Issues Configuring Dual Purpose RODI

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fish_Fry
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Fish_Fry

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2022
Messages
163
Reaction score
214
Location
Denver
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some ideas and help on my RODI plumbing to better understand if what I want to do is possible.

The first part is very straightforward. I have a RODI in the basement which fills up a 55 gallon container. There are two float valves that turn the booster pump on and off depending on the level in the container. This part works as designed.

After the RO stage I have a splitter that sends RO water upstairs for drinking. I have a Spectrapure drinking water add on which includes a small, pressurized tank and faucet under my kitchen sink. This is where I am running into difficulties.

The issue:

If the booster pump is off, the system will not send water to the kitchen. I make tank water about once a week so most of the time the pump is off. I can manually turn the booster pump on, and while this feeds the kitchen it also wastes 3 gal /hr.

Is there anyway to have the system (booster pump or whatever is needed) turn on and off based upon the level of the pressure tank in the kitchen? I would still need a way to override this to make aquarium water.

I tried having the booster pump on a timer, so once or twice a day it would come on long enough to fill the pressurized tank. It worked but it wasn’t ideal as my daily kitchen RO water usage tends to fluctuate. Rightfully so, my wife gets frustrated when it doesn’t work like I promised.

Thanks for the ideas,

Tom
 
we use a permeate pump to fill our pressure tanks. it increases the efficiency of the RO membranes and uses the waste water to drive the pump. Works like a charm.
Also, Do you have a check valve on the supply to the pressure tank?
 
I don't use a permeate pump or check valve.

My understanding is that a permeate pump might make the water production more efficient but it wouldn't solve my issue. Same for the check valve. If my booster pump is off, water remains in the pressurized tank. Perhaps it would prevent some water from flowing back through the lines but the savings would be minimal.

That said when the booster pump is running and both the pressurized tank and mixing station are full I am wasting 3 gallons an hour. Would the check valve eliminate this waste?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new