OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here she is. Looking plump after last nights meal.
20220629_075049.jpg
Little ghost close to her.

Poo in front of her. May not need to treat with metro.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here she is. Looking plump after last nights meal.
20220629_075049.jpg
Little ghost close to her.
Looks good. Also, if you have questions @lion king is a wealth of knowledge for eels. I have had a few and they thrived, but I focus on scorps and anglers for my odd balls lol.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good. Also, if you have questions @lion king is a wealth of knowledge for eels. I have had a few and they thrived, but I focus on scorps and anglers for my odd balls lol.
Yuh. He's pretty knowledgeable about eels and predatory fish to begin with. I'm new to medicating ribbons.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow looks like you have a female ribbon. That's the yellow coloration, juvi's are black, males are blue, and females are a yellow/green. They transition all the way though, so in captivity you will rarely if ever see a female if not captured as a female.

Her poop looks good. Mollies are going to be the best live offering, they are easy to breed as a project. Keep them in 1.013sg to as high as 1.017. They can live in full salt be gessation is stunted that high. I keep my molly tank at 1.013. There is no need for acclimation to feed her.

Forget about the cherry shrimp, I can't remember wht but you can search, there was something that dissuaded me from.using them. You would also need to feed 100 a week, they are tiny. Ribbons are fish eaters, one may eat a ghostie but maybe not, mollies are a complete food with a diverse gut culture, it's all the food she will need. Supplementation with dead food is fine, but I do rrcommend continuing live offerings no matter how she takes to dead food

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow looks like you have a female ribbon. That's the yellow coloration, juvi's are black, males are blue, and females are a yellow/green. They transition all the way though, so in captivity you will rarely if ever see a female if not captured as a female.

Her poop looks good. Mollies are going to be the best live offering, they are easy to breed as a project. Keep them in 1.013sg to as high as 1.017. They can live in full salt be gessation is stunted that high. I keep my molly tank at 1.013. There is no need for acclimation to feed her.

Forget about the cherry shrimp, I can't remember wht but you can search, there was something that dissuaded me from.using them. You would also need to feed 100 a week, they are tiny. Ribbons are fish eaters, one may eat a ghostie but maybe not, mollies are a complete food with a diverse gut culture, it's all the food she will need. Supplementation with dead food is fine, but I do rrcommend continuing live offerings no matter how she takes to dead food
Its what I did with my first ribbon Lots of frozen sea food and live mollies. He didnt really care for fish. Loved shrimp.

This girl lives red sword tailed mollies. Both are gone. At $4 a meal. I'll need to set up a breeder.
She's also half the size of a grown adult. Kind of.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Again, I know nothing about eels, but this early eating pattern seems like a really good thing, no?
I didn't expect it. I was thinking 2 weeks before first meal. She was brought to tank stop middle of last week. She was only with them for a few days.

Healthy capture and isolation tank 3/3 eaters. We'll see down the month how this goes.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its what I did with my first ribbon Lots of frozen sea food and live mollies. He didnt really care for fish. Loved shrimp.

This girl lives red sword tailed mollies. Both are gone. At $4 a meal. I'll need to set up a breeder.
She's also half the size of a grown adult. Kind of.

They transition to female as necessary for breeding in the wild. I'm not the expert but I wonder why the transition at a sub-adult size. Could the number of ribbons in that region be dwindling. The juvi would transition to a male first, then the male would transition to female as nature demanded.

Just to put a point on my sg recommendation for the molly tank. Mollies are brackish fish and that's within the range they live in the wild. They do breed readily but growing out is a pita. The lower the sg, the faster the breeding. See if you can make a deal with a lfs to order you a quantity that you just puck up in the shipping bag. I have a deal with a lfs here and was getting 1.5-2" for $1, just went up to $1.50. I also get 200 ghosties a week, 10 mollies; I spend alot on live food.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They transition to female as necessary for breeding in the wild. I'm not the expert but I wonder why the transition at a sub-adult size. Could the number of ribbons in that region be dwindling. The juvi would transition to a male first, then the male would transition to female as nature demanded.
This is what I read on multiple articles. Granted there are not many. And she broke those rules. If it's true, maybe they are being overly harvested. Or, something worse. She isn't blue turning yellow. But, black turning yellow. Caught everyone off guard, even the guy I got her from.

Molly tank is a must. It's cheaper than buying adults from the lfs. I never had issues with them and they eat all the foods. Ghost shrimp here are near .60 each :(

I am sure I can talk to him for the time being at keeping her food going. I should have made the molly tank first.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wish I lived closer you could have some guppies.
It's my fault. once she eats some frozen, it'll get a bit cheaper. For now, she's hungry. There are 4 smaller mollies and 2 fry in the tank. They are hiding behind the skimmer pump.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my fault. once she eats some frozen, it'll get a bit cheaper. For now, she's hungry. There are 4 smaller mollies and 2 fry in the tank. They are hiding behind the skimmer pump.
Sucks you are in IL. A good fish option would be pinfish or some other bait fish if you could get some. They breed in SW, are a natural food for most eels and fish, easy to raise and dirt cheap. Let me see what I can collect when I am in FL and if I can get a few males and females, may be able to work something out for where you pick up from @fishguy242 or @F i s h y.

I breed pinfish in my sump and feed the fry to my scorps. If some small ones get into the display, the spotted scorps or the clowns eat them lol.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sucks you are in IL. A good fish option would be pinfish or some other bait fish if you could get some. They breed in SW, are a natural food for most eels and fish, easy to raise and dirt cheap. Let me see what I can collect when I am in FL and if I can get a few males and females, may be able to work something out for where you pick up from @fishguy242 or @F i s h y.

I breed pinfish in my sump and feed the fry to my scorps. If some small ones get into the display, the spotted scorps or the clowns eat them lol.
That would be pretty awesome.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wonder if bangai cardinals would work for food? Mine breed like mad and babies are always surviving.

@lion king thoughts on using cardinals?

Those would be fine as long as you are breeding in a separated system not exposed to saltwater disease. I warn against feeding saltwater fish because of the chance of spreading disease, it's a matter of when not if. Mollies are a good nutritionally balanced food usually found in freshwater at the lfs, so no threat of disease. They are cheaper than buying any saltwater fish for feeding puposes, and they do breed like rabbits. Supplementing one ribbon eel with a couple of mollies a week wouldn't be such a chore.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back