ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefFrenzy, I could be wrong but I believe LRS exports all over the world. Do you guys ship to the UK?

We do export to limited countries such as Canada, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan. Unfortunately due to the meat, fish and dairy restrictions the UK imposes on non-EU countries LRS is not permitted to be imported to the UK at this time. It may change in the future but for now it is 100% prohibited with no exceptions.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do export to limited countries such as Canada, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan. Unfortunately due to the meat, fish and dairy restrictions the UK imposes on non-EU countries LRS is not permitted to be imported to the UK at this time. It may change in the future but for now it is 100% prohibited with no exceptions.

Bummer, Your products look awesome with great reviews. Hopefully that will change now we are on the way out of the european union.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to keep you updated, I am currently battling a case of what I believe to be dinos. Ive tried to syphon it out and manual remove most of it but it just comes back the next morning. Im now operating a massively reduced lighting schedule and will also try to raise ph if that doesn't work in the next few days.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James, you have a beautiful set up. I just read through your thread. I hope the rest of your inhabitants are well. Acanthurus tangs are difficult in that they can not live in an ick management tank at all. I've leaned the hard way as well. Good luck and look forward to following your progress.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James, you have a beautiful set up. I just read through your thread. I hope the rest of your inhabitants are well. Acanthurus tangs are difficult in that they can not live in an ick management tank at all. I've leaned the hard way as well. Good luck and look forward to following your progress.

Thanks ! Yeah I'm going to stay away from tangs I think. Still have yellow who is super fat so hopefully he is going to be ok. What fish would you say are pretty hardy to the situation.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still battling dinos. I believe that I have a non toxic strain as my conch and snails are still living. I have reducing the light schedule but having no effect, need to find a way to black the tank out and then I can have a 72 hour blackout period to hopefully get rid !!

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided on a multi prong attack on the dinos.

- I did the the starter dose of ATM Outbreak Bacteria on the 2nd and the 3rd of march
- I physically removed as many of the jerks as possible by blowing out all the rock work and allowing to settle on the substrate, then syphoning the brown stuff through a hose and then into a filter sock and back into the sump.
- I Prepared cardboard boxes for a total 3 day blackout. ( see below )
IMG_8146.JPG

Now everything was going great about 24 hours into the blackout when I noticed a small amount of water coming from the side of the cabinet !!!!!
PANIC NOW !!!!!
Turns out that my skimmer was going seriously mental, like mega mental ! Im not sure if this is anything to do with the outbreak bacteria or the die off from the dinos. Unfortunately to get into the cabinet in a hurry I had to rip the boxes up and dont have anymore at the moment to re black out. However 24 hours defo made a bog dent.

It has now been 2 whole days since the blackout was interrupted and I've only had to gently stir the sand once because it had a light brown dusting on. I do plan on re starting the 3 day blackout asap.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better News the corals are loving life in the tank at the moment and when the sand is clean I'm loving how it is coming together.
IMG_8119.JPG
IMG_8120.JPG
IMG_8121.JPG
IMG_8123.JPG

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have Re started my 3 day Blackout using an improved arrangement of boxes meaning I can get into the cabinet to continue maintenance if needed.
IMG_8405.JPG
IMG_8421.JPG

Mulberry The dog photo bombing again !

Something concerning did start to happen a couple of days ago, The stem of my duncan coral started to strip its tissue. I have never seen this kind of receding on the stems of lps before ... The heads looked fine up until yesterday so will await to see what happens when the blackout has finished. I will add that I have continued to see good growth and polyp extension during this tissue stripping.

IMG_8329.JPG

As far as I have tested there are no notable changes in parameters so at a bit of a loss as to the cause, possibly the dinos starting to sting or irritate it Im not sure ?

Having a bit of a rough patch between fish disease and the dino ugly outbreak. Remaining fish are really happy and healthy appearing so I'm hoping that increased and better quality feeding will be enough to fight any dwelling parasites.

