Is this algae on my candy cane frag?

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to get a great pic of it, but there are these small cobweb like things around my frag that seem to be growing. Is it algae or part of the coral? Should i try removing it?

thanks

07BB22B8-FAC9-4C31-A3A2-5EFBD9AE4FCE.jpeg

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you didnt dip the coral by the looks of things. You should really get coral dip. Its one of the cheapest things in the hobby and helps keep foreign invaders out more than anything else

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a little bryopsis. You should be able to safely dip in peroxide and it should go away

OP
OP
P

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that plug is epoxy'd on to the rock, I cant see me getting the frag out to dip it again..

I have a yellow Tang and a Tomini Tang, why are they eating it if its hair algae..?

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant remove that frag, its epoxyd on.
Looking on google, raising the magnesium can kill it, any experience with this?
I do. Bryopsis is one of the most difficult things to remove from a tank. It cannot naturally grow, it must be introduced to the tank in the same way a coral is. The only way I’ve seen it successfully killed is with Flucanozoke treatments. If it is epoxyd down, chisel it off. Bryopsis is a pain in the butt and is worth a little work now to save you from a lot of work in the future

OP
OP
P

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. Bryopsis is one of the most difficult things to remove from a tank. It cannot naturally grow, it must be introduced to the tank in the same way a coral is. The only way I’ve seen it successfully killed is with Flucanozoke treatments. If it is epoxyd down, chisel it off. Bryopsis is a pain in the butt and is worth a little work now to save you from a lot of work in the future
ok I'll try to chisel it off, I'm not confident though ! would scrubbing it with a toothbrush be a terrible idea?

have you any links to what kind of dip I use if I do get the plug off ?

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I'll try to chisel it off, I'm not confident though ! would scrubbing it with a toothbrush be a terrible idea?

have you any links to what kind of dip I use if I do get the plug off ?
Yes that is a bad idea. I’m not sure what you should use, but I believe somebody made a recommendation earlier. @vetteguy53081 said a peroxide dip will help

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%

Back