Is my method OK?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Vick...

Regarding the appetite the ones who survided are eating normally here they are: Blue Hippo, Yellow Tang, Fox Face, Diamond Goby, Six Line Wrasse and believe me or not my Copperband Butterfly which is the who eats the most.

I have a dedicated room just for the 20 gallon to make sure no contamination will happen.

Now comes the question after the transfer method which if everything goes right will happen on Sunday 9th and after doing the last 2 rounds of General Cure. How long should I wait and monitor before putting them back in the DT?

Oh, almost forgot do I need to keep copper in the transfer tank at least at low concentration? Like, 1.2 ppm?

Thanks
No copper in the new tank. I would observe them for at least 14 days.

If this infection happened in your DT it will need to be fallow for 76 days before you introduce the fish.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No copper in the new tank. I would observe them for at least 14 days.

If this infection happened in your DT it will need to be fallow for 76 days before you introduce the fish.

Ok So I started the whole procedure on NOV-15th. In the meantime if the fish after 14 days in the transfer tank don't show any illness can I start getting SLOWLY more fish and QT? So I can add them at the same time?

So 76 Days would be FEB-1ST-2019

Thanks

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Vick...

Regarding the appetite the ones who survided are eating normally here they are: Blue Hippo, Yellow Tang, Fox Face, Diamond Goby, Six Line Wrasse and believe me or not my Copperband Butterfly which is the who eats the most.

I have a dedicated room just for the 20 gallon to make sure no contamination will happen.

Now comes the question after the transfer method which if everything goes right will happen on Sunday 9th and after doing the last 2 rounds of General Cure. How long should I wait and monitor before putting them back in the DT?

Oh, almost forgot do I need to keep copper in the transfer tank at least at low concentration? Like, 1.2 ppm?

Thanks
So far only lost 2, and 6 remaining. That is remarkable and a testament to your dedication to nursing these guys back to health. I know you are not out of the woods yet, but doing very well. @HotRocks is the bomb.
Also John, if the fish are eating and you do not have any ammonia present, and you are dosing bottled bacteria, it is fine to feed the fish. Just not so much food there are left overs in the tank. good luck. keep us posted.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far only lost 2, and 6 remaining. That is remarkable and a testament to your dedication to nursing these guys back to health. I know you are not out of the woods yet, but doing very well. @HotRocks is the bomb.
Also John, if the fish are eating and you do not have any ammonia present, and you are dosing bottled bacteria, it is fine to feed the fish. Just not so much food there are left overs in the tank. good luck. keep us posted.

@4FordFamily @HotRocks @Brew12

Thanks a lot...

Today was actually a good one. All reaming fish are doing well and eating fast. The good thing of having a goby in the QT is that any left overs gets eaten by him/her. That made me think. Guys I just got the Furan-2 in hands.

Question is, since the fish are doing perfectly fine so far. Should I put a hold on the Furan and watch them for the next 48-72 hours? Or just do it regardless?

Also when the transfer starts can I start to QT new fish? Reason why I wanted to add them at the same time if possible.

Thanks

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily @HotRocks @Brew12

Thanks a lot...

Today was actually a good one. All reaming fish are doing well and eating fast. The good thing of having a goby in the QT is that any left overs gets eaten by him/her. That made me think. Guys I just got the Furan-2 in hands.

Question is, since the fish are doing perfectly fine so far. Should I put a hold on the Furan and watch them for the next 48-72 hours? Or just do it regardless?

Also when the transfer starts can I start to QT new fish? Reason why I wanted to add them at the same time if possible.

Thanks
If the fox still has the brownish spots I would dose it. If that area is receding in size you could wait.

Glad to hear fish are doing well.

You can start QTing additional fish once those have made the transfer. Keep in mind you will need to run another QT to transfer them too post 14 days of therapeutic copper or treat them for 30 days in copper if using the same tank.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good work! I agree with adding furan. Second treatments aren’t nearly as effective it’s imperative you finish the job the first time :)

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update @Day 12 ( Copper Treatment)

Hi guys,

@Victoria M @HotRocks @4FordFamily @Brew12

Today was the day to add the 3rd round of metro and I decided to add Furan 2. No losses so far. Fish are doing okay and eating. I decided to keep metro since I saw a few spot that I think it could be brook on the blue tang. His eyes also are a little bit cloudy and his colors a little bit washed out. Sunday should be the day to transfer them to the clean tank that I setup just for them to recover.

In case I see anything in any of the fish prior to transfer, should I keep ALL of them in QT still? Should I move the ones that are clean to the new tank (observation) leaving only the ones still showing sings in QT?

