OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either one works. I would use them separate of the antibiotics though.

Example is if you are on day 5 of ABX when you transfer to 2nd tank continue ABX course for the remaining 5-9 days, then move to treating with GC or Prazipro. If you are using Metroplex as part of your ABX I would treat with Prazipro as GC also contains metronidazole like Metroplex.

Would also recommend a large WC between ABX and Prazi

So I promisse now I’m gonna get this right.

Right now I’m on day 12 of copper @ 1.77, day 6 on metro and today I started furan 2 and stopped kanaplex.

On sunday would be 14 days on copper and 8 days in metro.

Furan says that after first dose you have to dose again after 24 and after 24 of the second dose do the 25% water change.

So my 25% WC coincides Itu my last day on copper.

How should I address that? Just asking because I want to know what to use in the transfer tank. Should I continue with all 4 doses of furan? Should I start prazipro and metro for the 5-9 days?

My tank is yellow I’m assuming due to furan.

Sorry for so many questions guys I’m really starting to feel bad.

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finish copper. Wait to dose furan that day until after you transfer (so you don't have to mess with WC). Yes furan does stain the water yellow. Sounds like you will need 1 more dose of metro as well.

Finish the course for Furan-2. Then do your 2 rounds of Prazipro. I would do a 100% WC once Furan-2 is finished before you start Prazipro.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finish copper. Wait to dose furan that day until after you transfer (so you don't have to mess with WC). Yes furan does stain the water yellow. Sounds like you will need 1 more dose of metro as well.

Finish the course for Furan-2. Then do your 2 rounds of Prazipro. I would do a 100% WC once Furan-2 is finished before you start Prazipro.

So I can finish furan in the transfer tank right? And yes you are correct to close 10 days of metro I will need one more in the transfer.

So I will finish furan in the transfer tank, do my last dose of metro... make 100% water change and start prazipro for 14 days?

Did I get right?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can finish furan in the transfer tank right? And yes you are correct to close 10 days of metro I will need one more in the transfer.

So I will finish furan in the transfer tank, do my last dose of metro... make 100% water change and start prazipro for 14 days?

Did I get right?
Yes looks good.

Prazipro:
Dose wait 5-7 days, 25% WC dose again.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep it simple with PVC IMO.

Hi Guys,

So I'm about to start the transfer. Tomorrow is the big day. It's been a crazy ride since I started.

Quick question guys. Is metroplex same thing as paraguard? Both treat brook right? Can I or Should I use paraguard with furan instead of metroplex?

I also have general cure. I just want to know what's the best among all of them to avoid dosing 2 medication.

I still have 2 rounds of prazi after the ABX.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No paraguard is not the same as metro. Don't mix paraguard with anything.

Did I get right?
This^^^ is exactly what you need to do as we discussed yesterday. Don't make it any more complicated than need be.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

@HotRocks @Victoria M

This is by far the saddest day since I started the treatment. Yesterday I started the transfer. Bought the new tank, setup all the new equipment, made a brand new batch of water and started to relief the fish from copper using 2 buckets before adding them to the new tank. I waited the hole day before adding any medications in this case Furan and Metro. The fish seemed to be fine. Well this morning this happens:

ED9B0AA7-EA4B-4AC6-ABE4-5B94E4B181D4.jpeg

They were all dead. Only the blue Tang survived to this crazy and unpredictable event and he's still fighting to survive (breathing rate really fast). I’m devastated guys. All the hard work. I was really thinking they will survive.

I just refuse to let it go. I need to understand what I missed. Temps, salinity, everything was there. Air stone, power head in the surface for oxygen exchange, heater.

How did they died so fast? They were eating, swimming, not showing any signs of illness. Could be the fact that I covered the with a towel just to avoid ambient light and provide a better environment for them to sleep and rest?

Last edited:

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man. That sucks. Hopefully some of the smarter people here can figure an answer out

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@johnbr I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

Can you explain in more detail what your transfer process for copper relief was? I am a bit confused here because yesterday you said you were transferring today?

