Is my double barred rabbit fish psycho?

Saltwater Dreamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very new to the saltwater world, but learning fast and have been absorbing all the great info shares here like a sponge.

My question revolves around my rabbit fish (I’ve called him Bugs). I introduced Bugs to my tank a couple of months ago and he resides happily with my snowflake moray eel, Eric. Herein lies the problem - Bugs won’t leave Eric alone! Eric is more social than most snowflakes - when I turn on the aquarium lights in the morning he pops his head out to say hello and he spends at least a couple of hours every day swimming madly around. Other times he hides in his rock work or log. However Bugs has decided that wherever Eric is, that’s where he wants to be. Bugs reverses into the log with Eric and traps him so Eric has to madly reverse to get away. Same as in the rock work - I’ve found Bugs actually sitting on Eric’s head and when Eric is being active, Bugs tries to keep up, to the point of getting taken out by Eric’s energetic swimming.

Is this normal? I’m thinking of getting a blue throated triggerfish in the hope it will give Bugs a break. And also I’m concerned that one day a well-fed Eric might take a chunk out of Bugs through sheer frustration. So far Eric has been very tolerant but not sure how long this will continue.

Is introducing a new tank mate a good idea or what else can I do?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of sounds like they have formed their own gang. Eric is "The Boss" and Bugs is his enforcer with those poison spines to protect them from any trouble. I don't think I have ever heard of this kind of pairing in an aquarium before but organisms workin together for mutual benefits is more commonly reported.

Like you pointed out, the Boss may end their relationship suddenly when he grows old and tired of the arrangement? They may be bonded for life and I would let them enjoy their time together while it lasts.

Perhaps adding an additional hide out for the eel that a foxface can't get into would allow Eric some me time if he's needing it?

Otherwise, you need a Shrinkfish to talk with the gang and see how come they are having these unusual attachment issues. Sorry, I can't recommend a good Shrinkfish, I don't know any of them.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Feel Better Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts
:cool:

OP
OP
Saltwater Dreamer

Saltwater Dreamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of sounds like they have formed their own gang. Eric is "The Boss" and Bugs is his enforcer with those poison spines to protect them from any trouble. I don't think I have ever heard of this kind of pairing in an aquarium before but organisms workin together for mutual benefits is more commonly reported.

Like you pointed out, the Boss may end their relationship suddenly when he grows old and tired of the arrangement? They may be bonded for life and I would let them enjoy their time together while it lasts.

Perhaps adding an additional hide out for the eel that a foxface can't get into would allow Eric some me time if he's needing it?

Otherwise, you need a Shrinkfish to talk with the gang and see how come they are having these unusual attachment issues. Sorry, I can't recommend a good Shrinkfish, I don't know any of them.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Feel Better Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts
:cool:
Thanks @KrisReef. I think you’re right that they have formed their own gang. I do t have the contact numbers for any shrink fish either but maybe the triggerfish will come packin’ and settle things down . It’s kinda cute watching them and I’m keeping Eric well fed so watch this space!

I do have a couple of rock formations and two logs (one too small for bugs to squeeze into) but the problem persists and Eric doesn’t seem to want to use that space. Maybe he likes the company of his enforcer?

Also I was talking to a guy (another customer) at the lfs and he says he never sees his snowflake as it’s always in hiding. Eric is super active and can go for an hour or more at a time where he swims around. It’s beautiful to watch so maybe I’ve just got two weirdos who are just making their own rules

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back