Is it normal for them to release this while changing water?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fairyfishy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

fairyfishy

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2022
Messages
24
Reaction score
65
Location
las vegas
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These hammer release this i think toxins, as we change our salt water is it normal?
770D83A1-D96D-4D89-906D-211A5F36F1C6.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • FullSizeRender.mov
    10.6 MB
No ! . They are probably stressed . Is the salinity and temp of the water you put in match the water in the tank ?? Did you use RO water to make your salt water ??? Did you spot feed them Pryor to the water change ???
 
Not toxins, just a layer it is sloughing off, perhaps stressed, perhaps to remove algae or detritus. I would keep an eye on it but not worry about it.
 
Agree that some parameter was a lil wacky for them to slime up during wc, should be ok though
 
I have had them do something similar when I do a large clean out of detritus and algae. It coincides with water change, but starts after I mess in the tank. Usually no issues after a few hours. Although, that looks like more than mine usually react.
Should be fine. If not, check parameters to be safe.
 
No ! . They are probably stressed . Is the salinity and temp of the water you put in match the water in the tank ?? Did you use RO water to make your salt water ??? Did you spot feed them Pryor to the water change ???
Thanks, yes we check the salinity and its ok. The temp we have a heater. Yes its RO
 
its probably just mucous that they will secrete as a defensive mechanism. Mine do it whenever I try to feed them powdered coral foods directly. If I broadcast feed it, they don't do it, but if I try spot feeding them with it, they just slime up and the slime carries the food away once the flow turns back on.

If you just did a big water change, I wouldn't worry to much.

mine will also often do this when I put them through a coral dip. the slime will get carried way by the flow shortly. nothing to worry about.
 
These hammer release this i think toxins, as we change our salt water is it normal?
770D83A1-D96D-4D89-906D-211A5F36F1C6.jpeg
Is that oxygen in the water column? If yes... This is normal. I forget the name of the method used. Half an hour or an hour before lights turn on, a very fine amount of bubbles would be produced for a short period and those bubbles caused the coral to mucus up.

Who remembers the name of the method?
 
Is that oxygen in the water column? If yes... This is normal. I forget the name of the method used. Half an hour or an hour before lights turn on, a very fine amount of bubbles would be produced for a short period and those bubbles caused the coral to mucus up.

Who remembers the name of the method?
Oohh that’s nice to know. Thanks
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new