It's all @Paul B's fault... my journey to an immune reef (hopefully!)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pope excommunicated Galaliao because he built this telescope and saw that the Earth wasn't flat. The Pope could have looked through the telescope and saw for himself, but he was afraid he would find out he was wrong and couldn't understand that so the world remained flat for many years. :rolleyes:
The world is flat or we wouldn't have oceans. You try and figure out how to get ocean water to stick on the side of a ball and get back to me. :p

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I buy a new fish and it is not obviously dying which I got for free, In all the years I have been keeping new fish I don't remember ever losing a fish to a disease that it got from anything in my tank. Like never. They should have, but they don't and I am not sure of the exact mechanism as to why that happens. Remember I am not talking about 10 or 15 years here as that wouldn't prove anything. Maybe it's the food I supply or something to do with my water chemistry. I would be guessing if I posted something. But if none of them have gotten sick in 40 years, it must be something. I have a large, old copperband butterfly that I got as a baby and added him right in. I probably got him right from the shipping bag at the dealer because I get a lot of my fish that way, but not all of them. He was tiny and copperbands seem to be, by many accounts a delicate fish. No problem. All my bleenies and gobies are also a delicate species, no problem and they all die of old age as do most of my pipefish and all of my bluestripe pipefish. You can go back in my many years old thread and see when I got all my fish and when they died. None from disease. I posted many times stories with pictures of me adding fish with obvious parasites all over them. You may not understand how I could do that, but that doesn't change the fact that I can and do do it all the time. Disease is a non event for me and I feel it is a shame more people let their fish get sick, then try to cure them rather than just make it so they don't get sick. I don't understand that at all.

As for that Russian Roulette thing, I think we can rule that out because the gun they use for that game has 6 shots in it so it is a one in six way to lose (or win) I have added dozens of fish with no problems.

I do know how my existing fish do not get sick from any new additions. They seem to be immune from "everything" . You will say, that it is impossible for that to be true, and yet it is. People have been saying things are impossible for centuries and here we are. The world isn't flat, we went to the moon and Myley Cyrus became a star. But eventually many of those impossible things come to pass. They pass even to the people who don't believe it or understand it.

The Pope excommunicated Galaliao because he built this telescope and saw that the Earth wasn't flat. The Pope could have looked through the telescope and saw for himself, but he was afraid he would find out he was wrong and couldn't understand that so the world remained flat for many years. :rolleyes:

Just because we can't or won't believe something even if it is proven doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have many times shown pictures of my fish spawning but have still yet to see even one fish except clowns that spawn and the fry grew in a fully quarantined tank. Healthy fish always spawn, it's just what they do. Healthy fish also always only die of old age or jumping out, thats what they do. Immune fish "never" get sick, never. Thats just life. It even happens if we don't understand it. :cool:

I can say something like Humans can't live longer than 125 years. It' may not be a scientific fact because it is hard to prove a negative, but if in three million years the oldest Human (recorded) only lived to 122 years, I will consider that a fact. (Not counting Moses as I wasn't there) :p And I can assume I won't live that long.

Here is my method, fish eating healthy food with living bacteria in it. Mostly clams that I bought live. This is a very hard system. :confused:
(that red fireclown is maybe 27 years old and his mate is maybe 20, they spawn every few days but I don't consider that anything because they are clowns and will spawn in wet cardboard)

Right. But when you get a new fish sick or not it has not been exposed to your methods. If you are saying you have never had a newly introduced fish die in your tank in 40 years I’m sorry I don’t believe it. Just because you at they didn’t die of disease doesn’t mean they did not die of disease. Many parasites etc are not visible.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start with a disclaimer. As far as fish immune system goes or reef tank environment goes, I am a noob compared to either Paul or Lasse or some of you more knowledgeable reefers. All my experience is based on listening (well reading) to you guys talk, decipher and analyze reef and fish issues. With that being said, few months ago, I started a thread here about Ich. I saw my firefish and gramma were scratching, flashing and the whole nine yards. I didn't see the ich marking but I knew it was matter of days. I knew I was going to have to start a treatment regiment very soon. I didn't have the time or energy to catch these fish. Plus, I'd have to take out everything if I wanted to treat them in a QT tank. Good luck catching a firefish in a reef tank with rock all over the place. :p

