Its all about Flow.

With regards to flow in a reef tank:

• The more flow the better

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Certain corals do better with Low flow as compared to high flow.

Votes: 27 50.0%
  • Alternating/timed flow is better than constant Flow in one direction

Votes: 36 66.7%
  • Lower flow is best. Just enough to keep the tank circulated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There is no benefit to high or low flow. Its personal preference

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So its often said that too high a flow can be 'bad'. Yet when I've been in the ocean - at least often, the flow is far higher than anything we could ever achieve in our tanks. I'm not talking about aiming a powerhead 1 inch from a piece of coral and letting it hit it 24/7, but rather lets say the flow from alternating gyres or timed pumps, etc. I like a high flow tank for a variety of reasons - perhaps some differing opinions exist. Lets discuss the benefits of high vs low flow in a reef tank:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m unsure if it’s the best setup, but I run a lot of random and stepped waves through my ReefWave gyres during most of the day (~16 hours), with the highest and longest flow forwards followed by a less intense and shorter reversal. The vast majority of my corals appear to be thriving, but I also attribute this to water parameters, lighting and supplements.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Gorgonians and Acros like higher flow. My Euphilia not as much. These corals thrive in different parts of the ocean. It’s a bit of a juggling act.
Do you think that the flow in your tank (that the euphyllia doesn't like) is higher than it would be in any part of the ocean?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is super tricky in my shroom only tank. The majority are super sensitive to the slightest bit of flow landing directly on them
I've had to get really creative with deflection and placement of wavemakers set at different pulse intervals to keep water moving around in tank as well as constantly "bouncing".
Since I can't get alot of flow inside tank. I had to figure out a way to get turnover through tank. I'm pushing 65watts of constant power through an 80 gallon tank that's probably equivalent to around 900gph or maybe more. Seems like I just can't go wrong with tons of turnover.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that the flow in your tank (that the euphyllia doesn't like) is higher than it would be in any part of the ocean?
Good question, The flow in my tank is definitely not higher than in the ocean. But I also have the option to either direct the flow or move the coral or place the coral in an appropriate place to begin with. Live rock scapes can block a lot of flow. Placing more sensitive corals like Euphilia in areas of the tank that aren’t as turbulent is a great option as well.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just redid my tank last night, as I found the *current* set up didn’t allow enough flow (pun intended). I have a Nero 5 that ramps up and down from 55% - 100% throughout the day, as well as oscillating wave function at night. Helps keep the frags clean (mostly zoas) of debris and monitor water intake. I also have Euphyllia and blastos in a place with less flow, so they aren’t damaged! The corals seem to really enjoy the new set up

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good question, The flow in my tank is definitely not higher than in the ocean. But I also have the option to either direct the flow or move the coral or place the coral in an appropriate place to begin with. Live rock scapes can block a lot of flow. Placing more sensitive corals like Euphilia in areas of the tank that aren’t as turbulent is a great option as well.
I guess what I meant was - if you look where euphyllia grow in the ocean, do you think the flow in your tank is higher than that (in the areas you have had less success).

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could set it up, I would for sure run gyres on each end and run one full blast for a short duration and then cut it off so the other side could push all the water back for the same duration. Over and over.

My tank is too small so it just have 2 overpowered powerheads pointed at each other in the back to get some good flow on random mode.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what I meant was - if you look where euphyllia grow in the ocean, do you think the flow in your tank is higher than that (in the areas you have had less success).
I’ve never not had success with euphillia because of the various options of a more moderate flow that these corals enjoy.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, there seems to be this sweet spot that this coral enjoys. When it’s obtained the polyp extension is great. When the flow is just even a bit too much it begins to protect itself from being damaged and slightly or greatly retracts.

Back