Is this RBTA dying?

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 4 bulb tip anemones.. One Green and three rose.. I have moved the one in question all over the tank trying to help him... He's eating and still attached but looks horrible.. Most of the time he stays in a ball. Not deflated just inside itself.. I moved him last night under the flow but still so he could get light and I target feed him so he's open but doesn't look good.. What can I do to help him? And if he's on his last leg should I move him to qt? I don't want to stress him out and at the same time I don't want to zap my whole tank:. Is there meds I can give target feed or give in a way? Please help.. I am not one who knows it all and anemones are my favorite ..

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting do you have? Looks like their really reaching for light.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting do you have? Looks like their really reaching for light.
They all look like they are reaching for light? I have the fluval marine and reef 2.0.. I know I need another one but I pull it to the front of the aquarium so they can get the most lighting and they will sometimes move beneath the rock.. I have literally placed the one in question high and low left and right and nothing has changed..

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the pictures load correctly.. The first one is today.. I moved it closer to the lights.. Second one shows just how far away from lights. Also bought a second fluval 2.0 marine and reef light and the third is the others that seem to be reaching for light. But hey why not move around to the top of the rock.. Haha @Salty1962 anymore suggestions? @Humblefish @melypr1985 do you guys know anyone I can add to this that may know about my problem?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The benefits to adding another fixture will not be seen so quickly.
It took a while for the anemones to reach the state their in under insufficient lighting, the fix will not be immediate.
If those anemones will take tiny pieces of raw sea food such as shrimp, scallops, fish, then you should feed them.
Trying to move anemones to what you may believe is a more optimal position/placement is a fruitless effort, the anemone will move. I would definitely let the anemone find it's own placement.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The benefits to adding another fixture will not be seen so quickly.
It took a while for the anemones to reach the state their in under insufficient lighting, the fix will not be immediate.
If those anemones will take tiny pieces of raw sea food such as shrimp, scallops, fish, then you should feed them.
Trying to move anemones to what you may believe is a more optimal position/placement is a fruitless effort, the anemone will move. I would definitely let the anemone find it's own placement.

Good luck.
I agree they will move but this one isn't and doesn't look good.. I believe he had plenty of light but still looks bad. I do feed it fresh shrimp once a week target feeding and mysis other times

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to possibly needing more light, have you tested all your water parameters? Especially nitrates? It kinda looks like a lot of your corals are closed up.

iLLwiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those RBTAs look bad, all of them. What are "perfect" water parameters to you (SG, cal, alk, NO3, etc)? Also, I dont see those lights being enough for anything besides softies they use 0.08w LED's ... how old is your tank and what size is it?

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. What are your parameters? Please post them as perfect wont be justified. Your lighting def is your major issue tho. How old is your tank?

Good luck with it.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going to chime in something at least partially said. Just from looking at pictures and the faded color of all the BTA's you don't have enough light. BTA's, especially RBTA's, require intense lighting and in all reality do best under metal halide. That's not to say LED is not good but it needs to be the right amount of light. Even with the 5 Kessil's I have now at fairly high intensity my RBTA's all migrated to top of tank and stayed there after I switched from MH/T5 but are doing fine.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. What are your parameters? Please post them as perfect wont be justified. Your lighting def is your major issue tho. How old is your tank?
My salinity is 1.026
My ammonia is 0
And temp is 78
Tank is 8 months old
I am using fluval 2.0 marine and reef and I have two of them now..

Just going to chime in something at least partially said. Just from looking at pictures and the faded color of all the BTA's you don't have enough light. BTA's, especially RBTA's, require intense lighting and in all reality do best under metal halide. That's not to say LED is not good but it needs to be the right amount of light. Even with the 5 Kessil's I have now at fairly high intensity my RBTA's all migrated to top of tank and stayed there after I switched from MH/T5 but are doing fine.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is 1.026
My ammonia is 0
And temp is 78
Tank is 8 months old
I am using fluval 2.0 marine and reef and I have two of them now..

I replied above and it looks like someone else said it.. Anyway

image.png

Courtney Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EA0D5BD2-6C6D-4FF1-9C79-8C0BCC263483.JPG
07CE4FB3-3FB0-40B6-8465-AB7DCC9092E4.JPG
Im new to this and can't figure out how to post my own thread and I need some help fast! Our rbta is so stressed and looks terrible! Ive attached two images of how she looks right now. What should we do?!!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 74 52.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back