Is your aquarium water as CLEAR as you would like?

Is your aquarium water as CLEAR as you would like?

• YES

Votes: 389 59.8%
  • NO

Votes: 228 35.1%
  • Don't care that much

Votes: 24 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 1.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen many reef aquariums where the water is so clear it seems that there is no water at all! Of course good glass or acrylic can play a part in that but it's mostly due to the ability to keep the water column clean! So let's talk about it today!

1. How clear is your aquarium water and does it matter to you?

2. What are the best ways you have found to keep your water clear?

@Broadfield has one of these super clear reefs!
32638538282_b18f6e6c3d_h.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. My aquarium water is fairly clear but it would always be better to be clearer. Sometimes it's hard to tell though because I don't clean my glass nearly as often as I should. I also don't do anything to help make it clearer, so no filter socks/pads/rollers and I rarely run carbon.

2. I have considered using ozone on my tank, but other than that mechanical filtration and carbon are common techniques to help keep water clear...I don't do any of these things.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2" wide strips of blue/white sponge coiled into filter sock media holder does most of the polishing. I run carbon but if missed don't see much impact to clarity.

Added UV for pathogen control last year and that seemed to take it from "crystal" to a "shimmering" clear.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope; tons of particulates.

My filter roll (AquaCave sold it as a "Bubble Magus" but that brand isn't anywhere on the instruction manual so maybe they rebranded?) lasted about 10 days on a fresh-out-the-box roll. It worked quite well when it was working, but I wasn't prepared to reorder so soon. And if they always last 10 days, that's like $70 a month on toilet paper. So now I'm looking into those low-cost coolant filter paper things (anyone know a reliable source other than "buy some from eBay"?)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gin clear and I don't use any prefiltration at all. I do use an Oxydator which ensures any yellowing is oxidized and a good skimmer.
Same as @atoll mentioned.

But for me, I do have things suspended in the water column that would make one say, it is not clear. The water is crystal clear, but the rest is mostly stuff my NPS and other corals eat. It just goes with the flow (pun intended) and then gets eaten when it gets eaten.

So I say yes and no lol.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as @atoll mentioned.

But for me, I do have things suspended in the water column that would make one say, it is not clear. The water is crystal clear, but the rest is mostly stuff my NPS and other corals eat. It just goes with the flow (pun intended) and then gets eaten when it gets eaten.

So I say yes and no lol.
Of course I have bits in my water from time to time what with spawning and feeding but in general the water itself is gin clear with no signs of yellowing.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly in my opinion, 100% clean water isn’t as natural as like 90-95% clean water - My water is very clear however it’s often hard to tell because I like to keep some glass with algae for the tang, Foxface and snails to chew on

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I take pictures of my tank it looks crystal clear. But up close there are thousands of particles floating around, just like the ocean. IMO corals (especially acros) don't like it crystal clear. They like it a little dirty. I run a little carbon to keep the water from yellowing, although I've had it offline for the last month and there has been no difference in clarity. I find the best determination is to look through your aquarium from the end. Anyone can get a clear aquarium from the front! ;)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone can get a clear aquarium from the front!
I agree completely. When I look through the front of my glass it's very clear through those 18" of water. It's not until I look through 6' of water that I realize my water is not very clear.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back