I lurk on R2R pretty much everyday and most of the time reading what people have to say. I've been following this thread for a while, so I decided to try my hand on feeding nothing but mysis shrimp to my fish. I was feeding only NLS pallet before then. I don't know what happened after I started feeding only mysis but I no longer see any of the fish scratching or doing the ich dance. If anything my fish are more active. Do I believe my fish are immune? Absolutely not! My experience is totally anecdotal. But I think the method Paul, Lasse and Gweeds use has merit to it. This method may not be for everyone, but I am not going to knock it. For me just feeding raw food instead of processed pallet made the big difference. I don't think my tank is immune, but I do believe my fish has better immunity. Because I think I still have Ich in my tank. Just that the feeding has helped my fish fight it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's been shown that dosing h2o2 directly to the water kills the free swimming stage of cryptocaryon at least. This is exactly how polyp lab medic works - except with peroxide salts. It takes approximately 48 hours for h2o2 to degrade to h2o and o2. The whole point of plants using h2o2 as a defence is that it kills bacteria and parasites before they can damage the plant.
In alkaline environments h2o2 rapidly degrades. The other formulation may be a stabilized version but h2o2 does not take 48 hours to degrade. The experiments I read show that they exposed the fish to only 30 minutes of an h2o2 bath. The highest concentration killed all the fish. The other two lower seemed to help. Lots of things a kill free swimming parasites. The problem is when it kills the rest of the things on the tank as well

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll start with a disclaimer. As far as fish immune system goes or reef tank environment goes, I am a noob compared to either Paul or Lasse or some of you more knowledgeable reefers. All my experience is based on listening (well reading) to you guys talk, decipher and analyze reef and fish issues. With that being said, few months ago, I started a thread here about Ich. I saw my firefish and gramma were scratching, flashing and the whole nine yards. I didn't see the ich marking but I knew it was matter of days. I knew I was going to have to start a treatment regiment very soon. I didn't have the time or energy to catch these fish. Plus, I'd have to take out everything if I wanted to treat them in a QT tank. Good luck catching a firefish in a reef tank with rock all over the place. :p

I lurk on R2R pretty much everyday and most of the time reading what people have to say. I've been following this thread for a while, so I decided to try my hand on feeding nothing but mysis shrimp to my fish. I was feeding only NLS pallet before then. I don't know what happened after I started feeding only mysis but I no longer see any of the fish scratching or doing the ich dance. If anything my fish are more active. Do I believe my fish are immune? Absolutely not! My experience is totally anecdotal. But I think the method Paul, Lasse and Gweeds use has merit to it. This method may not be for everyone, but I am not going to knock it. For me just feeding raw food instead of processed pallet made the big difference. I don't think my tank is immune, but I do believe my fish has better immunity. Because I think I still have Ich in my tank. Just that the feeding has helped my fish fight it.
It’s well known that a certain percentage of fish will develope partial or even complete immunity to ich. The more well fed they are probably the better. But it would be surprising that changing to feeding mysis shrimp has anything to do with their survoval

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that being said, few months ago, I started a thread here about Ich. I saw my firefish and gramma were scratching, flashing and the whole nine yards. I didn't see the ich marking but I knew it was matter of days. I knew I was going to have to start a treatment regiment very soon.

I have introduced fish with itch of that I am 100% certain. The last fish I introduced which showed spots almost immediately I introduced it was a Royal gramma, IME they are itch magnets and almost always break out in itch and as you noticed even if you don't see it they will scratch on rocks sand or coral. Within 24 hours there was no visible sign of itch and no more scratching, I haven't had an outbreak of serious itch in over 25 years and have never quarantined a fish in my 36 years keeping marines and that's in about 10 different tanks give or take one or two as I can't be bothered recalling them all to count. I buy my fish and corals wherever I find them. Some people will tell you if you buy from XY or Z LFS here your tank will break out in itch, well I am still waiting for that major itch outbreak. I have been told I am lucky and that disaster is just around the corner, well I seem to have run out of corners.