Some people only post the positives on these forums but I believe that more people will benefit from me documenting my ups and downs honestly and offering any treatments or resolutions that have been effective. So please do chip in with any advice you may have as It will find a way to help someone at some point I'm sure.

I will post the results of the blackout once done.

Claire88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really enjoyed catching up with your thread! I too have just upgraded with the same setup from a 180l tank with no sump.

Can I ask a couple questions though please:
1. How did you work out the level of water in the weir and being able to silence the sound of water in the pipes?
2. What is your light schedule?

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really enjoyed catching up with your thread! I too have just upgraded with the same setup from a 180l tank with no sump.

1. How did you work out the level of water in the weir and being able to silence the sound of water in the pipes?

Congratulations on choosing a great tank. Good to hear you are enjoying the thread, I will say you will see a huge difference between your old tank and this one !

1. I was lucky that it didn't need much adjusting, however when I had my reefer 170 it needed a small adjustment most weeks in order to keep it silent. The key is making tiny tiny tiny movements of the valve and then leaving it for a few minutes to equalise. Also try to avoid direct flow of a powerhead into the weir as this makes waves inside and proved almost impossible to silence.
2. My light schedule is only running 4 hours at the moment as I am getting over / battling dinos. However before the issue it was on for 8 hours a day at a max of 60% and a ramp time of 2 hours. I dont use the red or green channels at all because I have seen multiple accounts of these light spectrums feeding pest algae.

Hope this helps,

James

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Congratulations on choosing a great tank. Good to hear you are enjoying the thread, I will say you will see a huge difference between your old tank and this one !

1. I was lucky that it didn't need much adjusting, however when I had my reefer 170 it needed a small adjustment most weeks in order to keep it silent. The key is making tiny tiny tiny movements of the valve and then leaving it for a few minutes to equalise. Also try to avoid direct flow of a powerhead into the weir as this makes waves inside and proved almost impossible to silence.
2. My light schedule is only running 4 hours at the moment as I am getting over / battling dinos. However before the issue it was on for 8 hours a day at a max of 60% and a ramp time of 2 hours. I dont use the red or green channels at all because I have seen multiple accounts of these light spectrums feeding pest algae.

Hope this helps,

James

Claire88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply! I've got it quieter, there's just a slight draining noise now!

The lights are amazing but I think I will wait until my fish have moved tank so I can picture the colours better and acclimate them to the light slowly!

I've not taken a picture yet with lights that I like but this was one of the standard setting!

22f1f67bfec90c5cce6a2d3bf3fc2a43.jpg

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply! I've got it quieter, there's just a slight draining noise now!

The lights are amazing but I think I will wait until my fish have moved tank so I can picture the colours better and acclimate them to the light slowly!

I've not taken a picture yet with lights that I like but this was one of the standard setting!

22f1f67bfec90c5cce6a2d3bf3fc2a43.jpg

I presume that you are going to have 4 lights eventually ? Whats your stocking plan like ?

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you had dinos and not diatoms?

Yeah I'm pretty confident. If you look at other posts you will see the thick stringy substance that is associates with dinos. ( some bubbles ). But to be honest it could have been a multitude of things. The 3 day blackout has been successful though and Seems to have got rid of what ever they were for now.
5c36d1d2dcbe52cbdab431838512904a.jpg

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel like it's been forever since my last post. I've recently come back from holiday and the tank is really starting to do well now. Corals are all growing which is awesome.

I added a 1"square frag of green stat polyp and also the same size piece of Xenia both of these have at least tripled in size in just over 3 weeks. I also have a nice sized rock covered in red and green zoas. ( don't know there name but see picture below )

Fish wise the current stock is :
Yellow tang ( 3" )
Flame angel ( 2" )
Coral beauty ( 2" )
Six line wrasse ( 1" )
Quinoa parrot fish ( 4" )

All fish are happy and eating like pigs [emoji200]

Im glad to report that the dinoflagellate issue has stayed away since the black out.

I had the optical sensor and ATU pump fail from my Pacific sun doser however they sent out a replacement on 24 hour delivery and was very impressed with the service through blue tang marine in the uk.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back