Is this STN?

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this stn or tissue die off due to shading?

It seems to be bleaching very slowely. Over the last few months.
Could it be due to how those spots are now shaded due to placement?

Thanks all,

E24ABC04-D90C-4551-8BA0-97CB203729CB.jpeg 1A4ACCF5-7ECD-468A-A52A-1527DCD107D4.jpeg 1B346037-EB88-4202-B8DF-DE8AE5EE5674.jpeg 0ECA13F9-FDDC-46E7-A9D3-BCAB2CA7D839.jpeg

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had that guy? I've found it very beneficial to mount SPS on the edge of a rock, but with that extra added surface area for additional light, there will be parts that do not receive any light, it is entirely possible that the piece hidden from light is simply losing its color while other parts receive the light they need. As frags grow into colonies its not terribly uncommon to see this in parts that are not receiving any light.
Are you getting polyp extension on the other parts of the coral?

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had that guy? I've found it very beneficial to mount SPS on the edge of a rock, but with that extra added surface area for additional light, there will be parts that do not receive any light, it is entirely possible that the piece hidden from light is simply losing its color while other parts receive the light they need. As frags grow into colonies its not terribly uncommon to see this in parts that are not receiving any light.
Are you getting polyp extension on the other parts of the coral?
I have had them for about 3 and 4 months.
Thepurple tort seemed to be damaged as it popped off the frag. And is either slow to heal or STN.
The purple bonsai generally has better polyp extension, but nothing crazy.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them for about 3 and 4 months.
Thepurple tort seemed to be damaged as it popped off the frag. And is either slow to heal or STN.
The purple bonsai generally has better polyp extension, but nothing crazy.
It appears one is forming a base around the plug, on the opposite side of the bleaching. I would monitor, you should start seeing more coloration on the side facing the lights and browning (ultimately bleaching) on the underside.
If you've seen growth since you got them, I think you may be good, but monitor closely as SPS can go quick once it decides it is not happy.

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears one is forming a base around the plug, on the opposite side of the bleaching. I would monitor, you should start seeing more coloration on the side facing the lights and browning (ultimately bleaching) on the underside.
If you've seen growth since you got them, I think you may be good, but monitor closely as SPS can go quick once it decides it is not happy.
Is it normal to see tissue die off due to shading? Is it just the way I mounted the frag? I have noticed something similar on a monti digitata where shaded areas are bleached .

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back