Ive decided to drill my tank. Overflow?

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has hang on the back equipment. I've decided I'm going to get a sump, empty the tank out and drill it. I've been researching how to confirm it's not tampered, how to drill, etc. I'm going to drill the back side of the tank. What I don't really understand is what I need for an overflow. It's a box that sits inside or outside the tank. So, does it basically just cover the bulkheads? Like, I'd plumb the bulkheads to my sump and then cover those holes with the overflow?

Can someone explain this to me like im 5? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I just need a diagram or whatever

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy premade overflow kits with drilling templates. I used a synergy and it was easy to do. Just go on YouTube and search. You can just mount piping but it up to you you'll need bulkheads though and you don't want it lower than what your sump can safely drain to or it'll overflow.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy premade overflow kits with drilling templates. I used a synergy and it was easy to do. Just go on YouTube and search. You can just mount piping but it up to you you'll need bulkheads though and you don't want it lower than what your sump can safely drain to or it'll overflow.
Do thr overflow kits go on the inside or the outside if the tank?

When I search youtube, I just find videos about how to drill the tank or how to install the bulkheads. Everyone just assumes I already know what parts I need for the overflow

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

When I search youtube, I just find videos about how to drill the tank or how to install the bulkheads. Everyone just assumes I already know what parts I need for the overflow
Generally speaking, both.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, both.
I think that's where my confusion was. I was picturing the bulkheads getting plumbed directly to the pipe that goes to the sump. I couldn't figure out how that would work and what I need a plastic box for

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that's where my confusion was. I was picturing the bulkheads getting plumbed directly to the pipe that goes to the sump. I couldn't figure out how that would work and what I need a plastic box for
Normally, the "box" that's inside your tank goes through the bulkheads and connects to the "box" that is outside your tank.

Zos4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the plumbing from my last tank

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a figi cube 20 with overflow plumbing and return pump for sale. Just thought I would throw that out lol Not sure of your display size but its everything you need

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a figi cube 20 with overflow plumbing and return pump for sale. Just thought I would throw that out lol Not sure of your display size but its everything you need
Tank is 36 gallons. I like the tank. It fits perfectly in the little corner I have it crammed in. So, I want to stick with the same tank

Or were you saying you have an overflow for sale?

Attachments

• 20230220_112846.jpg
    20230220_112846.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 66

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 36 gallons. I like the tank. It fits perfectly in the little corner I have it crammed in. So, I want to stick with the same tank

Or were you saying you have an overflow for sale?
Yeah I have the whole setup you would need. Sump, overflow, plumbing, and return pump. We used it on our drilled 40 b. You will also want to drill for return. I can send you pics if interested my wife has been begging me to break it down. lol

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There’s two boxes.

One goes inside the tank. It has slats around the top. Water flows through these slats into the box. The level of the slats sets the water level on the tank. The slats keep fish in the tank instead of going through the drain.

One goes outside the tank. It has holes in the bottom for the drain pipe(s) to the sump. The number of holes in the base you need will depend on the drain system you have planned.

The inside and outside boxes are connected via the holes you drill in the tank. You install a bulkhead fitting - a watertight pipe sleeve - into the holes. This stops water leaking (hopefully) and holds the two boxes in place. Some setups have multiple holes depending on configuration.

This might be a big project and has some risk to your tank - if the goal is just to have a sump have you considered a siphon overflow? There’s Lifereef run by a guy Jeff who will set you up with a good kit. There’s also Eshopps who do a similar thing. These use a siphon tube to get water from the inside to outside boxes and don’t require you to drill anything…

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have the whole setup you would need. Sump, overflow, plumbing, and return pump. We used it on our drilled 40 b. You will also want to drill for return. I can send you pics if interested my wife has been begging me to break it down. lol
I'm already working on the sump. Someone gave me a couple acrylic sumps and I'm cutting them up and bonding them back together to make a custom size of exactly what I need. I will need an overflow and return pump, though

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already working on the sump. Someone gave me a couple acrylic sumps and I'm cutting them up and bonding them back together to make a custom size of exactly what I need. I will need an overflow and return pump, though
Thats cool I'm gonna try to move this as a package deal, Check out chewy for figi cube overflow i think they have the best prices.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s two boxes.

One goes inside the tank. It has slats around the top. Water flows through these slats into the box. The level of the slats sets the water level on the tank. The slats keep fish in the tank instead of going through the drain.

One goes outside the tank. It has holes in the bottom for the drain pipe(s) to the sump. The number of holes in the base you need will depend on the drain system you have planned.

The inside and outside boxes are connected via the holes you drill in the tank. You install a bulkhead fitting - a watertight pipe sleeve - into the holes. This stops water leaking (hopefully) and holds the two boxes in place. Some setups have multiple holes depending on configuration.

This might be a big project and has some risk to your tank - if the goal is just to have a sump have you considered a siphon overflow? There’s Lifereef run by a guy Jeff who will set you up with a good kit. There’s also Eshopps who do a similar thing. These use a siphon tube to get water from the inside to outside boxes and don’t require you to drill anything…

Thanks! This guy understood the assignment. Explain it to me like im 5

Why do I nee multiple pipes going to the sump? Don't I just need one from the overflow and one to the return pump?

I had thought about a hang on back siphon overflow but I figured I'm going to empty the tank and remove my sand to redo my rockscape. I might as well take it in the garage and drill it at that time. Drilling it doesn't seem like a big deal to me, other than getting it empty. Drilling seems more foolproof.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything wrong with this one?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%

Back