Is this normal for Goni and Leather?

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

I bought a bunchbof Goni, Torch, Hammars,

and a leather thia Sunday from RAP NY

All are doing great except the toadstool leather coral and the neon-bright green Goni.

Both were looking and doing well at RAP .... rest of my tank looking super.

Its been 3 days - the leather atays bald mostly and i have not seen any fish nibble at it. The neon Goni has not extended its tentacles at all while all other Gonis i bought are extended doing beautifully.

Any thoughts?

20220629_164748.jpg 20220629_164448.jpg 20220625_170038.jpg 20220625_170042.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I bought a bunchbof Goni, Torch, Hammars,

and a leather thia Sunday from RAP NY

All are doing great except the toadstool leather coral and the neon-bright green Goni.

Both were looking and doing well at RAP .... rest of my tank looking super.

Its been 3 days - the leather atays bald mostly and i have not seen any fish nibble at it. The neon Goni has not extended its tentacles at all while all other Gonis i bought are extended doing beautifully.

Any thoughts?

20220629_164748.jpg 20220629_164448.jpg 20220625_170038.jpg 20220625_170042.jpg
The leather needs both medium flow and light so place at mid to upper third of tank. Goni is picky and may take time to fully open. For goni, goniopora are a photosynthetic coral so they derive some of their nutritional requirements from light. This is done through a symbiotic relationship with dinoflagellates called zooxanthellae that live in the flesh of the coral. The dinoflagellates are actually the photosynthetic organism and the Goniopora colony derives nutrients off of the byproducts of the dinoflagellates’ photosynthetic process. Zooxanthellae is usually brown in color and the coral tightly regulates the population living in its flesh. Too little light will cause the coral to turn brown in color.
I would not recommend blasting Goniopora with a lot of light. I don’t think there are a lot of advantages to doing so. If you start to see the coral starting to turn lighter and bleach out, it is likely the result of high lighting intensity. When in doubt, favor lower lighting intensities until it is clear that the coral is demanding more.
One mistake I think some reef keepers make is providing them too much flow. If you have a powerhead blowing right at Goniopora from short range, it may kill off some of the tissue at that point of contact and cause a chain reaction to the rest of the colony.
Goniopora appreciate low to medium flow, but preferably with some randomness to it. That way you will get that gentle waving motion which helps keep the coral clean and brings food past the colony. If you see the tentacles violently thrashing about, that is probably too much flow and it would benefit from being relocated to a more calm section of the tank.
Lack of food is a big issue with these coral and there are two types of food to provide Goniopora. The first is liquid amino acids. In short, they are simple organic compounds that play a major role in building proteins as well as other biological functions at the cellular level. Corals regularly take in available amino acids from the water column so it is easy to provide them with adequate quantities by broadcast feeding an amino acid solution.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for detailed knowledge sharing.

The lether is in just a bit higher than mid ofntank and gets medium light and medium flow

Do flagfin or coral beauty or quoyii eat leather? They do NOT eat any other corals or Nems.

Goninis getting low light and low flow. rhere are 2 rockflowers next to the Goni and they are thriving, there are 4 other Goni thriving in same tank.

These get some mysis and brine shrimp as i feed just above the Goni.

Could the neon Goni be wild cut and difficult to survive?

Could i get any bacterial infection when the leather and/ or Goni dies?

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Here is the before and current of leatger (toadstool). The Palys hitchhikers are now missing. . Likely some fish munched (flagfin or parrot or coral beauty?)? I never caught any fish munching ever but rhey cud. .. so i do not yet want to remove of the fishes....

Would you recommend i give up on leather and remove (so it does not die in tank) or keep it and hope my culprit will improve or you think the leather is molting ...

Last night i put in chemipure blue and UV ...

BTW, i have my one big BTA not doing too well ... i did not feed it/ no fish in a month, it was a natural split from its neighbor and was VERY healthy untill after i put bunch of corals from RAP.NYC ...any suggestions :
1. What is goijg on
2. Should i treat the Nem (with what) or let it fight it out⁷
3. Shoiild i remove the entire Nem [and save my rest of tanmates.

20220630_194815.jpg 20220630_180836.jpg 20220629_164448.jpg 20220626_084925.jpg 20220625_170021.jpg 20220625_170223.jpg 20220625_215536.jpg

Attachments

• 20220629_164545.mp4
    14 MB

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s a great looking tank. Keep up what you are doing.

couple of things have been noted already.

it’s always good to start Gonis With low light and low but random flow(make sure it’s not getting smothered by anything around).

For the leather, is it possible to move it in an area where the angle cannot pick on it.

Sam

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back