Is red silicone reef safe?

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bag of brick-red silicone washers. Since additive free silicone is clear, there must be something that's been added to their formulation. Does anyone know what might have been added, if anything will leach out, and if so, whether it's safe?

Thanks

Edit: This is a different company than the one that made my washers. According to this website, a tin additive imparts a red color. I wonder if I can assume that all red silicone washers have had tin added.

https://acc-silicones.com/products/additives/MM CAT R5 NT

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bag of brick-red silicone washers. Since additive free silicone is clear, there must be something that's been added to their formulation. Does anyone know what might have been added, if anything will leach out, and if so, whether it's safe?

Thanks

Edit: This is a different company than the one that made my washers. According to this website, a tin additive imparts a red color. I wonder if I can assume that all red silicone washers have had tin added.

https://acc-silicones.com/products/additives/MM CAT R5 NT

At the VERY least color or dye was added.... why do you want to use red just out of curiosity?

I don't even think I have ever seen red as a color for silicon before unless its for special high heat applications at which point I would assume some sort of heat resistant materials or chemicals were added to maintain the integrity of the silicon under high heat conditions.

OP
OP
S

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the VERY least color or dye was added.... why do you want to use red just out of curiosity?

I don't even think I have ever seen red as a color for silicon before unless its for special high heat applications at which point I would assume some sort of heat resistant materials or chemicals were added to maintain the integrity of the silicon under high heat conditions.

I'm trying to get silicone washers for mounting something. I can only find red in the size that I need. I'd prefer to use clear.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get silicone washers for mounting something. I can only find red in the size that I need. I'd prefer to use clear.

I would say at the very least call the manufacture and simply ask. Tell them your going to use the washers in a 'human drinking water container' and need to know if it will leach anything and if its safe for human consumption.

They will most definitely be able to tell you.

KMSReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure where you are but the home depot near me has a wide variety of silicon washers in the plumbing section with the toilet/sink repair parts.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL definitely not the case.
Ok, you probably should not be so quick to say otherwise.

I challenge you to provide one documented study that supports “any silicone” “or adhesive” has crashed a reef tank or than anecdotal rumors started by newer reefers.

Last edited:

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you probably not be so quick to say otherwise as I’ve been in this hobby for quite a long time.

I challenge you to provide one documented study that shows “any silicone” “or adhesive” crashed a reef tank.

Tick Tock Tick Tock....the clock is started!

I have been in the hobby for 15+ years. Never once has anyone ever recommended to use silicon with mold inhibitors inside it and a quick search yeilds enough threads about tank crashes as a result to it being used inside a reef system.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ge-silicone-toxicity-in-reef-tank.498828/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-ge-silicone-ii-mold-free.194649/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/used-mold-resistant-silicon-now-what.213744/

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby for 15+ years. Never once has anyone ever recommended to use silicon with mold inhibitors inside it and a quick search yeilds enough threads about tank crashes as a result to it being used inside a reef system.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ge-silicone-toxicity-in-reef-tank.498828/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-ge-silicone-ii-mold-free.194649/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/used-mold-resistant-silicon-now-what.213744/

Yeah, like I said...documented study. I know all the threads as I’ve read about every single one over the last 20 years. Not one of them has strong evidence that cured silicone has ever crashed a tank. I’ve built several sumps with both GE I window and door and also....wait for it....GE II with....mold inhibitors!

Tanks ran for years with it.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, like I said...documented study. I know all the threads as I’ve read about every single one over the last 20 years. Not one of them has strong evidence that cured silicone has ever crashed a tank. I’ve built several sumps with both GE I window and door and also....wait for it....GE II with....mold inhibitors!

Tanks ran for years with it.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/big-oops-be-careful.360950/

I can keep going if you like...

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might wanna read this before we continue:

For the record: All silicones are reef safe--once they are fully cured. The enemy is uncured silicone, not some mythical ingredient for controlling mildew. ;)

That said, GE Silicone I is cheap junk. It is the aboslute barrel bottom of all materials (and many silicones are right there with it.) For our projects we really should move up to a higher quality product. Dow Corning makes several that blow GE Silicone away, but are not as hefty as the RTV100 series or SCS1200, however for small projects they are fine. DC 735, DC 999A to name two.

The MSDS for Silicone II does not indicate that there are any additions other than siloxanes, of which there are literally hundreds, (polymers) common to all silicones, without getting to complicated about it.

The MSDS also does not indicate any proprietary additives either. Where such is present, the law requires that they be included in the MSDS.

I would say that neutral cure silicone is a bit more toxic in its "uncured" state than acetoxy cure silicone, but that is as far as it goes. It is better to malign a product for what it doesn’t do well, rather than internet rumor.

