Is this normal clownfish behavior?

Raamish14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I got a pair of ORA clowns 5 days ago. The bigger female is eating a lot. The smaller one spits out a lot. But Im not concerned about that too much. Might take longer for the little guy to adjust. My main concern is that I noticed my female clown doing this weird jolting zig zag swimming motion. She does it for a second and resumes waddling like normal. Is this normal? Am I just overreacting to clowns being clowns? My parameters are stable, I had them ckecked yesterday by my LFS. 1.023, PH 7.9, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 9 nitrates. Video Here

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I got a pair of ORA clowns 5 days ago. The bigger female is eating a lot. The smaller one spits out a lot. But Im not concerned about that too much. Might take longer for the little guy to adjust. My main concern is that I noticed my female clown doing this weird jolting zig zag swimming motion. She does it for a second and resumes waddling like normal. Is this normal? Am I just overreacting to clowns being clowns? My parameters are stable, I had them ckecked yesterday by my LFS. 1.023, PH 7.9, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 9 nitrates. Video Here
Kinda looks like she’s trying to get the guy to twitch, mine does that sometimes

OP
OP
Raamish14

Raamish14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda looks like she’s trying to get the guy to twitch, mine does that sometimes
Okay that makes sense. She was bullying the little guy and he was a little stressed. No torn fins or anything but he had his fins clamped. Both are doing better now, albeit the smaller one is still spitting out some food. Thanks for letting me know this is possibly a dominance thing.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that makes sense. She was bullying the little guy and he was a little stressed. No torn fins or anything but he had his fins clamped. Both are doing better now, albeit the smaller one is still spitting out some food. Thanks for letting me know this is possibly a dominance thing.
Yeah, mine did that too when they were pairing up… thought I was going to have to send her back :face-with-tears-of-joy:

They are best friends now though

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back