Is my set up ok?!?!

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36 gallon bow front with a marine land penguin I think it’s a 200 it’s supposed to be for a 75 gallon tank but I got the bigger one Bc The guy at the lfs said bigger is better...I have a Kessler a360x on the way I have a Nero 5 wave maker...,what else do I need for a reef tank?! I can’t put a sump sadly it won’t fit I know they have out of the tank protein skimmers but I really don’t want it to be seen ...,can I get away with my set up as is or do I need more ?! Ty! I have 2 clowns and a small flame angel

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36 gallon bow front with a marine land penguin I think it’s a 200 it’s supposed to be for a 75 gallon tank but I got the bigger one Bc The guy at the lfs said bigger is better...I have a Kessler a360x on the way I have a Nero 5 wave maker...,what else do I need for a reef tank?! I can’t put a sump sadly it won’t fit I know they have out of the tank protein skimmers but I really don’t want it to be seen ...,can I get away with my set up as is or do I need more ?! Ty! I have 2 clowns and a small flame angel
You can certainly have a sump with your setup, but you'll have to do a bit of DIY modifications to your current setup. You'll also need a stand in which you can put the sump if aesthetics are a top priority; you'll also need pumps to both draw down the water from the tank and to return it if you're not interested in drilling holes in your display (and risking leakage).

I think it would also feasible to install a pre-drilled baffle/divider at one end of the build to turn it into an AIO tank with a space for filter media, a return pump, and a slim protein skimmer. You could also paint it black so you couldn't see the equipment. You will, of course, have to drain and dry your tank first in order to install this option, so it's probably not idea in your present circumstances. Still, if you don't mind moving everything into a tote for a week or so, it's an option...

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly have a sump with your setup, but you'll have to do a bit of DIY modifications to your current setup. You'll also need a stand in which you can put the sump if aesthetics are a top priority; you'll also need pumps to both draw down the water from the tank and to return it if you're not interested in drilling holes in your display (and risking leakage).

I think it would also feasible to install a pre-drilled baffle/divider at one end of the build to turn it into an AIO tank with a space for filter media, a return pump, and a slim protein skimmer. You could also paint it black so you couldn't see the equipment. You will, of course, have to drain and dry your tank first in order to install this option, so it's probably not idea in your present circumstances. Still, if you don't mind moving everything into a tote for a week or so, it's an option...
I would need a new stand anf like you said drain the water and all of that ,,,,is it possible for this reef tank to run with the equipment I have and water changes or no?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would need a new stand anf like you said drain the water and all of that ,,,,is it possible for this reef tank to run with the equipment I have and water changes or no?
Yes, of course. A marine tank only needs:

-a heat source
-a light source
-water (surface) agitation, for movement and oxygenation;
-salt water
-some type of rock and/or substrate with sufficient surface area to support a sufficient colony of nitrifying bacteria.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, of course. A marine tank only needs:

-a heat source
-a light source
-water (surface) agitation, for movement and oxygenation;
-salt water
-some type of rock and/or substrate with sufficient surface area to support a sufficient colony of nitrifying bacteria.
I have plenty of dry rock hopefully it turns live soon

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ! So I can make this work you think ?? I do wanna get a better filters
For sure. Just -- and you'll hear this a lot -- be very patient, and don't stress your tank by putting in a heavy bioload until you get some stability in your system. I think that the three fish that you do have will fill your tank as they grow -- and flame angels do like to roam. If anything, I'd look at interesting inverts.

Adding some easy macroalgae like halymenia, which thrives on "dirty" water and in low light, is a great idea.

A few easy soft corals, like nephthea or Grube's goronian, will help you fill up bald spots on rocks, but they tend not to become pests. They're also pretty cheap, which is a must if you have an angel in your tank. I have multiple dwarf angels, and none of them have been destructive to my coral, but it's always a possibility.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ! So I can make this work you think ?? I do wanna get a better filters

Filters and skimmers are optional on a reef tank. Some don’t use any at all. Live rock and flow is biological filtration.

An aqua clear or tidal would have been much better than a bio wheel type filter though. This way you can toss floss frequently. The wheel part isn’t useful in a salt tank where you have rock doing that job.

Tidal is my favorite since it surface skims.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. Just -- and you'll hear this a lot -- be very patient, and don't stress your tank by putting in a heavy bioload until you get some stability in your system. I think that the three fish that you do have will fill your tank as they grow -- and flame angels do like to roam. If anything, I'd look at interesting inverts.

Adding some easy macroalgae like halymenia, which thrives on "dirty" water and in low light, is a great idea.

A few easy soft corals, like nephthea or Grube's goronian, will help you fill up bald spots on rocks, but they tend not to become pests. They're also pretty cheap, which is a must if you have an angel in your tank. I have multiple dwarf angels, and none of them have been destructive to my coral, but it's always a possibility.
Ty I’ve had a flame that went crazy on my corals in my old 75g I heard it’s just some are killers others are fine roll of the dice

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filters and skimmers are optional on a reef tank. Some don’t use any at all. Live rock and flow is biological filtration.

An aqua clear or tidal would have been much better than a bio wheel type filter though. This way you can toss floss frequently. The wheel part isn’t useful in a salt tank where you have rock doing that job.

Tidal is my favorite since it surface skims.
Great anserw I’ll look into a tidal !

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back