I have lost fish. some have carpet surfed some have lived to the end of their naturals and some have simply disappeared but I have never ever seen a sick fish in 25 years. Prior to my eureka moment, I would see fish slowly died of whatever over a period of a few days through whatever itch included. Nobody has to, believe me, nobody has to believe Paul and nobody has to believe some of my friends here in the UK who will tell you similar to the above. We will just carry on doing what we have been doing for all these years and getting the results we do and that is another fact.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s well known that a certain percentage of fish will develope partial or even complete immunity to ich. The more well fed they are probably the better. But it would be surprising that changing to feeding mysis shrimp has anything to do with their survoval
But the quality of food is part of the key and I would be surprised if feeding mysis didn't at least add to the fishes ability to fed of disease and help with their survival. Whether mysis on it's own could do that is another matter but I what I can tell you is that I feed frozen mysis regular amongst other foods some of which I make myself as I have reported before and IMO mysis is a mighty fine food to feed your fish

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have introduced fish with itch of that I am 100% certain. The last fish I introduced which showed spots almost immediately I introduced it was a Royal gramma, IME they are itch magnets and almost always break out in itch and as you noticed even if you don't see it they will scratch on rocks sand or coral. Within 24 hours there was no visible sign of itch and no more scratching, I haven't had an outbreak of serious itch in over 25 years and have never quarantined a fish in my 36 years keeping marines and that's in about 10 different tanks give or take one or two as I can't be bothered recalling them all to count. I buy my fish and corals wherever I find them. Some people will tell you if you buy from XY or Z LFS here your tank will break out in itch, well I am still waiting for that major itch outbreak. I have been told I am lucky and that disaster is just around the corner, well I seem to have run out of corners.

I have lost fish. some have carpet surfed some have lived to the end of their naturals and some have simply disappeared but I have never ever seen a sick fish in 25 years. Prior to my eureka moment, I would see fish slowly died of whatever over a period of a few days through whatever itch included. Nobody has to, believe me, nobody has to believe Paul and nobody has to believe some of my friends here in the UK who will tell you similar to the above. We will just carry on doing what we have been doing for all these years and getting the results we do and that is another fact.

Very interesting. So you have never had an entire tank eradicated due to the introduction of a sick fish? Velvet is especially nasty, and I am hard pressed to believe a stable system and get it under control without significant intervention. I do find you experience very fascinating, and would be great to read your entire reefing experience. I am sure there is a ton to learn from your decades of reefing.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. So you have never had an entire tank eradicated due to the introduction of a sick fish? Velvet is especially nasty, and I am hard pressed to believe a stable system and get it under control without significant intervention. I do find you experience very fascinating, and would be great to read your entire reefing experience. I am sure there is a ton to learn from your decades of reefing.
The only major fish lose I have ever had was when I went away on holiday and the temperature went through the roof. I was using HQI lights back then and my neighbour was supposed to be looking after my tank. Other than that which had nothing to do with disease, of course, I have not had a fish die of itch velvet etc in 25 years maybe longer. What I do with my tank is in many ways is similar to Paul, I buy fresh seafood and process it myself, I grow pods outside in the summer an now and again hatch brine shrimp. I also add fish oils etc etc most of which has been well documented here on R2R a number of times in different posts. BTW I have used Oxydators which utilises H2O2 again the use of them I have well documented on here.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are saying you have never had a newly introduced fish die in your tank in 40 years I’m sorry I don’t believe it.[/QUOTE

I did not say that. I said this:

In all the years I have been keeping new fish I don't remember ever losing a fish to a "disease that it got from anything in my tank". Like never.

I have of course lost new fish, the majority of them jumped out, were bullied or starved. But not from disease they got from something in my tank. If you want to quote me, please quote me correctly because a misplaced word makes a big difference.

