Is it normal for them to release this while changing water?

fairyfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These hammer release this i think toxins, as we change our salt water is it normal?
770D83A1-D96D-4D89-906D-211A5F36F1C6.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    10.6 MB

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ! . They are probably stressed . Is the salinity and temp of the water you put in match the water in the tank ?? Did you use RO water to make your salt water ??? Did you spot feed them Pryor to the water change ???

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them do something similar when I do a large clean out of detritus and algae. It coincides with water change, but starts after I mess in the tank. Usually no issues after a few hours. Although, that looks like more than mine usually react.
Should be fine. If not, check parameters to be safe.

OP
OP
fairyfishy

fairyfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ! . They are probably stressed . Is the salinity and temp of the water you put in match the water in the tank ?? Did you use RO water to make your salt water ??? Did you spot feed them Pryor to the water change ???
Thanks, yes we check the salinity and its ok. The temp we have a heater. Yes its RO

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its probably just mucous that they will secrete as a defensive mechanism. Mine do it whenever I try to feed them powdered coral foods directly. If I broadcast feed it, they don't do it, but if I try spot feeding them with it, they just slime up and the slime carries the food away once the flow turns back on.

If you just did a big water change, I wouldn't worry to much.

mine will also often do this when I put them through a coral dip. the slime will get carried way by the flow shortly. nothing to worry about.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These hammer release this i think toxins, as we change our salt water is it normal?
770D83A1-D96D-4D89-906D-211A5F36F1C6.jpeg
Is that oxygen in the water column? If yes... This is normal. I forget the name of the method used. Half an hour or an hour before lights turn on, a very fine amount of bubbles would be produced for a short period and those bubbles caused the coral to mucus up.

Who remembers the name of the method?

OP
OP
fairyfishy

fairyfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that oxygen in the water column? If yes... This is normal. I forget the name of the method used. Half an hour or an hour before lights turn on, a very fine amount of bubbles would be produced for a short period and those bubbles caused the coral to mucus up.

Who remembers the name of the method?
Oohh that’s nice to know. Thanks

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 107 81.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back