Jawbreaker mushrooms

andrewkhangle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with the jawbreaker. I bought my original a year and a half ago from a reliable source here in Sacramento. It wasn't producing the green so I bought another one from a well known reefer here on reef2reef. The original mushroom took a long time to split but once it started, it is multiplying like crazy. It is exponential, 1 turns into 2 and 2 to 4 and 4 to 8 and so on. Most of the babies have orange and red as babies. Darker orange developing later on and the original is only now starting to show specks of green after a year and a half. I think price is dictated by coloration and size.

Some of my more mature jawbreakers

[/QUOTE]
From one of the picture, looks like your mushroom tree are close to SPS. Do you have to acclimate them to high-light? ... or they can handle high-light right of the bat?

tomxreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a baby off this one in the 2 years I had her. Just happened to look at her today after a few weeks and she developed purple. Shes ticked off after moving her to take a pic.

20171209_220016.jpg

bonomo53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so do the stumps grow into shrooms? and do they look the same?

Yea usually any pieces left behind on the rock will grow into a new shroom.

From one of the picture, looks like your mushroom tree are close to SPS. Do you have to acclimate them to high-light? ... or they can handle high-light right of the bat?

They are getting pretty high light and flow. Like any coral i would always start it off low and slowly acclimate.
Here is a picture from today.
20180103_173001 by

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people are hesitant to cut for a few reasons. Some people don't like doing it for moral reasons. Others don't want to cut the $200-$300 purchase in half and risk it dying. My bet is that there are people out there that have cut them successfully.

I was able to successfully propagate a jawbreaker juvenile that I got rather cheap and each of the “cuts” have doubled in size!

Reefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that Rock Of Jawbreakers just made my Jaw Drop...;Woot I can Never get mine to grow like that..

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question. Obviously, the Kmaintl strain is the OG jawbreaker. What about Mark Poletti strain? They appear to be the same, since they get large and have the green and sometimes purple coloration, but I was just looking for clarification. Thanks

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back