The world is flat or we wouldn't have oceans. You try and figure out how to get ocean water to stick on the side of a ball and get back to me. :p
The sponges stick all the water in place. :rolleyes:

Just because you at they didn’t die of disease doesn’t mean they did not die of disease. Many parasites etc are not visible.

As the member here with probably more years of experience than anyone else here, (but not the smartest or best looking) I think I know exactly if a fish has a disease or not. A fish acts different if it has parasites and every fish that dies in my tank or jumps out, I autopsy. None of the fish that died in or under my tank ever had even one paraiste. Fish I buy I am sure have parasites, but I rarely autopsy living fish.

(Once a lawyer asked a coroner in court, how many autopsies he performed on dead people? He answered "All the people I autopsied were dead!)

Parasites are very easy to spot and there are no other terminal diseases a new fish would get from my fish because they are still not dying. As I mentioned, the fact that you don't believe it doesn't mean it isn't true in my tank or Atolls. We just saw the light after many years and we know our fish won't die from disease and we don't have to care if it is believed. Our fish believe it and they are living proof that it works.

I've been following this thread for a while, so I decided to try my hand on feeding nothing but mysis shrimp to my fish. I was feeding only NLS pallet before then. I don't know what happened after I started feeding only mysis but I no longer see any of the fish scratching or doing the ich dance.

Rockstar, thank you for responding. Feeding mysis will almost always be better than feeding pellets. But you would do better using clams. Mysis have good "meat" in them but most of a mysis is shell which is indigestible and just wasted. It is not even calcium which would be beneficial. The shells fill up the gut of the fish while not providing any nutrition. But the roughage probably prevents constipation. :confused:

I have lost fish. some have carpet surfed some have lived to the end of their naturals and some have simply disappeared but I have never ever seen a sick fish in 25 years. Prior to my eureka moment

Ditto.

So you have never had an entire tank eradicated due to the introduction of a sick fish? Velvet is especially nasty, and I am hard pressed to believe a stable system and get it under control without significant intervention. I do find you experience very fascinating, and would be great to read your entire reefing experience. I am sure there is a ton to learn from your decades of reefing.

Atoll is a very accomplished reefer and his tank is awesome. His fish are immune because he uses many of the same methods I use and fish treated like that can't help being immune. Quarantining and foregoing food with live bacteria in it and keeping parasites away from fish is counterproductive and sure way to kill your fish. (I am still waiting for anyone on here with a fully quarantined fish that spawned and the fry grew. No clowns) :cool:

I also don't remember ever losing a tank to a disease but if I did it was in the early 70s when me or anyone else didn't know what the heck we were doing. But in those days I used copper like everyone else in the form of pennies. I was here keeping fish when the salt water hobby started. I think it was on a Tuesday :rolleyes:.

Atoll, I and many other successful reefers have nothing to prove. Everyone else don't believe it because it goes against what most people have been taught for decades. Doctors now are giving much less antibiotics so their patients can use their immune system to heal themselves rather than trying to short circuit the process which leads to more illness. The disease forum is filled with fish that died in quarantine. Look at when people try to quarantine copperband butterflies or moorish Idols. It usually doesn't go well for the fish.

Fish should almost never get sick. If they do, it is almost always our fault, not the fish or the dealer. They rarely get internal problems like swim bladder disorders, kidney or something else just as we do, but very rarely.
I can probably count on one hand how many fish I lost in 60 years from some internal problem. :D

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why that entire post came out in quotes. Just because I don't know why, doesn't mean it didn't happen. :p

OP
OP
Gweeds1980

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this very thread is the story of my heniochus... the pics I posted up clearly show velvet... he was hiding from the light, swimming into flow, the whole 9 yards.

He survived... not only that but not a single other fish even showed a symptom. No treatment whatsoever. Now, I'm not saying that fish didn't suffer... but he would have suffered more by being removed from the tank, treated with copper and kept in a more artificial environment for 6 weeks. I would also have had to catch every other fish and subjected them to the same treatment, regardless of the fact that they didn't show any symptoms.

