Its an URCHIN-cy

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One Royal Blue Tuxedo urchin. Did a lot of picking things up for the first six months but now has his small rocks that seems to keep it content and has not touched anything it’s not supposed to in a long time. Algae eating machine. I inquired last week at Reef Cleaners about getting another and was told they won’t have any until fall because they don’t ship well when it’s hot.
41964769-554E-48A8-A716-AF3D7A08DD96.jpeg

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1686079262000.png

I need to get another but with the box crab in the tank I think he'd destroy it. Fire urchins are so gorgeous but many don't keep them cause of their fear of being stung, its pretty easy to avoid (if you don't see it look under the rim of the canopy/tank to be safe so your arm doesn't clip it)

In person they're very vibrant, photos almost seem photoshopped but their color really do stick out in blue lighting like this.

Never experienced them eating coral, but they do eat meaty and algae so supplementation can go a long way to their health.

Last edited:

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the neatest and mysterious inverts in the hobby is an urchin. There are many considered common and some not so common, nor reef safe.

Do you have an urchin and if so , what Kind(s)?
What benefits or headaches do they offer you ?

I have a pencil urchin over two years and I chose this one as it does Not drag frag plugs and other objects around the tank and eats algae well.
Got 5 Tuxedo urchins and 5 shortspine urchins. Love them even though they love to redistribute the rockwork frequently and move frags that ain't glued down. Awesome cleaners
20230525_173148.jpg
And here is my other Tux spawning
20230526_174249.jpg

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some really nice urchins being posted here

billrob71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 pin cushion and have had good luck with them , I get nervous since I have no hair algae but they really seem to like coralline
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 30

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my pencil- they dont drag things around
I enjoy my pencil urchin also. He isn’t troublesome and fun to watch. A lot more mobile than I originally thought.
IMG_2258.jpeg

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 tuxedo urchins here. I may get a few more now that these have survived over a year. I like them for their algae eating ability and would never add them to a tank that doesn't contain enough algae to sustain them. I think many people add them as a cool critter but then they perish because there isn't a natural food source for them.
I actually started dosing coralline accelerator to make sure the little guy getting enough to eat. It also gave my tank a slight pH boost during the photo cycle, so win-win.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 pin cushion and have had good luck with them , I get nervous since I have no hair algae but they really seem to like coralline
image.jpg
Same..I have 1 pincushion Urchin, and he is awesome. Always love to see the new shells, rocks etc. he uses for armor. No problems with him whatsoever, and he cleans algae like nobody's business!

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the neatest and mysterious inverts in the hobby is an urchin. There are many considered common and some not so common, nor reef safe.

I have a pencil urchin over two years and I chose this one as it does Not drag frag plugs and other objects around the tank and eats algae well.
Tuxedos are my go too. I had long spines ones before because they look so cool! But they are venomous and one was eating my acros.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1686129027441.jpeg

I’ve had this Tuxedo Urchin for several months now and is a great CUC member. I find him to be no problem as long as all your coral and frags are secured down.

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tuxedos are my go too. I had long spines ones before because they look so cool! But they are venomous and mean. One even started eating my acros.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to get rid of my Tuxedo Urchins. They just got too big. I tried pin cushions, but they grew quickly also. I even caught one wearing an entire 20+ head Zoa colony for a hat! No Urchins for me now. I think if I needed algae control, I'd opt for a Sea Hare.

reely989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two pincushions and they do a great job. They can drive me crazy every now and then picking up frags, but that's pretty rare. It's amazing how many shells and whatnot they can find to carry around. Do a great job with algae, too. Don't think I'd run a reef tank without urchins anymore.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back