Isn't It Strange?

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone ever took an electric needle or boiling water and killed our beloved BTA with it and made us watch, it would probably make us ill as it slowly withered and died, but if its an anemone that is small and rather unattractive, we don't feel a thing for it. I guess this proves that for most of us, our corals and anemones are like nice pieces of furniture, collectible trains or a painting. We attach nothing more than a materialistic association to these animals.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone ever took an electric needle or boiling water and killed our beloved BTA with it and made us watch, it would probably make us ill as it slowly withered and died, but if its an anemone that is small and rather unattractive, we don't feel a thing for it. I guess this proves that for most of us, our corals and anemones are like nice pieces of furniture, collectible trains or a painting. We attach nothing more than a materialistic association to these animals.

With all the hard work, money, time, and effort that we put into this hobby...i would be devastated if someone intentionally harmed my tank!! I wouldn't even say materialistic because at least if my car was wrecked i could replace it and not be so sad...but what if it was a coral or fish that you had for years and watched it grow from a little guy. It's family more then possession.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I view it as a nasty animal that cannot be
trained to be nice and is killing other animals.

Same as if you had wild coyotes killing other animals.

Sometimes your only option is to put
it down for the good of the others.

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So untrue!!! Just as in real life, there are pests and non-pests. When one of our pests is irritating us or our "family" we do what we need to take it out. Same for me in my tank.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dunno about you, but the loss I feel when a prized coral dies is way beyond materialistic, I feel like i've failed a child or dear pet, and more failed to be competent enough to provide for it.

As far as killing of pests go- for me it's always a matter of trying to not harm anything unless it's a matter of choosing which thing gets harmed. If it's just an unsightly thing I leave it be (as in the only thing it's hurting is my aesthetics, hence the planeria infestation I used to have in one of my tanks) but when things begin to harm each other, I don't mind stepping in as a guiding force to choose which thing gets to win (killed off the planeria as soon as they begin harming the corals in the tank.)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back