It's just a tank

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those would be fine as long as you are breeding in a separated system not exposed to saltwater disease. I warn against feeding saltwater fish because of the chance of spreading disease, it's a matter of when not if. Mollies are a good nutritionally balanced food usually found in freshwater at the lfs, so no threat of disease. They are cheaper than buying any saltwater fish for feeding puposes, and they do breed like rabbits. Supplementing one ribbon eel with a couple of mollies a week wouldn't be such a chore.
True. All my fish go through QT and then observation afterwards. I was thinking pinfish might be a good option, as easy to QT, can raise in SW and they breed like mad. Also, as the eel grows, fry could be grown out to match the size needed.

I may be over thinking this a bit for one eel lol. I have over 40 scorps and anglers, so need a good supply of all different sized live foods lol.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
True. All my fish go through QT and then observation afterwards. I was thinking pinfish might be a good option, as easy to QT, can raise in SW and they breed like mad. Also, as the eel grows, fry could be grown out to match the size needed.

I may be over thinking this a bit for one eel lol. I have over 40 scorps and anglers, so need a good supply of all different sized live foods lol.
As weird as it may sound, that's the husbandry of things. Always covering as much ground as possible.
She may have just been hungry from point of capture up to now. Recovering lost calories. If she eats 2 - 4 adult mollies per week. That wont be too bad. I'll be able to get a steady population going. They do grow quick. From my personal experience of keeping predator fish, lions, puffers, oscars. Ribbons don't seem to demand nearly as much food.
Lions are actually tough for me to keep. I failed several times and I gave up.

With that said, wont attempt scorpion fish.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Projects with Sam has baby cardinals if you ever decide to go this route. Not sure how far he is from you, Mibu
If you want to make the drive to Western Springs, I can get you a bunch of Cardinalfish. If you want a whole, fresh batch, I can strip in about 3 weeks. I can give you the bbs hatcheries I printed too. I think my pal only wants a few of the current batch.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I read on multiple articles. Granted there are not many. And she broke those rules. If it's true, maybe they are being overly harvested. Or, something worse. She isn't blue turning yellow. But, black turning yellow. Caught everyone off guard, even the guy I got her from.

Molly tank is a must. It's cheaper than buying adults from the lfs. I never had issues with them and they eat all the foods. Ghost shrimp here are near .60 each :(

I am sure I can talk to him for the time being at keeping her food going. I should have made the molly tank first.

Very interesting, I hope they go full female, that would be truly awesome. Don't be surprised if they don't decide to turn blue(male).

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very interesting, I hope they go full female, that would be truly awesome. Don't be surprised if they don't decide to turn blue(male).
That would make a very interesting turn of events. More pictures for me to take.
If you want to make the drive to Western Springs, I can get you a bunch of Cardinalfish. If you want a whole, fresh batch, I can strip in about 3 weeks. I can give you the bbs hatcheries I printed too. I think my pal only wants a few of the current batch.
Cardinals I'm going to pass on for now. Baby steps at the moment. She's drawn to
13500.jpg

Yes. She likes that color.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would make a very interesting turn of events. More pictures for me to take.

Cardinals I'm going to pass on for now. Baby steps at the moment. She's drawn to
13500.jpg

Yes. She likes that color.
I would eat that in a little metal tin and covered with some hot sauce lol. Heck with sardines, mollies are the way to go.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what about crappie minnows ? wild caught killifish ?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about crappie minnows ? wild caught killifish ?
Those I know fall into goldfish and rosies in terms of crap they do not need to eat. Cannot remember the chemical in those fish, but it is really bad for SW predator fish.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks you are in IL. A good fish option would be pinfish or some other bait fish if you could get some. They breed in SW, are a natural food for most eels and fish, easy to raise and dirt cheap. Let me see what I can collect when I am in FL and if I can get a few males and females, may be able to work something out for where you pick up from @fishguy242 or @F i s h y.

I breed pinfish in my sump and feed the fry to my scorps. If some small ones get into the display, the spotted scorps or the clowns eat them lol.
I'd love to keep some breeders in my sump as well. Would be happy to move some via the r2r express.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to keep some breeders in my sump as well. Would be happy to move some via the r2r express.
I am already going to have to R2R express stuff for you after next week, as you will need to get some to Brenden lol.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I read on multiple articles. Granted there are not many. And she broke those rules. If it's true, maybe they are being overly harvested. Or, something worse. She isn't blue turning yellow. But, black turning yellow. Caught everyone off guard, even the guy I got her from.

Molly tank is a must. It's cheaper than buying adults from the lfs. I never had issues with them and they eat all the foods. Ghost shrimp here are near .60 each :(

I am sure I can talk to him for the time being at keeping her food going. I should have made the molly tank first.
Talk to Fishman may be able to work out a deal. Forget ns they rarely work with people especially if your dealing with Chris.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Talk to Fishman may be able to work out a deal. Forget ns they rarely work with people especially if your dealing with Chris.
I'll talk to chad this weekend. He wasn't there yesterday. I wont go near ns. There's no way I'd trust them with my fish food.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back