GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some picture updates:
F4B1E69D-0690-44A6-872F-7C50CDEA41F6.jpeg

D624BAE3-E617-48F2-A52C-D430FA1E9709.jpeg

The shell is definitely to big for the poor hermit crab. It’s absolutely massive, considering the size him:
4E98B546-4B4D-424C-8777-BA1ED7D36BAA.jpeg

I’m not getting any more algae - everything you see there is old stuff. This means I’m exiting the ugly stage, and that I have my lighting down. :)

—-

The SSS is being way more social, but is still afraid of my hand. I see him out and about occasionally, but he is usually hiding in the rock work.

—-

Also, the clownfish tried to attack the corner of my iPad through the glass, as I was taking the photos... goofy little guys. ;Hilarious
You're just starting the ugly stage. My tank was about a year old before everything balanced out.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at the tail end of the ugly stage... no more algae growth. Everything you see there is old, and that is kind of an old picture.
Diatoms may have cleared up but you're a long way from the uglies being over with. Usually ends once coraline takes over.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didn't even really kick in until around 6 months old

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before getting a BTA I’d recommend trying your hand at keeping an RFA, rock flower anemone. They’re both beautiful and relatively hardy, might be a good first step in figuring out how your parameters are for a basic ‘nem. If it survives and seems to do more than just survive, but goes so far as to thrive, go for the BTA in a month or two after

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before getting a BTA I’d recommend trying your hand at keeping an RFA, rock flower anemone. They’re both beautiful and relatively hardy, might be a good first step in figuring out how your parameters are for a basic ‘nem. If it survives and seems to do more than just survive, but goes so far as to thrive, go for the BTA in a month or two after
Ok! I’ll look into one of those. :)

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is “coralline”?
The algae everyone gets once the tank matures. It's what makes rocks look purple. You can see it on the glass, plumbing and rocks in this pic.

Attachments

• 20210410_132006.jpg
    20210410_132006.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 37

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, ok. Right now, I have red/green algae on my live rock.
Yup. All normal. Probably have a battle with GHA coming up next. Around the 3 month mark find a snail or crab with come coraline on its shell and scratch it off into one of your powerheads. It will seed the tank. Coraline is what everyone wants. However it's the slowest growing and last algae that takes hold.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. All normal. Probably have a battle with GHA coming up next. Around the 3 month mark find a snail or crab with come coraline on its shell and scratch it off into one of your powerheads. It will seed the tank. Coraline is what everyone wants. However it's the slowest growing and last algae that takes hold.
I did have GHA a week or so ago. But great, now I, going to get more? :rolleyes:

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have GHA a week or so ago. But great, now I, going to get more? :rolleyes:
I wish I still had pics from before. It was everywhere. Lasted about 2 months for me and started around month 5 or so

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught up! Tanks looking good my guy. Just be patient, nothing good in this hobby happens quickly

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught up! Tanks looking good my guy. Just be patient, nothing good in this hobby happens quickly
I definitely won’t be getting the BTA yet - don’t want to rush things!!

I will be getting a black box light from my LFS... $100 sound pretty good?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I shouldn’t call for the brand name huh? Are all black box lights pretty much the same regardless of brand?

It is metal and has a fan... I guess that’s good? ;Hilarious

knowing the brand wouldn’t hurt. You could potentially find reviews and recommendations for settings online.

I’m not super familiar with black boxes as I have marine fluval strip light and noopsyches

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can save I’d recommend the AI prime HD 16 I have one and I can tell you it’s one of the easiest high quality light that I’ve owned and you can set a schedule. To turn on and off it’s great

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with him even know I didn’t have green hair algae , I got cyano and I’m still battling it it’s the only algae in my tank atm

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back