Is there a Pygmy clownfish?

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Is there a clownfish that is known to stay small and will remain well suited for a nano for its lifespan?

OP
OP
Zan's Aquatica

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 10 gallon at the moment! with a tailspot blenny and the damsel which is half blue and a streak of yellow across the underside (i forgot the name!)

will the ocellaris be happy alone or does it like a mate?

What size tank? I believe a single ocellaris clownfish are suitable for a 5 gallon or so tank.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a pair of ocellaris clowns that have stayed small for the past 3 years, but I wouldn't recommend two for a 10 gallon with two other fish.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 10 gallon at the moment! with a tailspot blenny and the damsel which is half blue and a streak of yellow across the underside (i forgot the name!)

will the ocellaris be happy alone or does it like a mate?
I’d be careful. A damsel in a 10 gallon will bully a clown. The clown will most likely die.

OP
OP
Zan's Aquatica

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be careful. A damsel in a 10 gallon will bully a clown. The clown will most likely die.

Ahh i guess i should have mentioned, the damsel is a temporary guest until my friend upgrades his system! but i can wait until he returns before i bring my clown home...

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, I love my clownfish pair almost sold them since my other fish (who I really love) was being a jerk to them but ended up keeping them in a separate system :)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh i guess i should have mentioned, the damsel is a temporary guest until my friend upgrades his system! but i can wait until he returns before i bring my clown home...
Just be sure to get the damsel out before the clown goes in. I promise you that thing will kill it day 1

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh shoot! my buddy had him with a fairly large maroon clown for several years.. but that clown was a bulldozer
Funny story. I have a yellowtail blue damsel in my 27 gallon. A friend wanted to get rid of it. So I took it. I put in two small ocellaris and the damsel killed one the first day. I had to put the other one in my other tank with even more aggressive fish but more room to swim. So I saw a big sized maroon and got it. Threw it in with the damsel. Both mind their own business as the maroon is 5 times the size of the damsel.

OP
OP
Zan's Aquatica

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story. I have a yellowtail blue damsel in my 27 gallon. A friend wanted to get rid of it. So I took it. I put in two small ocellaris and the damsel killed one the first day. I had to put the other one in my other tank with even more aggressive fish but more room to swim. So I saw a big sized maroon and got it. Threw it in with the damsel. Both mind their own business as the maroon is 5 times the size of the damsel.

even in a 27 he felt the need to kill!!? Wow... okay i am not risking it! i have intricate rockwork and would never be able to catch anyone to save their lives! I actually wasn't even thinking on how i would catch him to return...

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even in a 27 he felt the need to kill!!? Wow... okay i am not risking it! i have intricate rockwork and would never be able to catch anyone to save their lives! I actually wasn't even thinking on how i would catch him to return...

Only way for small fish like that is to either temporarily remove 100% of the rockwork to a large Rubbermaid trash can (filled with matching seawater), or else possibly putting in egg crate to segregate the tank into a portion (hopefully in a manner in which the damsel can't sneak by to the other section, thus allowing you to only have to remove a portion of the tank's rock.

Or you can simply put some bait on a micro fish hook, grab a beer, and do some arm chair angling. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

By the way, there is a variety of Ocellaris Clown called the Stubby Clown which is more diminutive.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product...captive-bred-ora?pcatid=5207&c=3352+3353+5207

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I think the tank is 21g. 27 is total volume. But even 20 gallons is quite small. Damsels are territorial. You may have been able to pull it off if the clown was in first and damsel introduced later but no guarantee.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic for reference of the two currently in. Oddly the maroon leaves the damsel alone. Maroon has been in for a couple weeks. Damsel in since December.
1026627C-B129-4326-B265-5F56530FE8DD.jpeg

OP
OP
Zan's Aquatica

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic for reference of the two currently in. Oddly the maroon leaves the damsel alone. Maroon has been in for a couple weeks. Damsel in since December.
1026627C-B129-4326-B265-5F56530FE8DD.jpeg

your clown looks like a deep sea lurking beast and your damsel looks like a little hoodlum hahaha! i love it

OP
OP
Zan's Aquatica

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way for small fish like that is to either temporarily remove 100% of the rockwork to a large Rubbermaid trash can (filled with matching seawater), or else possibly putting in egg crate to segregate the tank into a portion (hopefully in a manner in which the damsel can't sneak by to the other section, thus allowing you to only have to remove a portion of the tank's rock.

Or you can simply put some bait on a micro fish hook, grab a beer, and do some arm chair angling. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

By the way, there is a variety of Ocellaris Clown called the Stubby Clown which is more diminutive.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product...captive-bred-ora?pcatid=5207&c=3352+3353+5207

you just said my dreaded words of removing all the rock lol, i REALLY wasn't thinking when i unleashed him...
i might try some fishing first haha!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back