Is this Ick or Stress Spots

NeptuneSpear2011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!!
Just bought a Neso Tang Yesterday and didn't notice any spots on him at store until today. Cant tell if this is Ick or Stress Spots. Leaning towards stress spots. Don't see him rubbing or scratching but Damsel will poke at him every so often. Didn't eat this morning, and hasn't taken to Algae Strips. Seems pretty calm swimming around doesn't look stressed out. Any help would be appreciated.

NESO TANG.jpg

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Powder brown with lots of ich.

I would do Copper Power at 2.0 ppm in a hospital tank, soon. Tank transfer works well too and is either easier or harder, depending on your situation.
As long as it's ich and not velvet. TTM doesn't work for velvet I believe. It's concerning it went from no spots to that over night, makes me think velvet.
Personally I'd suggest a FW dip and/or a reef rally dip to provide immediate relief and then treat with copper or CP. Maybe #jayhamdel will chime in

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Luck! As everyone else stated I would start treatment asap! be careful if you use copper as the wrong amount can kill your fish!!! I used ich x it worked okay and the fish didnt seem to be bothered by it seems to be a little on the weak side not truly recommended by many hobbyist...but I would say from my experience it is pretty gentle on marine fish which might mean its pretty gentle on marine ich not making it the best choice either...im just recommending it because its gentle and tangs are very sensitive...but theres alot of methods out there probabbly better ones than ich x...point is be careful when dosing any kind of medicine its better to use less than over do it and kill the fish with meds.

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And please do not use any of these treatments that contain copper in your display tank, setup a QT if possible

Best of luck! Hopefully the rest of your fish will be ok!!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out come all the fish to simple QT.
Copper is best choice when we don’t know the parasite.
Expect to run this treatment for 21-30 days, or 21 days after last spot is gone.
DT stays normal except no fish for 70ish days, tiny feed just to keep your N and P in line.
Fish are to be fed a high protein diet.
10% water change every day to keep ammonia in check, keep copper at correct levels, less won’t kill the parasites, too much kills everything including the patient.

OP
OP
NeptuneSpear2011

NeptuneSpear2011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking like Ich guys. Purchased some treatment and we'll see how it goes for the week. Tang's get stressed easily from what I'm told and will get Ich pretty quick from a lowered immune system. Common when brought into new environment (stress). Let you all know how it goes. Thank you for all the input!

You're all very awesome!!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! Doesn't look like velvet to me. As others have noted, not a naso genus, so stress spots not an option. Plus, stress is more blotches than spots. It's ich, and a pretty bad case of it too.

OP
OP
NeptuneSpear2011

NeptuneSpear2011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda odd guys. Woke up this morning and all ich spots gone.(not saying it's gone) Just saying its weird that they were gone in the morning from one treatment. Treated again today. Spots back, just not as bad. I think its mostly stress related.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What treatment are you using where you need to treat again? Is it one of those garbage reef safe treatments?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back