Is this a Parasite????

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the other day I bought a new toadstool mushroom coral as my second coral. At my LFS it had beautiful green polyps and was to my eyes doing well. Since I brought it home I did a simple float of the bag and then a 45-minute drip acclimation. After adding the coral to the tank the lights were off for the rest of the day(As part of the schedule) and I didn't think much of it. Since I put it in the tank I have not seen any polyps and the coral has not opened. Today is day 2 since adding them and as I walked into my room with all the lights off I noticed a thread. I think it is some sort of parasite as it had jerking movements and shot back inside as the lights turned on. Can anyone help me identify the critter and how to get rid of it?

Also, can someone tell me if the video works IMG_20230522_211010.jpg IMG_20230522_211032.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled video - Made with Clipchamp.mp4
    12.9 MB
OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw something Online when researching this and saw a person comment about this possibly being hydroids. It looks almost exactly like this but a lot longer and is also coming straight out of the leather finger.

Attachments

• Ctenophore.jpg
    Ctenophore.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 23

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know. I was thinking that it is “shedding” and I thought you’d see some polyps in a couple of days if the tanks is coral ready. But the jerking description doesn’t match. It could be hydroids too. Maybe someone else will know.

Either way, I wouldn’t worry. Leave the coral alone and see what happens.

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know. I was thinking that it is “shedding” and I thought you’d see some polyps in a couple of days if the tanks is coral ready. But the jerking description doesn’t match. It could be hydroids too. Maybe someone else will know.

Either way, I wouldn’t worry. Leave the coral alone and see what happens.
I thought it was shedding as well but I saw parts of this tentacle almost pull back into the coral. Well, see how it goes. Hopefully, it opens up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back