OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely have a flow issue in general which would hold back the cyano a little and provide needed movement for the anemone. Cyano generally suggest elevated nitrates and phosphates and yes would have some impact on anemone. If hang on filter is your primary filter, you will need to add flow and even a hang on skimmer such as IceCap K1-50 or K1-100. Can you post a pic of your tank under white lighting ?
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.
10B62C7C-5DBC-4EE0-B997-2AEB1CFC81C5.jpeg
9E7F7E27-742D-41E0-8379-007DC8929739.jpeg

sorry if the photos are bad

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok ill have a look when i go tomorrow, actualy i remember my LFS not having any nanos ill take a look online
Go with skimmer and also a larger hang on filter. This system is VERY basic and will require frequent maintenance to keep nitrates and phosphates down.
OR Look into a used All in one (AIO) that offers more flow and a built in sump

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with skimmer and also a larger hang on filter. This system is VERY basic and will require frequent maintenance to keep nitrates and phosphates down.
The filter i have is designed for a 35 gallon and i have a 17 gallon and i have a hang on skimmer already attached

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no space for an AIO and i am going to take this back to Australia with me and can't bring that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely have a flow issue in general which would hold back the cyano a little and provide needed movement for the anemone. Cyano generally suggest elevated nitrates and phosphates and yes would have some impact on anemone. If hang on filter is your primary filter, you will need to add flow and even a hang on skimmer such as IceCap K1-50 or K1-100. Can you post a pic of your tank under white lighting ?
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.
6-8 blue leg hermits sound a bit overkill no? wont they just end up killing eachother and all my snails?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
6-8 blue leg hermits sound a bit overkill no? wont they just end up killing eachother and all my snails?
Youre thinking of blue hermits. These guys are tiny and peaceful

1672936625193.png

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had problems with my blue legs (or Mexican red leds) and snails. They only eat the dead/dying ones. As long as there are enough spare shells hermits are quite tame.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed last night when the lights went off my BTA opened and inflated fully, I am going to try to keep the light intensity down. I woke up this morning to my BTA having moved entirely to a different rock because my skunk cleaner kept bothering it (whenever its antenna touched it)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Added 5x turbo/astrea snails and 8 "blue leg hermit crabs" that turned out to be blue hermit crabs and I can't get any actual blue legs here so that's fun but they do eat the algae (and occasionally eat/attack each other) but I did also add a tuxedo urchin and that seems to have helped a lot too. I haven't seen it regrowing at all as I am frequently scraping glass and my rocks are becoming less red.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back