Is RTN/STN worse than it used to be??

Is RTN/STN more common than it used to be?

• Yes! I (and/or my friends) have experienced it more than it used happen.

Votes: 82 23.4%
  • No. I think it's about the same.

Votes: 112 31.9%
  • No. It's actually less common than it used to be.

Votes: 34 9.7%
  • I've never experienced RTN/STN.

Votes: 35 10.0%
  • What's RTN/STN?

Votes: 88 25.1%

• Total voters

clicfacil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Si quiero causar RTN / STN, esto es lo que hago.

1. eleve mi ALK de repente
2. deja que mi resina DI envejezca
3. use una dosis masiva de carbono o GFO
4. juega con la configuración del led
5. compra una gran colonia
6.enviar cosas en condiciones climáticas extremas
7. Intente reemplazar las pérdidas de RTN comprando un montón de nuevos fragmentos antes de haber descubierto cuál es el problema.
for me the best answer

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I voted no BUT, with a caveat. The equipment we use is so tweakable now (especially lights which really just need to be set and left alone!), I believe that many reefers may experience more instances of STN/RTN, due to lack of stability. With that said, there is the stability that advances in reef keeping equipment bring, such as daily ALK testing. For that reason, I believe instances of STN/RTN have probably stabilized over that last few years, as we become familiar with our brand new gear and how to best create a stable environment with it.

Kostas G.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Have you experienced RTN/STN??
Yes, lots of it when my phosphates crept up and when trace elements or calcium/magnesium were out of whack or rose too fast.

2) Do you believe it to be more common or less common than it used to be?
I believe not, it’s usually due to a parameter failure and as long as everything is in check, I haven’t had it happen. For new corals, what parameter swings those corals have experienced before getting them plays a big role as well.

3) Why do you think that is?

Because nowadays we know more and have more equipment that alert us when something is about to go wrong, before corals show it in a major way

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there is more than one thing going on. I think perimeters can cause RTN and that bacteria primarily cause STN.
I monitor parameters and with them being stable had an episode of STN. When dipped in iodine, the STN stopped briefly then slowly reoccurred. It started with one and then spread quickly. With them all being glued to rock work it became too irritating and I just let it ride out because I had no whole tank treatment.
I may try again in a tank dedicated to SPS and no Permanently fixed pieces for more control.
just my .02

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm too new to say if it happens more or less, but I just lost a frag the other day to RTN. We messed up a temperature setting (trying out the Apex seasonal temperatures), and, due to misunderstanding, temperatures went up two degrees in a matter of hours, then suddenly dropped a degree in 30 minutes when we "caught the mistake." After this, the corals started to show signs of stress, so we dropped it back the second degree. This all happened during a briopsis treatment (reef flux definitely works by the way), so the activated carbon we are usually running isn't there, and the skimmer doesn't have a collection cup on it. Parameters remained fine otherwise, with PO4 increasing some to 0.1.

Big mistake for sure. Two other acros showing some white spots, but didn't necrose over the coarse of a day. Did a good sized water change (carefully watching parameters and dosing the new water with reef-flux, and also matching temperature), and am just going to keep things steady hoping I don't lose any more.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a quick change in alkalinity can cause it in many cases, either from a frag you bought that was used to something much different than your conditions, or when you do not control your own tank. I have seen it a couple times in my tank over the years, and some acros or montis are more susceptible that others.

Apollomax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Have you experienced RTN/STN??
Yes, lots of it when my phosphates crept up and when trace elements or calcium/magnesium were out of whack or rose too fast.

2) Do you believe it to be more common or less common than it used to be?
I believe not, it’s usually due to a parameter failure and as long as everything is in check, I haven’t had it happen. For new corals, what parameter swings those corals have experienced before getting them plays a big role as well.

3) Why do you think that is?
Because nowadays we know more and have more equipment that alert us when something is about to go wrong, before corals show it in a major way
I do have it in the cabinet but have yet to use it as well like others. I personally only got to use as a dip for corals in distress. I watched a video on it and thought it was intended to be used a what I’ll call an “er” dip and then return to main dt… but again haven’t used any of it so will be watching this thread

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think alot of stn rtn comes from wild maricultured pieces harboring flatworms some kind of bacteria or other pest then being passed off cut up and sold as something else, usually held for a short period then its cut up and called conditioned or aquacultured but it isnt it's still 1st gen cut up

Imho it's not aquacultured till like 3rd gen 1st gen you have wild then you hold it for 2 3 weeks cut it up those frags are now conditioned frags let those grow out frag again 3rd gen is now aquacultured or supposedly

It's all a custody battle, and who had it the longest and alot of stn rtn comes with export stress, stress condition to synthetic sea salt and light , then not being held for quarentine and dipped just sold off as is maybe dipped once

And with wild specimen they are dirty being maricultured they often come with alot of microplastics,pest, protozoa and bacteria

That an temperature change which kills sps more than anything and is why acros are dying in red sea, south sea of china and great barrier reef acros, rapid climate change causing mass bleaching that anchors being dropped, plastics pollution, oil spills dredging for oil making underwater silt storms

In aquariums in synthetic conditions most of us will lose acros to in efficiency in heaters, alk swing or lack of proper flow in a gyre motion or not feeding the right coral food slowly starving the coral killing it over time or browning it out

A sad truth is that most acros wont make it either because they're sold as little nubs with glue burn before the heal and encrust

Always go for encrusted over non encrusted

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back