It's a Boy!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been noticing this yellow/orange spot on the cheek of my melanurus wrasse, thinking that it might have a problem....something involving it's gills. I hadn't noticed this before. I also noted that when I was feeding the fish, the spot was not there.

So I started noodling around on the internet and found that the male melanurus has this yellow/orange (green) spot on it's cheek! I'm guessing since some times I don't see it, that he can turn it on and off.

3f6879175be87a1ecd148adc5400ce01.jpg

lg-80626-hoevens-wrasse2.jpg

I learn something new every day with this glass box filled with water. :D

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been noticing this yellow/orange spot on the cheek of my melanurus wrasse, thinking that it might have a problem....something involving it's gills. I hadn't noticed this before. I also noted that when I was feeding the fish, the spot was not there.

So I started noodling around on the internet and found that the male melanurus has this yellow/orange (green) spot on it's cheek! I'm guessing since some times I don't see it, that he can turn it on and off.

3f6879175be87a1ecd148adc5400ce01.jpg

lg-80626-hoevens-wrasse2.jpg

I learn something new every day with this glass box filled with water. :D
Yup! It's a boy. Unlike many other wrasse species, most melanarus sold in the hobby are male. Not sure if it's because they're quick to change male or if they're just the preferred collection.

A male melanarus is still one of the most beautiful wrasse in the world.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your Melanarus temprament wise with the other fish? I'm considering a yellow coris (Halichoeres chrysus) or possibly a Melanarus. We met the other day at the frags at the fire house, I only could stop by for a bit, but I'll hopefully be at the next meet up.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your Melanarus temprament wise with the other fish? I'm considering a yellow coris (Halichoeres chrysus) or possibly a Melanarus. We met the other day at the frags at the fire house, I only could stop by for a bit, but I'll hopefully be at the next meet up.
Both are timid for halichoeres and typically play nice with anyone, unless you're a pest worm.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is timid. Short of him darting out at feeding time and scaring the other fish as he zooms by to nab food. If I step away from the tank, he will come out and swim about. Otherwise, if I'm standing at the tank face, he's pretty much hiding. And at night, he's buried in the sand somewhere.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus are usually well behaved, but they are more assertive than H. chrysus.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am convinced this coloration on the "cheeks" is part of a mating display. When I sit back on the couch and watch the tank, he swims back and forth with his cheeks ablaze in color, saying, "look at me!" When I go to feed, no color in the cheeks at all. Very interesting. I've had him for some time and this is the first I've seen this coloration.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever seen your Melanurus eat vermetid snails? I have zillions, and heard either may nibble on them. How much of a pod grazer is your Melanurus? I'm thinking of eventually trying a Leopard wrasse as well, but I know the leopards are much more pod dependent, wondering if the Halichoeres would be more agressive and eat up all the pods...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever seen your Melanurus eat vermetid snails? I have zillions, and heard either may nibble on them. How much of a pod grazer is your Melanurus? I'm thinking of eventually trying a Leopard wrasse as well, but I know the leopards are much more pod dependent, wondering if the Halichoeres would be more agressive and eat up all the pods...
A melanurus may opportnistically eat vermatid snails, but the snails are pretty well protected, so he won't make a huge impact.

Melanuras wrasses do eat pods. I would let any leopard in your plans get well established before adding a melanurus.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back