I have velvet in my system (or at least had velvet). Fact. I documented it right here. Fact. I didn't treat the fish or the tank with anything. Fact. I did continue to feed the my homebrew food. Fact. Did that food aid the recovery of that fish? Who knows, but something got him through it.

Here's a picture of him that I just took now. Fact.

270833e4100c1b659ea0ad113332ba61.jpg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue of fish not getting sick or newly introduced fish that are sick and get better without "intervention" with the existing fish not catching whatever the newly fish came in with is difficult to believe for those who have had it instilled in them (and continue to do so) that you MUST quarantine all fish. Yes, I know it goes against many peoples logical thinking but that is in part due to what you have been taught and instilled in you from day one not least by those who have a vested interest in selling you cures etc.

You are told to introduce poisons to keep the fish in a very unnatural environment and cause it great stress and since when has stress been an aid to any cure. Itch is a minor ailment along with velvet to any fish in the ocean it is not a killer but a minor irritation...maybe. I used to get sick (pun intended) of the thou must brigade telling me, you must quarantine or your tank is doomed, now I just laugh while looking at my tank full of healthy spawning fish that have thanked me for turning my back on the various poison potions.

When I introduced my Indian tang recently it spoke to me in the bag on the way home, it said "please sir don't put me in that small tank with that copper poisoning in a strange place that I feel very uncomfortable in just like the place I have just come from" I told it everything would be alright and not to worry as I had no intention of subjecting it to any such torture.

We made a pact on the way home. I agreed not to put it in a cell locked up for 6 weeks and poison the life out of it and the tang promised not to break out in some disease. I also agreed to grant its wish and promised to feed it good wholesome foods on a regular basis and provide it with an are it could stretch its fins and play. Both of us Being honourable kind of animals we kept to our word and a month on my little Indian Bristle tooth is swimming around apparently enjoying the al la carte menu served up on a regular daily basis. The end.

Some would consider that a fairy story in which case I believe in fairies.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, I talk to my fish in the bag too. :D

A few years ago I posted when I got these shrimpfish. 2 of them were fine and one was covered in parasites. That one died in a couple of days as I knew he would. I left him in there for the crabs. They are in this video. I documented the entire thing as I always do when I purposely buy a fish covered in parasites which doesn't mean anything in my tank. It just boosts the immunity of everything else. :D

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I agree with you 100% - My only point was that it cant be 'your technique' that is the reason that 'new fish' don;t break out in ich - at least if one believes the 'current wisdom' that one of the major reasons that fish develop the disease is stress from transfer, netting, etc. My other point is that the ones that 'simply disappeared' especially soon after being introduced could have easily died from a disease. I wonder - do you use ozone? UV? I keep seeing people talking about 'immune tanks' but they are actively using methods that at least in part sterilize the water - depending on the concentration of ozone/UV used. I.e. many people claim to use UV units much larger than recommended. In these cases, I would not particularly ascribe the success to 'feeding live foods' but rather keeping the levels of the parasites down to a level that the fish can eliminate it themselves - at least that would make scientific sense - because all strains of parasites would be affected by these methods (ie even if a new strain were to be introduced it would be much less likely to have an effect). JMHO

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In all the years I have been keeping new fish I don't remember ever losing a fish to a "disease that it got from anything in my tank". Like never.
I have of course lost new fish, the majority of them jumped out, were bullied or starved. But not from disease they got from something in my tank. If you want to quote me, please quote me correctly because a misplaced word makes a big difference.

I got it - and I think I did quote you correctly. Why do 'bullied fish' die off? Why do fish 'starve'? Are some of them so weak that they cant eat due to disease? Are some of them unable to absorb nutrition due to 'disease'? In any case - I was also talking about adding 'new fish' to your tank - which of course hadn't been exposed to any of your methods. My point was that if a fish dies within a week of being put in your tank - or just 'disappears' as @atoll has said I would suggest that its impossible to guarantee that it didn't die of 'some disease' - or some reaction to the parameters in your tank. I've asked before but never heard an answer - how often (lets say in the last 6 months) do you add fish to your tank?