Acetoxy cure silicone excels at bonding to glass and ceramics; acetic acid is corrosive, so it is not suited for metals, and it does not bond well to other materials (acrylic included.) Neutral cure excels at bonding metals (non-corrosive) and other materials (acrylic not included.) Co-polymers, are another category (not 100% silicone).

Within the two general categories, there are several sub-categories: sealant, adhesive, high temperature, etc. Obviously we are only concerned with sealants and adhesives. the choice of which to use, really takes little thought. Sealants seal, adhsives hold stuff together.

GE Silicone I (Momentive) is, easy to work with, but is a bargain basement low end sealant. RTV100 series (Momentive) or SCS1200 (Momentive) are high end adhesives, not so easy to work with. A short list has been publised at least a 100 times. Not that they are the only choices, but everytime some off the wall silicone is asked about, or mentioned, it just adds to the confusion and rumors.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might wanna read this before we continue:

For the record: All silicones are reef safe--once they are fully cured. The enemy is uncured silicone, not some mythical ingredient for controlling mildew. ;)

That said, GE Silicone I is cheap junk. It is the aboslute barrel bottom of all materials (and many silicones are right there with it.) For our projects we really should move up to a higher quality product. Dow Corning makes several that blow GE Silicone away, but are not as hefty as the RTV100 series or SCS1200, however for small projects they are fine. DC 735, DC 999A to name two.

The MSDS for Silicone II does not indicate that there are any additions other than siloxanes, of which there are literally hundreds, (polymers) common to all silicones, without getting to complicated about it.

The MSDS also does not indicate any proprietary additives either. Where such is present, the law requires that they be included in the MSDS.

I would say that neutral cure silicone is a bit more toxic in its "uncured" state than acetoxy cure silicone, but that is as far as it goes. It is better to malign a product for what it doesn’t do well, rather than internet rumor.

Acetoxy cure silicone excels at bonding to glass and ceramics; acetic acid is corrosive, so it is not suited for metals, and it does not bond well to other materials (acrylic included.) Neutral cure excels at bonding metals (non-corrosive) and other materials (acrylic not included.) Co-polymers, are another category (not 100% silicone).

Within the two general categories, there are several sub-categories: sealant, adhesive, high temperature, etc. Obviously we are only concerned with sealants and adhesives. the choice of which to use, really takes little thought. Sealants seal, adhsives hold stuff together.

GE Silicone I (Momentive) is, easy to work with, but is a bargain basement low end sealant. RTV100 series (Momentive) or SCS1200 (Momentive) are high end adhesives, not so easy to work with. A short list has been publised at least a 100 times. Not that they are the only choices, but everytime some off the wall silicone is asked about, or mentioned, it just adds to the confusion and rumors.

Silicon on a general basis is fully cured in 24-hours. I would be willing to bet most of those tank loss stories waited 24 hours before running the system with the mold inhibitors in it.

When you go into Home Depot or any pool supply store and you have the world of silicon at your fingertips, there is really no reason why you would not, or should not, choose a grade of silicon appropriate for your application. Most people aren't going to run the risk of a system loss on thousands of livestock because 'no official study' has been conducted to why mold inhibitors aren't good for a reef system.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your anecdotal links coming bro. That’s how rumors are started.

I’ve talked with the best tank builders around and have called miracles, planet, ADG, and others who have been in the game for years and spoke about this very issue many times. Several people from Reef Central (20 years back) all did the same thing.

It’s a myth that GE II crashes reef tanks. :)

But believe what you want and keep posting those links. ;) I’ve seen them all over the last 20 years and could care less. Same old rumors!

Last edited:

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your anecdotal links coming bro. That’s how rumors are started.

I’ve talked with the best tank builders around and have called miracles, planet, ADG, and others who have been in the game for years and spoke about this very issue many times. Several people for Reef Central 20 years back all did the same thing.

It’s a myth that GE II crashes reef tanks. :)

But believe what you want and keep post those links. ;) I’ve seen them for 20 years and could care less. Same old rumors!

https://www.google.ca/search?safe=o...1..gws-wiz.......0j0i7i30j0i22i30.0wM6VUNcezA

LOL All these people are wrong. You are right.

Miracles Aquarium is 30 minutes from me. I have purchased all my tanks from them and I can 100% assure you, they don't use silicon with mold inhibitors in it. That is a fact.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really like posting links. Lol

All these people?? You mean all these newbies.

Here’s a link for you. This is from people that build tanks for a living bro. People that work and have worked for large tank manufacturing companies. I still know most of the guys today. The ones that are still alive anyway.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2289883&page=2

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back