OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going with a heavy stock (which I do as well) you'll need to accept a few things.

One being not all Fish are suitable for heavily stocked tank. Naturally, slow or skittish eaters may get starved out.

Go fish by fish to ensure you have a suitable environment for them to thrive. Sand sleepers need a lot of sand, cave sleepers, Need plenty of them.

Feeding heavy is your friend, which also means you should be prepared to remove excess built up nutrients.

Aggression sometimes can't be helped. I threw in the towel on Scopas tangs after having 3 Mean ones. My 5" Desjardini killed a 6" CBB overnight after into because they looked too similar. I love me some Gem tangs, I hate their attitudes so I don't keep them any longer.

It can Absolutely be done, within reason. You gotta buy in though.
Do you have a thread that shows what you’ve done?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do to resolve the issue between Tang and Angel, other than time passing?
Honestly, I just let time do its thing. I feed straight after adding any new fish as well which helped quite a bit. I still see aggression from the tang here and there but never towards newbies and always towards the old guys. And when there is aggression, it just isn’t enough to cause any real issues.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a thread that shows what you’ve done?
I do. Hit the blue Build Thread under my handle.

That one has gone a bit stale (to everyone's appreciation I'm sure :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: ) because I'm elbow deep in the new build.

I'll be opening up a new thread soon for the 312g.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. Hit the blue Build Thread under my handle.

That one has gone a bit stale (to everyone's appreciation I'm sure :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: ) because I'm elbow deep in the new build.

I'll be opening up a new thread soon for the 312g.
I need to follow your threads at some point.
I like seeing opinions on QT as well as other things.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be a heavily stocked tank. What would be your suggestions/changes if this was your list?
I would pick the fish I like - its totally up to you IMHO - you can put the whole list in - but - its my opinion you will have problems, and that whichever fish you choose you should fully quarantine them

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll add the two fairies atst if I can, and if I can’t I’ll add the Naoko last like you said. I figured the wrasse would eat them, since the angel leaves the poor snail wherever when he gets bored. I’ll definitely tread with caution with the blenny, and yea my tank is going to be an SPS dominant :grimacing-face:, no plans on keeping millies though.

Lovely tang you got there :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:. Since you showed your little guy, I wanted to show you mine, I heard you wanted one like this in one of your other threads? Don’t think you we’re looking for a priceless hybrid though:
1664297872805.jpeg

How do you know it is a hybrid? Just generally curious if you bought it as such or what happened.

There are so many that look really close to each other and they change color from juvi's to adults... I am not sure even the experts can tell them apart until they are mature adults. The tail will change as it matures. I am sure hybrids happen tho.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know it is a hybrid? Just generally curious if you bought it as such or what happened.

There are so many that look really close to each other and they change color from juvi's to adults... I am not sure even the experts can tell them apart until they are mature adults. The tail will change as it matures. I am sure hybrids happen tho.
So like I told @icantthink, I originally didn’t know it was a hybrid. I just thought it was a regular Chaetodontoplus melanosoma, but after some digging and speaking to people it turns out he was half melanosoma and half of the unknown genus of Chaetodontoplus the Black Phantom falls into, with the Black Phantom being the rarest angelfish in the world. Now I didn’t know it fell into the Black Phantom category, so I thought it was just something very pretty, so I just went ahead with the purchase. It wasn’t a few days later I found the Reefbuilders article and did some tests of my own I found out what the fish really was. I got him for a steal too. I hope this helps

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also I’m very sorry I didn’t post my new thread last night….I fell asleep lol. I’m working on posting it today but with the hurricane and all idk if I’ll be able to answer back for a few hours

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I got him he was 90% done transitioning out of juvie colors. Now that he many months have passed and he is around 5”, he‘s finished transitioning. He has gained color though, before he had almost all black on his upper sides, but now has turned more grayish white. His tail being almost all black turned almost all yellow, then his tail grew black again with only a yellow rim, and now he has a black trapezoid with the rest yellow and the beginning of his tail yellowish gray

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leopards are not that difficult... many of the fish on the list is fine, it is just so many that even the peaceful ones may get aggressive and then you have deaths or have to remove and rehome.

I tried two bristletooths before the yellow and BOTH were HORRIBLE and MEAN!! The yellow is the only one that was mild for me. I totally gave up on bristletooths.

My leopards/Halichoeres would not let me keep any flasher wrasses, period. They were tormented. I caught and sold the flashers.

I think what it comes down to is my tank is too small to do a lot of mixing.
I wonder what's up with some bristletooths... my tomini was such a chill fish for months, but then all of a sudden decided to start harassing any new fish. He also doesn't like my diamond goby, which is super weird. I really like him but he also is a lazy bum who doesn't do any algae cleanup - just got fat on nori, lol. I got a tiny baby yellow tang a couple weeks ago that's still in an acclimation box because the tomini tried to attack it nonstop when I first tried introducing it. I hate to say it but with how aggressive he's become, the tomini may need to get rehomed. Shame, because he's a beautiful fish. I didn't realize maybe he'd become a jerk in adulthood.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who’s Paul?
He is an old, bald headed Geezer who is set in his ways, argumentative and probably senile so I would not listen to him. He probably can't even keep guppies.

By the way, I am not even speaking to him. :astonished-face:

goldfish423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface are not slow growing... they grow fast! That is like their thing :) And magnificent gets bigger than a one spot. I never had a foxface or real algae issues... soo hmm :) Guess the snails eat it!

I have a 80g and 15 fish in it (and 2 more in the fuge). The bioload is pretty massive so that is something to keep in mind if you want corals that like lower nutrients. I wanted to add a few more fish but even my peaceful species are kind of *****... I think they know there is no more room. lol

Only two of my fish are "bigger" - copperband and yellow tang

Here is my list:

Male bluestar leopard wrasse (was female, turned male 4 years later and also turned fairly aggressive, pretty much won't let me add new fish now but no longer torments tank mates)
Royal gramma
Percula clown x2
China wrasse
Radiant wrasse x2 -
I bought 2 because they are tricky but they both lived through QT, they spawn but eventually they will probably both turn male and one will have to be removed.
Earmuff wrasse
Yellow tang
Copperband butterfly
Marine Betta
Tailspot blenny
Springer damsel
Flame angel -
also kind of a jerk to anyone nearby, I may remove this fish.
Hasslets goby

Sump:
Starkii damsel -
she and the flame have beef
Multibar angelfish - will be moved to it's own tank soon, probably grow it out and replace the flame with it.

I feed very very heavy, have a 20g fuge and a skimmer rated for 200g and dose DIY nopox. It used to be a mixed tank but I switched to softies because I don't have time to make sure numbers stay where they should :)

I have had a few losses here or there and have removed a handful of fish while stocking for aggression/just didn't work issues... tried two different bristletooths... both turned horrible and ended up with the yellow tang instead. I had a second leopard wrasse (Kuiters) but after a few years, lost it... it got spooked and injured itself. Ugh. It was also a huge dick though... I had to remove an orange dot wrasse because it was a jerk and I wanted radiants more. I could not keep any flasher wrasses as other wrasses (leopard/halichoeres) would torment them. They all got rehomed.

It was basically trial and error to find a group of fish who would work.

I don't think I could add anything else at this point without removing some fish except maybe a goby or jawfish since they sit on the bottom. I might remove the Flame angel... I am kind of getting sick of his ****.
Send me your other radiant wrasse ;)
If that happens.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back