Is Mochi breathing too hard? I'm worried...

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
So I got my dream fish; Mochi. :)
He's a baby daddy frogfish and he is doing fine...I think..? I know they breathe "harder" than other fish...but I attached a video...can anyone tell me if he is breathing TOO hard??
Note: he did eat a shrimp yesterday....

Attachments

• received_1479637068.mp4
    9.3 MB
OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk why it won't play but he is breathing hard and his mouth is staying open. I'm probably being worried for nothing

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
poss try through u tube ??

Heather Kastory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters?
Hey everyone!
So I got my dream fish; Mochi. :)
He's a baby daddy frogfish and he is doing fine...I think..? I know they breathe "harder" than other fish...but I attached a video...can anyone tell me if he is breathing TOO hard??
Note: he did eat a shrimp yesterday....
Can't see video either

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nope..not here

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very labored breathing, 1st off, check water parameters., high ammonia needs to be dealt with immediately. Did you balance the sg in the bag to your tank, if tank sg was more than ,002 higher than the bag and you didn't use an extended acclimation, that can cause a problem. Was he exposed to air, anglers need to be released under water, they can gulp air.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very labored breathing, 1st off, check water parameters., high ammonia needs to be dealt with immediately. Did you balance the sg in the bag to your tank, if tank sg was more than ,002 higher than the bag and you didn't use an extended acclimation, that can cause a problem. Was he exposed to air, anglers need to be released under water, they can gulp air.
This right here.

If not acclimated correctly, they will do this for a day or 2 and it is very rough on them.

If it did gulp air, it may be able to be burped. I am not sure on that, as never ran into the issue outside of puffers.

@Jay Hemdal should be able to guide you on telling if it does need to be burped and how to do it if it is possible on an angler.

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was not exposed to air at all.we used the same sg as the bag he came in and 5 gallons from the same tank he was in at my lfs....

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This right here.

If not acclimated correctly, they will do this for a day or 2 and it is very rough on them.

If it did gulp air, it may be able to be burped. I am not sure on that, as never ran into the issue outside of puffers.

@Jay Hemdal should be able to guide you on telling if it does need to be burped and how to do it if it is possible on an angler.
110% did not gulp air. He wasn't breathing hard until AFTER he ate the shrimp yesterday...

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are under 2. Kh 8.5 Calcium 400 Magnesium 420 Salinity .025

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back