Is it time for corals?

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have had my 40 breeder for about 2 months now and I think it has finished cycling. The ammonia is under 5 ppm, ph is fine, nitrate is at about 10 ppm and nitrite at 0. I was just looking to get some Zoas and a few mushroom. I was wondering if it was the right time to add these corals yet. If so, any recommendations for how many frags for my tank? Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically you don’t want to have detectable ammonia in your tank with fish or corals. Those API tests are useless imo, but that aside if you started the tank with bottled bacteria or live rock/sand then your tank should be cycled and able to support corals you mentioned.
Throw put the ammonia tester ( unless it’s a badge?) and add something!
If it’s a badge then wait until ammonia is not detected.
Hth!

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically you don’t want to have detectable ammonia in your tank with fish or corals. Those API tests are useless imo, but that aside if you started the tank with bottled bacteria or live rock/sand then your tank should be cycled and able to support corals you mentioned.
Throw put the ammonia tester ( unless it’s a badge?) and add something!
If it’s a badge then wait until ammonia is not detected.
Hth!
Thank you. And yes I did start the tank with bottled bacteria and I have live sand and a few pieces of live rock

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you are in NJ, so typically 8:40pm EST is the right time to add corals. That or 5:20pm :)

I am not sure what "under 5ppm" ammonia is because that is a big range for something very deadly to fish. I recommend your first coral at least a week or so after the first fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys I have had my 40 breeder for about 2 months now and I think it has finished cycling. The ammonia is under 5 ppm, ph is fine, nitrate is at about 10 ppm and nitrite at 0. I was just looking to get some Zoas and a few mushroom. I was wondering if it was the right time to add these corals yet. If so, any recommendations for how many frags for my tank? Thanks!
You can start with a couple hardy species as a test such as:
Candy Cane
xenia
toadstool
devil hand leather
Frogspawn
palythoa

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you like the ugly stage I would wait. Keep the lights off or at a minimum. Your ammonia is way high for a 2 month ild tank. Did you add any bacteria or anything to cy?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. Leave lights off and no coral till the 4 month mark so your tank builds biodiversity then your ugly stages will be much more manageable so your corals thrive as the lights come on.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. I think I added my first coral, a leather, around the 2 month mark. The hardier the species, the better. In my experience, mushrooms need a mature reef to thrive, as they rely on high nutrient intake. I tried mushrooms early and they all bleached and eventually died. Over a year later, I tried again, with much more success.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you are in NJ, so typically 8:40pm EST is the right time to add corals. That or 5:20pm :)

I am not sure what "under 5ppm" ammonia is because that is a big range for something very deadly to fish. I recommend your first coral at least a week or so after the first fish.
Fish have been in the tank for more than a month now

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for everyone here I did not mean 5ppm for ammonia i ment 0.5 ppm

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you like the ugly stage I would wait. Keep the lights off or at a minimum. Your ammonia is way high for a 2 month ild tank. Did you add any bacteria or anything to cy?
I added a lot of live bacteria. And I meant 0.5 ppm not 5 ppm my bad

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

and I meant 0.5 ppm not 5 ppm my bad

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. I think I added my first coral, a leather, around the 2 month mark. The hardier the species, the better. In my experience, mushrooms need a mature reef to thrive, as they rely on high nutrient intake. I tried mushrooms early and they all bleached and eventually died. Over a year later, I tried again, with much more success.
Is there anyway I can supplement the nutrients?

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can start with a couple hardy species as a test such as:
Candy Cane
xenia
toadstool
devil hand leather
Frogspawn
palythoa
This is a halfway decent list, but

Don't get xenia, it grows like a weed and will get out of control.

Get a cheap zoa colony, not palythoa. Palys also grow like weeds and are extremely toxic.

Don't get leather. They release a toxin that will stunt the growth of nearby corals.

Candy cane
Zoas
Frogspawn

Are a good start.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back