Is this normal firefish behavior? Or is he sick?

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've had him for a month and he's in there with a threadfin cardinal and nothing else except for corals. This is the first time I've seen him like this. He's always been hiding for 3 weeks (coming out occasionally), but for the past week, he's been coming out and swimming in the tank, but I saw this through my camera and got worried. Is this normal?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I've had him for a month and he's in there with a threadfin cardinal and nothing else except for corals. This is the first time I've seen him like this. He's always been hiding for 3 weeks, but for the past week, he's been coming out and swimming in the tank, but I saw this through my camera and got worried. Is this normal?
This is flashing and darting and may be flukes. See if fish is still doing this tomorrow. If so, Prazi Pro will be treatment and you can even try a 4-5 minute freshwater dip to dislodge any that may be present and give it temporary relief

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is flashing and darting and may be flukes. See if fish is still doing this tomorrow. If so, Prazi Pro will be treatment and you can even try a 4-5 minute freshwater dip to dislodge any that may be present and give it temporary relief
So for a freshwater drip, do I just use rodi water? and just put the fish in a container with it and wait 5 minutes?

Also for prazi pro, I would have to take out the fish and put him in a seperate tank to treat it right? Can't be in the same tank as corals/other fish I'm guessing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for a freshwater drip, do I just use rodi water? and just put the fish in a container with it and wait 5 minutes?

Also for prazi pro, I would have to take out the fish and put him in a seperate tank to treat it right? Can't be in the same tank as corals/other fish I'm guessing.

+1 on this is flashing, probably caused by flukes. I think a FW dip is going to be tough to do - very stressful to try and catch that firefish out of the tank. Since the flukes are in the tank itself, a full tank treatment is better. Prazipro can be used in a tank with corals. You need to dose it twice, 8 or 9 days apart, but you need to add good aeration from an air stone, and remove carbon filtration. If you tank has a skimmer, keep the skimmer running, just don't collect any skimmate for the first 3 days after each dose.

Jay

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this is flashing, probably caused by flukes. I think a FW dip is going to be tough to do - very stressful to try and catch that firefish out of the tank. Since the flukes are in the tank itself, a full tank treatment is better. Prazipro can be used in a tank with corals. You need to dose it twice, 8 or 9 days apart, but you need to add good aeration from an air stone, and remove carbon filtration. If you tank has a skimmer, keep the skimmer running, just don't collect any skimmate for the first 3 days after each dose.

Jay
I observed the tank today and didnt see the firefish "flashing" again. Should I still dose with prazipro?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I observed the tank today and didnt see the firefish "flashing" again. Should I still dose with prazipro?
No - it could have just had something on its skin causing a temporary itch. I saw a LOT of flashing in the video, if you see more than a couple of flashes in five minutes, you should treat.
Jay

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - it could have just had something on its skin causing a temporary itch. I saw a LOT of flashing in the video, if you see more than a couple of flashes in five minutes, you should treat.
Jay
Yea the video was about a minute (flashing only lasted that minute), and after that minute the firefish just swims away to a nearby rock. I'll make sure to keep observing, thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Hi, I just saw the firefish "dart" again 4 times just now and that was it (literally just 4 times and that was it). I've also seen a behavior in both the cardinal and firefish where they "bite" thin air (there's no food, they're just biting for no reason). Should I start dosing or observe some more?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just saw the firefish "dart" again 4 times just now and that was it (literally just 4 times and that was it). I've also seen a behavior in both the cardinal and firefish where they "bite" thin air (there's no food, they're just biting for no reason). Should I start dosing or observe some more?

Darting forward like that is another symptom of possible flukes. I think you should dose with prazipro in the next day or so. It is a safe medication, it is just a bit costly. Dose it 2x, 8 or 9 days apart with good aeration. Keep your skimmer running, but don't collect the skimmate. Remove carbon filtration for the first 3 days afte each dose.

Jay

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darting forward like that is another symptom of possible flukes. I think you should dose with prazipro in the next day or so. It is a safe medication, it is just a bit costly. Dose it 2x, 8 or 9 days apart with good aeration. Keep your skimmer running, but don't collect the skimmate. Remove carbon filtration for the first 3 days afte each dose.

Jay
What about the fish "biting thin air", they keep biting nothing (there's no food and it doesn't look like they're gasping for air and they bite with a little bit of "force" rather than just gasping). Is that a symptom for flukes or is that normal?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the fish "biting thin air", they keep biting nothing (there's no food and it doesn't look like they're gasping for air and they bite with a little bit of "force" rather than just gasping). Is that a symptom for flukes or is that normal?

I took that to mean they were rushing forward, and that's another type of flashing. If you can capture it on a video, I might be able to tell better.

Jay

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took that to mean they were rushing forward, and that's another type of flashing. If you can capture it on a video, I might be able to tell better.

Jay

I got 2 videos in which the "biting" happened, any thoughts on this?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got 2 videos in which the "biting" happened, any thoughts on this?

No - that is actually biting, the firefish is swallowing something in the water too small for you to see, that's normal. I was worried it was more an open-mouthed rush, and that is a sign of flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - that is actually biting, the firefish is swallowing something in the water too small for you to see, that's normal. I was worried it was more an open-mouthed rush, and that is a sign of flukes.

Jay
Should I just treat the tank anyway just incase? Is there any harm to treat if the everything is normal?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I just treat the tank anyway just incase? Is there any harm to treat if the everything is normal?

Prazipro is a low risk treatment. My Sunday morning post explains how to use it in this instance.

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back