Atoll, I and many other successful reefers have nothing to prove. Everyone else don't believe it because it goes against what most people have been taught for decades. Doctors now are giving much less antibiotics so their patients can use their immune system to heal themselves rather than trying to short circuit the process which leads to more illness. The disease forum is filled with fish that died in quarantine. Look at when people try to quarantine copperband butterflies or moorish Idols. It usually doesn't go well for the fish.

There are many reasons that doctors are giving fewer antibiotics, but none of those reasons have anything to do with what you said. Many doctors previously prescribed antibiotics every time a person had a 'cold' because the patient wanted it (when it was really a virus) - or they prescribed antibiotics that were gross overkill for whatever infection they were treating - leading to significant antibiotic resistance. When antibiotics are used appropriately, the risk of lets say C. difficile colitis or candida infection is much less than the risk of using the antibiotics.

The disease forum is also filled with stories of fish that died without quarantine. Again - it helps if you describe what you mean by 'quarantine'. If you mean putting every fish in a copper bath for 2 weeks, then formalin, then multiple freshwater dips, then prazipro (when the fish looks healthy) I think this method kills lots of fish. If you are suggesting that putting fish into a separate tank and observing them for disease for a period of time (another form of quarantine) is 'wrong', I disagree with you.

As I've said multiple times, I do not quarantine my fish (using medication) - so I have no axe to grind here - except with the logic you are using. You have great success keeping a tank that many of people here are not interested in keeping (i.e. you cant keep certain sps, you like a natural look, etc and the fish you keep are relatively inexpensive). This is not to knock you or your tank. But -IMHO (and it is only my opinion), I would never take a tank with a 500$ angelfish let alone several - and just put in a fish with known ich.

I understand also that you say you're not recommending that anyone else do 'what you do' - but in reality, you are suggesting that yours is the 'right way'. (i.e. your fish spawn, and die of old age - whereas you keep asking for examples of 'quarantined' tanks with the same success... The problem is that the word 'quarantine' is so general - and so varied its impossible to give an answer to your questions.

Every food, including flake food, contains bacteria. Every tank - even those which contain quarantined fish contain bacteria. Every fish gut contains bacteria whether it has been quarantined or not. There is no magic here - adding 'bottled bacteria' is the same as adding bacteria in food.

Again - IMHO, your logic concerning spawning is flawed yet you keep repeating it. Most people dont have angels spawning in their tanks because most people dont keep 2 angels of the same species in their tanks. Ditto for others (tangs, etc). Most people on this forum dont have a tank big enough for this to occur. In fact - if you look at the 'conventional wisdom, on most of the internet sites that sell fish - they recommend keeping fish 'alone'. Most people dont have the money to risk keeping pairs of fish in their tanks. They want variety.
Lastly - you have yet to explain (or maybe I missed it) how adding cold-water bacteria/critters from the Atlantic helps a tropical reef tank from Fiji/hawaii/etc.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it - and I think I did quote you correctly. Why do 'bullied fish' die off? Why do fish 'starve'? Are some of them so weak that they cant eat due to disease? Are some of them unable to absorb nutrition due to 'disease'? In any case - I was also talking about adding 'new fish' to your tank - which of course hadn't been exposed to any of your methods.

I have a little time so I will try to answer these.
Some fish are bullied because many times Males or fish of the same species fight. I recently lost a male bluestripe pipefish that was bullied and killed by a much larger male Janss pipefish. The Janss was new and didn't get along with the bluestripe and almost bit him in half. I posted that on my thread along with pictures of the bite mark. He kept bullying him until he couldn't eat and he died. I had that blue stripe for a few years and he spawned constantly. I still have the female which may be 5 years old which is past their lifespan.
Some fish starve because I can't feed it what it wants to eat in the amounts it needs to eat in my community tank. The 2 surviving shrimpfish I posted about starved although they ate constantly . I fed the tank every day with new born brine shrimp. I had 4 pipefish, 2 mated mandarins, 2 mated pipefish and 2 mated ruby red dragonettes which you can see in the last video I posted. Too many shrimp eaters for all those fish so the shrimpfish starved in a few months. I also posted about that.
I have had orange spotted filefish but not enough SPS corals for him to eat so he starved. None of them ever died from a disease.

