It's a project...

atpa8a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're going to build a wall... :D Taking opportunity to make a tank through the wall: one side into the living space, the other into a home office (so care *a little* how it's going to look on that side too).

Thinking 4x2 feet front and back and either 1.5 foot (90ga) or 2 feet (120ga) depth. But most likely a 120. Like the bigger volume of water.

Now, I have a 37ga tall tank (30"x25"x12") which i'm planning to convert into a sump. Thinking it should be able to do a good service and have enough space in case of a failure.

But I'll return to that later. My main question right now is RO-DI system. It is my understanding that I can get just RO unit to throw a line to my kitchen sink, fridge, whatnot, and then a line from that to a DI unit for the tank (and to feed an ATO eventually).
Are there any special parameters I should look for in such RO unit for the water to be usable in the tank?
Would I need two storage tanks?
There are lots of products with different stages. Are there better ways to hook those up like "these stages before split to DI unit, these stages after for common use"? Any stages before/after the DI unit?

Hoping to start adding live creatures by winter time. It's a winter hobby, isn't it?

Thank you,

AT.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Spektrapure Maxcap RODI system and I bought the sink kit to go with it. Kit comes with a pressurized storage tank, 3 gallons if I remember correctly, that I put under my kitchen sink and it comes with a faucet and everything needed to hook it up too. You'll need a separate storage container for your RODI water for your tank. There are plenty of other systems available as well, BRS has good reviews on their systems, and I think they also have a sink kit available.

OP
OP
A

atpa8a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Scratch. Nice ride.

I guess to put it differently, would any RO unit work with any DI unit or some parameters matter?

Makes sense about the second storage tank. Otherwise I would have to collect it into a bucket or something.

AT.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Scratch. Nice ride.

I guess to put it differently, would any RO unit work with any DI unit or some parameters matter?

Makes sense about the second storage tank. Otherwise I would have to collect it into a bucket or something.

AT.
Thanks!

I'm not all up to date about the filter elements, which I think is what you're asking about. A lot of what filters you need depend on the water quality and what treatment chemicals are in your water coming into your house. You can get a water report from your local utility company, that should help determine which filters you'll need.

Below is a link to spektrapure rodi page. There is some info there about different filters (theirs or course) and should be more info on their site. I very got the 5 stage Maxcap 2:1.
http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-SYSTEMS

Hope that helps.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly welcome to R2R @atpa8a !

Most RO units come as a complete kit, but get one with the DI resin/stage so you can get 0 TDS water for the display saltwater mix and ATO water.

OP
OP
A

atpa8a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

Guess my best bet is to talk to them directly... just try not to sound too ignorant.

Any takes on that 37ga tall for a sump? From what i'm gathering it should be plenty for a 90ga display. What about 120ga display? Any other thoughts? I get it that the more water the better, but would it suffice?

AT.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back