Is my method OK?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While 02 depravation is possible. I still lean towards something toxic. Just because the tank was new doesn't mean it wasn't exposed to something toxic along the way. Cleaning the tank and all equipment with a vinegar bath is always a good idea.

Never trust that decorations are safe. This is why I use only PVC in QT.

Unless the decorations say directly on them SW safe. Even then who knows what happens when they are exposed to medications. So I wouldn't use in QT.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to complicate things, but that seems like quite a few large fish in a comparatively small QT. I’d be worried about unacceptable ammonia rise about every 2 days; and unacceptable stress/aggression following shortly on its heels. :(

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm shocked everyone is questioning O2 deprivation.

Yes now I don’t know what to do. That was never aggression. Unhas these fish for almost a year. How many fish do you guys QT? Already cleaned the hole tank. Changed the water 100%. Today I’m not gonna do any meds. I want to give the last 2 fish (blue hippo and goby) a break.

What else can I do to increase O2 exchange? How many fish in a 20 QT?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes now I don’t know what to do. That was never aggression. Unhas these fish for almost a year. How many fish do you guys QT? Already cleaned the hole tank. Changed the water 100%. Today I’m not gonna do any meds. I want to give the last 2 fish (blue hippo and goby) a break.

What else can I do to increase O2 exchange? How many fish in a 20 QT?
Those two will be fine in a 20g. I typically gauge it on size and level of activity of the fish (tangs and rabbit fish being very active therefore more O2 required).

I'd also make sure the power head is faced up towards the middle of the tanks surface giving a lot of ripples in the water surface.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those two will be fine in a 20g. I typically gauge it on size and level of activity of the fish (tangs and rabbit fish being very active therefore more O2 required).

I'd also make sure the power head is faced up towards the middle of the tanks surface giving a lot of ripples in the water surface.

Ok...

I’m still processing all of that. I don’t have space for bigger tanks to QT.

Should I remove the black top lid that has the lights and covers the hole tank?

Thank you

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to sterilize since was a brand new tank.
John, you did not clean the new tank prior to using it? With hot water, vinegar, baking soda? Anything? All new tanks and tank decor need to "cleaned" to remove residue created from the manufacturing process.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am terribly sorry the loss of your fish, John. It is terribly sad. And you should not cover the tank with a towel or anything. Just room ambient light is enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

It's been a couple days since I moved the fish to the new tank. So far the hippo and goby (the only survivors) are doing great. I,m on day 4 on prazipro. @HotRocks I was following your prazi regiment. I mentioned that you do 2 rounds of prazipro. I check the bottle and one round takes 5-7 days. How long should I wait to start the second one? Do I need to drain 100% and make new water to dose again? or just redose it?

For some reason both fish are not eating like crazy. The blue hippo stays more inside of the pvc but, no signs of any infections, parasites, brook, velvet, ich. The fish skin is clean and colorful.

Any chance being prazipro making them not to eat?

Thanks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is two doses 5-7days apart.

It's mostly out of the water in 24-48 hours. The second dose is to kill any hatchlings. I do a 25% WC between doses. Some poeple do not.

It can supress appetite. If you have an airstone and a powerhead aimed upward creating sufficient oxygen there shouldn't be any issues.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is two doses 5-7days apart.

It's mostly out of the water in 24-48 hours. The second dose is to kill any hatchlings. I do a 25% WC between doses. Some poeple do not.

It can supress appetite. If you have an airstone and a powerhead aimed upward creating sufficient oxygen there shouldn't be any issues.

Thanks for the reply,

I have both, air and power head.

So bottom rule is after 48 hours prazi is no longer present, wait 5 days, repeat the dose as per instructions in the bottle and after 48 hrs start the monitoring period (14 days) prior to reintroduce into DT.

Got it?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back