If I add a new fish and it isn't bullied, doesn't jump out and I am able to feed it what I have available, it generally dies of old age or, as in many cases, I give it away for free. Last week (on another forum) I told someone I want to give them my leopard wrasse because he is to big for my liking and he destroys my mandarin feeder mesh. I got him as a baby. I have given away many fish over the years if they get to big or I get tired of them. I gave away, and posted about it here and in my book a small copperband I got that was full of parasites. I cured it and put it in my reef where my large copperband almost killed it. I caught it and gave it away. All posted.
For some reason you and some other people feel there has to be disease to lose fish. But there is Never a disease in my or Atolls tank. It can't happen. If you remember somewhere in this thread I posted pictures of many of my fish I got as babies, posted pictures of their eggs and pictured them dying years later of old age. That "Is Scientific Proof". You will find no scientist or researcher who can do that because their money runs out. They can't document a 27 year old fish because they are probably not in the field long enough or can't get research money. They have a lab with some small tanks and a little research money that sometimes covers a few Ham on Ryes with mustard, I do not see quarantined old fish, I do not see quarantined fish eating dry foods or foods without live bacteria, not bacteria like is on all surfaces, spawning and their fry live.

I do see my tank and Atolls tank doing those things, Isn't that special. All I hear is excuses about luck and our fish are not expensive enough or delicate enough or we use good food and I use ozone. If good food and Ozone is the key, why doesn't everyone do that as it is much cheaper than all the stuff people use and all the medications, quarantine and hospital tanks, with observation tanks and their fish rarely die of old age, but from disease. Why is that.

I keep copperbands, mandarins, ruby red dragonettes and pipefish, all fish that many people have a very hard time keeping. What is the excuse for them?
Look at my above video and look for delicate fish.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you 100% - My only point was that it cant be 'your technique' that is the reason that 'new fish' don;t break out in ich - at least if one believes the 'current wisdom' that one of the major reasons that fish develop the disease is stress from transfer, netting, etc. My other point is that the ones that 'simply disappeared' especially soon after being introduced could have easily died from a disease. I wonder - do you use ozone? UV? I keep seeing people talking about 'immune tanks' but they are actively using methods that at least in part sterilize the water - depending on the concentration of ozone/UV used. I.e. many people claim to use UV units much larger than recommended. In these cases, I would not particularly ascribe the success to 'feeding live foods' but rather keeping the levels of the parasites down to a level that the fish can eliminate it themselves - at least that would make scientific sense - because all strains of parasites would be affected by these methods (ie even if a new strain were to be introduced it would be much less likely to have an effect). JMHO

My fish when they have disappeared usually have been with me quite some time. I don't use ozone or UV (I don't believe in using UV) I do however use little known (but gaining in popularity) Oxydators which briefly that use hydrogen peroxide which is broken down into supper O2 and H2o. They give a similar effect to ozone in helping to clean the water etc. Most of the foods I feed are not live (some are but not so many or often depending on the season) I buy fresh seafood and process them myself and freeze them. I also buy commercial frozen fish foods like lobster and oyster eggs, mysis, brine shrimp and rotifers. When I thaw them I add fish oils. However, they are just a couple of parts of my philosophy to keeping my reef healthy. I consider the environment and water quality that I have created along with carefully chosen tank mates other areas of note to reducing stress and aiding their general health.

Some of my fish are considered cheap or hardy even both while others are considered "expert only" I have a regal angel for over 12 months now. a multibar angel for about 9 months and a cleaner wrasse for the last 6 months but then I also have damsels and Indian tang clowns royal grammas and blennies and gobbies amongst a few others. Some of my fish have been transferred from tank to tank over a number of years and the damsels, royal grammas, sixlined wrasse and clowns spawn.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back