Issues specific to Montipora

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of Forest Fire Montis and green Montis...both plating and branched. The rest of my tank is filled with Acros. The Montis have always been the quickest growing with me having to break off branches almost weekly to keep them from overgrowing other coral. For whatever reason, over the last week or so, I am losing flesh on almost all of the branching Montis. The rest of the coral (including the more sensitive Acros) are doing fine. ALK and CA consumption has also slowed way down, indicating the Montis are no longer growing. Neither water parameters nor tank routines have changed at all. Is there anything I am missing besides Monti eating Nudis that affect only that species of coral? I would assume it almost has to be a pest since the more sensitive coral are all doing fine?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at the other end of the spectrum on N03 lately. Climbed up 40ppm and my montipora digitata's and caps retracted and paled. Acro's looked fine. Did two large water changes and started carbon dosing, I'm down to 20ppm and they are recovering now. Alkalinity stayed the same throughout this period at 8.6 as did P04 at .02. Going to keep dosing till I get to 5-10.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nudis or no nutrients
Doesn't appear to be either.......NO3 sitting at 5 and phosphates are .03. If it is Nudis, I can't see any. I also haven't added anything new for several months. I always seem to find these strange, explainable issues lol. The only thing that I can think of that changed was I cleaned my Radion lenses for the first time, but they didn't seem dirty at all. I have reduced the light intensity (I am only at 46% for the pair of G3 Pros over a 105G tank with wide angle lenses). Would a slight increase in intensity affect Montis but not Acros?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't appear to be either.......NO3 sitting at 5 and phosphates are .03. If it is Nudis, I can't see any. I also haven't added anything new for several months. I always seem to find these strange, explainable issues lol. The only thing that I can think of that changed was I cleaned my Radion lenses for the first time, but they didn't seem dirty at all. I have reduced the light intensity (I am only at 46% for the pair of G3 Pros over a 105G tank with wide angle lenses). Would a slight increase in intensity affect Montis but not Acros?

My montipora are a little more sensitive to light changes than my acro's. I'd say yes.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My montipora are a little more sensitive to light changes than my acro's. I'd say yes.
Ok thanks......I am gonna assume that is what happened for now and leave my lights at 46% and watch them. I just cant see how people can run their Radions at 100%.....my coral seem to react negatively if I go over 55%.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks......I am gonna assume that is what happened for now and leave my lights at 46% and watch them. I just cant see how people can run their Radions at 100%.....my coral seem to react negatively if I go over 55%.
I can’t run my radions high either, especially the whites or my coral start bleaching even with diffuser. I ended up adding t5 to increase my par and so far coral are loving it!

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t run my radions high either, especially the whites or my coral start bleaching even with diffuser. I ended up adding t5 to increase my par and so far coral are loving it!
At least it isn't just me lol......I considered adding T5s as well but ended up just sticking with the LEDs.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's just a monti thing. My tank was also filled with them and occasionally one would bleach and the others would be fine. Eventually, it re grew. It happened a few times and my largest one, about a foot across completely croaked while the others were fine.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's just a monti thing. My tank was also filled with them and occasionally one would bleach and the others would be fine. Eventually, it re grew. It happened a few times and my largest one, about a foot across completely croaked while the others were fine.
I think that is my biggest issue with keeping coral....you can do everything right and still fail lol. I hate not knowing what caused something to not go right :)

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s the white channel that does the most damage when turned up. At least with the Radion you can adjust all the channels independently.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the white channel that does the most damage when turned up. At least with the Radion you can adjust all the channels independently.
Yeah....my whites are very low and always have been.....I never adjust those, just the intensities. My whites/reds/greens are all under 25% and have been for over a year. My tank just can't seem to handle intense lighting for some reason.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is my biggest issue with keeping coral....you can do everything right and still fail lol. I hate not knowing what caused something to not go right :)

I just forget about it and go and have a nice glass of Grand Marnier. :rolleyes:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back