Is this the beginning of the end?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Greybeardedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea G1 reefer 300xl. Is this the start of the seam failing?

20221216_214512.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's sand below the seam line, yeah - it might be. I would touch base with Red Sea at your earliest convenience and get their take on it as well. How old is the tank?

OP
OP
G

Greybeardedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's sand below the seam line, yeah - it might be. I would touch base with Red Sea at your earliest convenience and get their take on it as well. How old is the tank?
Hi, thanks for your response. I bought the tank in October 2021. I have contacted the lfs where I bought it from and said I need some help. I just wanted people's opinions and maybe see how Red sea have been handling other tank fails.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for your response. I bought the tank in October 2021. I have contacted the lfs where I bought it from and said I need some help. I just wanted people's opinions and maybe see how Red sea have been handling other tank fails.
I can't speak for others, but Red Sea has been really great getting back to me so far with non-related tank stuff. So definitely touch base with them as you should still be under warranty.

Also, the orange pails from Home Depot are food grade - so it never hurts to have a dozen or more of them on hand (just in case).

OP
OP
G

Greybeardedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for others, but Red Sea has been really great getting back to me so far with non-related tank stuff. So definitely touch base with them as you should still be under warranty.

Also, the orange pails from Home Depot are food grade - so it never hurts to have a dozen or more of them on hand (just in case).
Shouldn't be like that. RS have been making tanks for years, we as consumers should have faith in their manufacturing and not have to check the seams and worry. I have a big plastic Koi tank my mate has let me borrow in case I need to get all my livestock out.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be like that. RS have been making tanks for years, we as consumers should have faith in their manufacturing and not have to check the seams and worry. I have a big plastic Koi tank my mate has let me borrow in case I need to get all my livestock out.
I really wish I knew what to say. I don't know if your tank is compromised or the circumstances around it.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely contact them and don't let them convince you that its ok like how they did with other costumers, let them replace it for you at the earliest.

OP
OP
G

Greybeardedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely contact them and don't let them convince you that its ok like how they did with other costumers, let them replace it for you at the earliest.
Truth is, I don't want another RS aquarium, the amount of tank fails I have now seen across the Internet is frightening. But yes, I will dig my heels in and get a resolution one way or another.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth is, I don't want another RS aquarium, the amount of tank fails I have now seen across the Internet is frightening. But yes, I will dig my heels in and get a resolution one way or another.
I am in a simlar boat I have one and regret buying it because of all the horror stories, they are great tanks while they last.
Also welcome to R2R!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Rob.

Yeah that doesn't look good and the separation is in line where w see a lot of the RS tank failures.

They have a list of the tanks somewhere that are affected. Not sure if the 300xl is on that list.
How is this a gen 1 tank, but only a year old? Did you buy it used?

OP
OP
G

Greybeardedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Rob.

Yeah that doesn't look good and the separation is in line where w see a lot of the RS tank failures.

They have a list of the tanks somewhere that are affected. Not sure if the 300xl is on that list.
How is this a gen 1 tank, but only a year old? Did you buy it used?
I bought it in October 2021 here in the UK. The G2 hadn't been launched over here then.

qterry22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Get a replacement and then sell it. If you have a place to temporarily hold your live stock. Then get a tank from glasscages.com. I got mine built by them and its 3/4" low iron glass, seam protectors with starboard bottom (BB tank). Not the cheapest option but hands down great quality in my own personal experience.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back