be awesome corals but you must choose wisely.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things I would like to clarify

1. Its not polyp bailout, its asexual production of planula larvae. The former happens very rarely. The latter is a very common reproductive strategy in Pocillopora damicornis. I've monitored this in my old lab and it happens in aquariums just like in nature -- planula larvae are produced asexually the morning after the full moon, and settle within 24 hours to form tiny colonies.

2. I've seen this happen in all three color morphs of P. damicornis, without any question whatsoever (hundreds of juvenile colonies). Pink, green, and brown. There is variation (only some P. damicornis do this, not all), but it doesnt appear to be tied to a particular color.

I love Pocillopora and think they're a great addition to a reef tank. I've never had this cause a problem. In my experience they are completely innocuous and don't hurt anything (unlike e.g. Aiptasia that spreads and stings)

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes avoid it. I think it’s pronounced “impossibl-lipora” I wish I never put it in my tank. I have 3 tanks all plumbed to the same system. I put it in 1 tank.... it’s in all 3!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back