JBJ 20 gallon AIO reef tank

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I switched to All For Reef I was using Reef Fusion. They sell the 2 part at Petco.
I have to say if your going to dose alk and cal be prepared to dose mag if you want to lock everything in and maintain stable levels. If 1 is wonky and out of range it will throw balance off.

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I switched to All For Reef I was using Reef Fusion. They sell the 2 part at Petco.
I have to say if your going to dose alk and cal be prepared to dose mag if you want to lock everything in and maintain stable levels. If 1 is wonky and out of range it will throw balance off.
I still have to pick up a magnesium test kit my lfs was sold out and I’m just looking at other options.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you liking the AFR ? I’m considering switching for the new tank.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have to pick up a magnesium test kit my lfs was sold out and I’m just looking at other options.
Right on. Honestly if it was me I'd go with red sea 3 part(super concentrated) or brs 3 part if I go back to dosing outside of all for reef. A4R may be a good option for you at the end of the day.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you liking the AFR ? I’m considering switching for the new tank.
I love it man. Its Epic at locking in and maintaining solid numbers. Pretty sure @Lost in the Sauce got his dialed and locked in pretty much record time.
Trick with A4R is get your numbers in acceptable range first with whatever your dosing currently. It works just like dosing 2 or 3 part. If 1 is off the others will rise or fall respectively. Gotta have all 3 in range for A4R to work its magic.

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on. Honestly if it was me I'd go with red sea 3 part(super concentrated) or brs 3 part if I go back to dosing outside of all for reef. A4R may be a good option for you at the end of the day.
I was thinking once I get all my parameters in line I’ll definitely get some AFR to keep it stable

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it man. Its Epic at locking in and maintaining solid numbers. Pretty sure @Lost in the Sauce got his dialed and locked in pretty much record time.
Trick with A4R is get your numbers in acceptable range first with whatever your dosing currently. It works just like dosing 2 or 3 part. If 1 is off the others will rise or fall respectively. Gotta have 3 in range for A4R to work its magic.
Do you dose it throughout the day or just a certain amout ?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trick with A4R is get your numbers in acceptable range first with whatever your dosing currently. It works just like dosing 2 or 3 part. If 1 is off the others will rise or fall respectively. Gotta have all 3 in range for A4R to work its magic.
Great info man thanks! Probably talked me into trying it right there.
plus it only needs one dosing pump.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info man thanks! Probably talked me into trying it right there.
plus it only needs one dosing pump.
A little trick that I used is for first week.
Supplement your normal alk dose with A4R. If your dosing 10ml per day of alk dose 5ml alk and 5ml A4R. Is takes a little time for the bacterial process to kick off during that week. Sauce landed real close to where im at.
1ml/10 gallons is my daily dose of A4R. This will change with inhabitants but a really strong baseline to get you rolling.
When I say that you have alot more sps than either one of us so im leaning towards your daily dose may be a tiny bit more.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question I swear haha does it raise anything ? Or does it keep things stable ?
No but im glad you brought it up.
If alk,cal or mag is out of range. Don't be surprised if you have to dose any of those 3 during 1st cpl weeks while A4R settles and locks that balance.

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If alk,cal or mag is out of range. Don't be surprised if you have to dose any of those 3 during 1st cpl weeks while A4R settles and locks that balance.
This is gonna be a fun project to do , once I get my things balanced I’ll use AFR to keep it stable .

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That also means I can do less water changes correct ?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That also means I can do less water changes correct ?
Yes I was going to suggest that to get your alk down as well. But looks like your nutrients are climbing again on you. Id highly suggest getting back in the habit of feeling your fish and not tank. I feed mine daily with chopsticks and they all have fat tummies. Whatever falls to floor my cuc makes quick work of it as well as everything else they can get hands on.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supplement your normal alk dose with A4R. If your dosing 10ml per day of alk dose 5ml alk and 5ml A4R. Is takes a little time for the bacterial process to kick off during that week. Sauce landed real close to where im at.
1ml/10 gallons is my daily dose of A4R. This will change with inhabitants but a really strong baseline to get you rolling.
When I say that you have alot more sps than either one of us so im leaning towards your daily dose may be a tiny bit more.
Sounds perfect. I think I’ll start the new tank off with the bionic until it’s stable and where I want it then make the switch as you described

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I was going to suggest that to get your alk down as well. But looks like your nutrients are climbing again on you. Id highly suggest getting back in the habit of feeling your fish and not tank. I feed mine daily with chopsticks and they all have fat tummies. Whatever falls to floor my cuc makes quick work of it as well as everything else they can get hands on.
Yeah I haven’t done a water change in 3 weeks I was having trouble bringing nitrates up but now that they are up i have been super busy with work to get a water change done

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi right now I’m manually dosing 7ml of alk and 5ml of cal daily in my 20 g.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back