Isopod?

  • Thread starter Thread starter stpnrazr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

stpnrazr

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 5, 2015
Messages
9
Reaction score
28
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw some of these on a disk with a Montipora I brought home. Tossed the disk, pickled the bugs in ethanol and photographed with a dissecting scope. Look like isopods, but I don't remember having seen anything like them before. Maybe about 1 mm long. Nothing seems to be bothered, but I thought someone may have seen these before.
Unk Arth 0004sm.jpg

Unk Arth ventral sm 0003.jpg
 
Saw some of these on a disk with a Montipora I brought home. Tossed the disk, pickled the bugs in ethanol and photographed with a dissecting scope. Look like isopods, but I don't remember having seen anything like them before. Maybe about 1 mm long. Nothing seems to be bothered, but I thought someone may have seen these before.
Unk Arth 0004sm.jpg

Unk Arth ventral sm 0003.jpg
A Seroloidean Isopod, commonly called a Sand-skater/Trisobite:
Definitely a Seroloidean isopod - these are also known as Trisobites or Sand Skaters, and they should be harmless/beneficial.

I don't recall coming across a taxonomic key for the individual families in the superfamily at the moment, and photos are pretty scarce for a few of the families, so I can't narrow it down beyond that point at the moment.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new