Just FYI there is no need for copper relief or ramping down. They can go from therapeutic to copper free instantly.

What were the parameters of the new tank? Could you possibly have gotten something toxic in it? Did you sterilize it? If so how?

Stray voltage possible?

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this trend is insane. I would have got out of the hobby after all of that. Kiddos for sticking around.

The multiple attacks of diseases at once is why I use CP over Copper though I know you couldn’t use it with a hippo tang present.

I did have a question regarding medicated food. Are you able to mix that many medications in food at once? I thought it was only one med you could mix in food at a time.

Spectrogram and Marex are available from the same vendor now. Would it be better to get Marex instead of the CP I’ve been purchasing from NFP?

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@johnbr I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

Can you explain in more detail what your transfer process for copper relief was? I am a bit confused here because yesterday you said you were transferring today?

Just FYI there is no need for copper relief or ramping down. They can go from therapeutic to copper free instantly.

What were the parameters of the new tank? Could you possibly have gotten something toxic in it? Did you sterilize it? If so how?

Stray voltage possible?

Mr. Hot thanks a lot for stopping by.

The reason why I transferred them yesterday is because I did my math wrong. I started copper on Saturday so yesterday was the 14th (2 weeks).

I did every SINGLE thing sir. Even the buckets as you mentioned. No need to sterilize since was a brand new tank. Matched temp and salinity. Went from 1.77 copper to copper free (no ramp down). As far as toxic I'm pretty sure I forgot a HUGE detail. My wife came home at night and added two decorations in the tank. She said it was saltwater safe and that would be cool. Since she was trying to help and was safe I said ok. That could've been where I made a HUGE mistake and this morning this happens.

Honestly that's everything I can think since all the equipment was brand new. I decided to spend money buying everything new instead of having to go thru the hassle of cleaning the other stuff.

1.jpg

Here's a picture of the decorations. Could be possible they leached some kind of chemical in reaction to furan and metroplex?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxygen deprivation with metro and prazi would be my guess

Since you lost almost all the fish at once, it would have needed to be o2 or a toxin, but I doubt that the decorations did anything to hurt.

Sorry for your loss.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxygen deprivation with metro and prazi would be my guess

Since you lost almost all the fish at once, it would have needed to be o2 or a toxin, but I doubt that the decorations did anything to hurt.

Sorry for your loss.

I wasn't running prazi. Just Furan 2 and Metroplex. I had schedule 100% WC after finishing Furan.

Could that happened due the fact there was too many fish in a 20 gallon with medication and no O2 for all of them?

I had a powerhead close to the surface to create agitation and an air stone. So how O2 could be exhausted?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't running prazi. Just Furan 2 and Metroplex. I had schedule 100% WC after finishing Furan.

Could that happened due the fact there was too many fish in a 20 gallon with medication and no O2 for all of them?

I had a powerhead close to the surface to create agitation and an air stone. So how O2 could be exhausted?
Sorry, Furan and Metro could certainly do that especially with a 20g with those large fish. A gaping blue tang is also an indicator.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the losses. O2 deprivation is a possibility. Ammonia is another. Did you check ammonia? Hard to comment on the decorations. In general I avoid putting them in saltwater tanks, just in case.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the losses. O2 deprivation is a possibility. Ammonia is another. Did you check ammonia? Hard to comment on the decorations. In general I avoid putting them in saltwater tanks, just in case.

Removed the decoration. Ammonia is zero, added a bottle of biospira that treats 75 gallons. If O2 is a concern, the question now is. How many can I treat with metro and furan in a 20 gallon?

Any comments @HotRocks

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the fact that I covered the with a towel just to avoid ambient light and provide a better environment for them to sleep and rest?

John- Sorry for your loss. You've gone to every length to save your fish. Your advice crew has far more experience and expertise than I ever will. Many are pointing toward O2 deprivation common when medicating, but I didn't see any comment on the towel. Is it possible that this towel reduced the O2 exchange and compounded the O2 problem?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back