Also, in the new tank since I have dry rock that I've never user I was planning to put in the new tank. What you guys think? Can I?

And last but not least. Should I do one last round of General Cure or Prazipro in the transfer tank? Or if I want to do it it would be better do it in the QT tank instead of contaminate the new transfer tank?

Thanks guys.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update @Day 12 ( Copper Treatment)

Hi guys,

@Victoria M @HotRocks @4FordFamily @Brew12

Today was the day to add the 3rd round of metro and I decided to add Furan 2. No losses so far. Fish are doing okay and eating. I decided to keep metro since I saw a few spot that I think it could be brook on the blue tang. His eyes also are a little bit cloudy and his colors a little bit washed out. Sunday should be the day to transfer them to the clean tank that I setup just for them to recover.

In case I see anything in any of the fish prior to transfer, should I keep ALL of them in QT still? Should I move the ones that are clean to the new tank (observation) leaving only the ones still showing sings in QT?

Also, in the new tank since I have dry rock that I've never user I was planning to put in the new tank. What you guys think? Can I?

And last but not least. Should I do one last round of General Cure or Prazipro in the transfer tank? Or if I want to do it it would be better do it in the QT tank instead of contaminate the new transfer tank?

Thanks guys.
Move fish if no ich or velvet symptoms on day 14 to a completely sterile QT— continue antibiotics (all 3) until they’ve all hit 10-14 days minimum.

Don’t use rock in that case as you’ll have meds present.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move fish if no ich or velvet symptoms on day 14 to a completely sterile QT— continue antibiotics (all 3) until they’ve all hit 10-14 days minimum.

Don’t use rock in that case as you’ll have meds present.

Now I'm confused. I thought the hole point of the transfer method was to transfer the fish with no signs of illness to a complete sterile tank but without any medications for 14 days just under observation and boost their immune system.

What's the point of having a brand new clean tank and start the same treatment? Why not keep doing it in the tank that has these 3 medications already?

Just to clarify you're talking about copper, furan and metro?

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm confused. I thought the hole point of the transfer method was to transfer the fish with no signs of illness to a complete sterile tank but without any medications for 14 days just under observation and boost their immune system.

What's the point of having a brand new clean tank and start the same treatment? Why not keep doing it in the tank that has these 3 medications already?

Just a question, where did you get these fish?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No copper in 2nd tank.

Copper supresses the immune system heavily. So that's why you want to transfer them to the second sterile tank. Get them out of copper and start boosting immune system. You aren't doing the same treatment as they should be parasite free. Just deworming and antibiotics. The antibiotics may be necessary to get them healthy if they are still fighting infection. That is why he is recommending no Live Rock.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No copper in 2nd tank.

Copper supresses the immune system heavily. So that's why you want to transfer them to the second sterile tank. Get them out of copper and start boosting immune system. You aren't doing the same treatment as they should be parasite free. Just deworming and antibiotics. The antibiotics may be necessary to get them healthy if they are still fighting infection. That is why he is recommending no Live Rock.

So the sterile tank I should use just general cure? or do you prefer prazipro?

I was reading your QT method. I bought a NUVO 20 just for the transfer. SO no rocks in this system just same pvc. Someone at WWC told me that I shouldn't even bother adding a bottle of bio spira since ABX kills the bacteria.

Also, do you recommend putting a power head in the other tank?

Is that true?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the sterile tank I should use just general cure? or do you prefer prazipro?

I was reading your QT method. I bought a NUVO 20 just for the transfer. SO no rocks in this system just same pvc. Someone at WWC told me that I shouldn't even bother adding a bottle of bio spira since ABX kills the bacteria.

Also, do you recommend putting a power head in the other tank?

Is that true?
Either one works. I would use them separate of the antibiotics though.

Example is if you are on day 5 of ABX when you transfer to 2nd tank continue ABX course for the remaining 5-9 days, then move to treating with GC or Prazipro. If you are using Metroplex as part of your ABX I would treat with Prazipro as GC also contains metronidazole like Metroplex.

Would also recommend a large WC between ABX and Prazi

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You add the bottled bacteria BECAUSE the antibiotics can kill the biofiltration. However general cure is not an antibiotic. In my experience expert level hobbyists are better educated and have greater experienced in treating parasites and fish disease than the average fish store employees. Not to knock LFS employees or owners. Some are excellent expert level hobbyist as well.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watch your seachem ammonia badges. One of the hardest parts of this hobby is trying to figure out who's advise to trust. Most of us learned the hard way. As you get thru this you are gaining experience. The 2 X 4 across the forehead experience. Read the stickies at the top of this subforum John. They are very informative.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back