ithk21620

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build- thanks for sharing.

Is that FRP on the ceiling? Good idea if so

Thanks! I should probably update it sometime soon....

The panels on the wall and ceiling are actually melamine panels. I wanted to do FRP but I found melamine panels at a quarter the cost and as long as the coating doesn't get scratched they will do the same thing. They are also stiffer so I didn't need to install a backing board first also.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I should probably update it sometime soon....

The panels on the wall and ceiling are actually melamine panels. I wanted to do FRP but I found melamine panels at a quarter the cost and as long as the coating doesn't get scratched they will do the same thing. They are also stiffer so I didn't need to install a backing board first also.

Aren’t those panels super heavy? I have a sheet of 3/4 inch thick I used fir a desk project and I think it gave me a hernia...

For my own project, I was thinking 1/2 inch plywood (or OSB) painted with a couple coats of kilz and latex paint. That way I can hang stuff off walls (conduit boxes, plumbing mounts, shelves) anywhere without having to hit a stud.

OP
OP
ithk21620

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t those panels super heavy? I have a sheet of 3/4 inch thick I used fir a desk project and I think it gave me a hernia...

For my own project, I was thinking 1/2 inch plywood (or OSB) painted with a couple coats of kilz and latex paint. That way I can hang stuff off walls (conduit boxes, plumbing mounts, shelves) anywhere without having to hit a stud.

These panels are around 3/16" thick so they are not too heavy.

The 1/2" thick plywood is a good idea as well if you wanted to hang stuff wherever.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back