Is my yellow watchman goby ok?

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound like a very stupid question, but I got a very young yellow watchman goby and QT him for 30 days. From day one he was eating directly from my feeding baster and is super active. I had a small half clam shell in the qt.

I put him in my DT yesterday with another half clam shell and he didn't come out. Obviously. But today, a day later, he's roaming around the tank and climbing up the walls and interacting with my clowns.

Only things in the tank are 2 clowns, neon goby, and watchman goby. The tank is 90 gals so the two gobies should be fine. I haven't seen any disagreements.

I make this post because I was under the impression that Watchman gobies are very shy fish and won't come out. But I seen him swimming around all across the sand bed and even came up the glass halfway. Only for a brief moment though. He doesn't seem to be bothered At All by other fish.

I've had water parameter issues in the past that led to fish death so I guess you can call it trauma or whatever but if I see a fish not acting the way I would think, I get very nervous

20221024_091549.jpg 20221024_091546.jpg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They come out. Curiosity, defending territory or just swimming around. They do spend majority of time near cave if with shrimp but still will explore. If no shrimp, they're a bit more active in the tank.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably too small to dig a little burrow for himself. Maybe dig or blow out a little cave for him under a rock and see if it finds it.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably too small to dig a little burrow for himself. Maybe dig or blow out a little cave for him under a rock and see if it finds it.
There's tons of holes plus his clam shell from qt is in there. He seemed happy the first night

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They come out. Curiosity, defending territory or just swimming around. They do spend majority of time near cave if with shrimp but still will explore. If no shrimp, they're a bit more active in the tank.
No shrimp yet I plan on getting one soon but you're saying that this is fairly normal behavior? All of my fish have been very pro-human. The first day I got my clownfish they would eat out of my fingers and same thing goes for the neon goby. Now if I tap the side of the wooden canopy, they know that I'm there they come to the top for food. It's almost like calling a dog by its name

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No shrimp yet I plan on getting one soon but you're saying that this is fairly normal behavior? All of my fish have been very pro-human. The first day I got my clownfish they would eat out of my fingers and same thing goes for the neon goby. Now if I tap the side of the wooden canopy, they know that I'm there they come to the top for food. It's almost like calling a dog by its name
In my experience, perfectly normal. Never really had my YWG come up for food they way my clown and blenny will. But they definitely aren't shy about hogging food when they're hungry.

Sounds like you have a very fun to own reef tank.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, perfectly normal. Never really had my YWG come up for food they way my clown and blenny will. But they definitely aren't shy about hogging food when they're hungry.

Sounds like you have a very fun to own reef tank.
I'm very grateful of it too. Only problem is I'm fighting off dinos and being one heck of a jerk. It's a fairly new tank so I'm hoping I'll eventually get a settled. I think I just started growing hair algae

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, he wont leave the surface now... also won't eat. But no other tank mates are bothering it. Now I'm worried.

Attachments

• 20221024_151802.mp4
    20.9 MB
OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Staying at the top, occasionally nipping at food that goes by. After a night's sleep he goes to the bottom for a few hours. I honestly just think it's severe stress. He is just a baby. I put the shell he used in QT for a month into the DT hoping that helps. It's half a clam shell. Rest of my fish are acting normal enough.
Any updates?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back