Is this Ich?

Falcon 6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've two fish in a 5 gallon QT for 17 days, a Mimic Tang and a Midnight Angel. Both have been getting along well and and eating frozen mysis, marine angel formula, and seaweed. Last night I came home to the tang lying on his side and breathing heavily, he expired a few hours later. This morning the Angel looked like this.

Whats he got? Ich? How did it come on so fast? Can I save him?

image2.jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's important to note that Humblefish has found that the survival rate increased when the freshwater bath was followed by a bath in acriflavine. Here's the relevant section (in bold). Then treat with copper as explained in the post.

The short version:
  • 5 minute freshwater dip
  • Immediately afterwards, perform a chemical bath (in saltwater matching SG/temp the fish came from). You have two options:
  1. Acriflavine (preferred) - Do the bath for 75-90 minutes, but remove the fish immediately at the first sign of distress. Aerate heavily both before & during the bath, and temperature control the water. The following products contain acriflavine: Acriflavine-MS and Ruby Reef Rally. DO NOT mix acriflavine with any other chemicals.

OP
OP
Falcon 6

Falcon 6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick replies guys! 4Ford that write up you linked to was great, very informative.

I called around to the fish stores here, but can you believe none of them have any of the 3 medicines mentioned? I'll have to order some from the States and I fear that will be too late for the Angelfish.

I did a freshwater bath and does the QT with Blue, but I realize that's not likely to help much.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 42 40.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back