DSC07216.jpg

DSC07224.jpg

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I really enjoyed your thread and all your pics, good luck with your wrasses and your up coming move.

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have sand? It doesn't look like it in the picture.

Thats funny, I was just wondering the same thing.

Yeah there's about an 1/2" up front and about 1 1/2" in the back. It just slowly gravitates that way until I stir it up and move it all back. I did start to move some sand out to better prepare for our upcoming move but have since put it right back in. I just like creating more work for myself lol
Right now the bottom of the tank is crammed full of frags and not very pretty, but you can kinda see the sand in the last page under the wrasses. I cracked the bottom (bulkheads) of my 40g frag/grow out tank while moving it full of water the other day :cry: All I wanted was to move it out of the way by 2".

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought some of ya's would like an update:

Alright so I got 3 new potters wrasse and 1 female flame wrasse last Friday (3/27) and I was super excited to have another try at the potters wrasse. A couple years ago I had ordered 4 of them. 1 perished during shipping and the other 2 perished within the first 24hrs of being in my tank, the 4th one is still in my tank to this day and has made 3-4 tank changes with me. Very Awesome fish! They are one of my most favorite out of all the wrasses, but they are extremely sensitive and usually perish during shipping alone. There isn't even a DOA guarantee with them, if that says anything. Upon arrival, the new fish were very alert and swimming around with the other fish within an hour of being in the tank. They really showed no stress at all. No rapid breathing and they didn't stay buried at all. They didn't even hide behind the rockwork. They came right out front and were swimming along with my other fish. Amazing.

-Saturday my lights kick on at 10am, and they didn't come out from being buried in the sand until around 4pm, so I fed heavy and watched all of them eat. They looked great and ate well and I fed them again b4 the lights went out for the night. I got them eating pellets along with my frozen food slurry in less than 24hrs, so I figured my chances greatly increased. Getting them to eat pellets is about the 2nd hardest thing to do with potters wrasses.

-Sunday, same thing as Saturday. Didn't come out til late afternoon. Fed 3 different times throughout the rest of the evening.

-Monday, same as the others. Still coming out late (Hawaii I think is 4 hours time difference? could be more). Still eating very well and fed 3-4 times a day.

-Tuesday,same. Everything is going good! 1 week is almost up!

-Wednesday, I don't see the orange headed one, so I only see 3 of the 4 potters I had. I searched for about an hour with no luck of finding him. I don't know if he stayed buried for the day or not. I even sifted through the sand trying to atleast see where he was. I couldn't find him. No luck. I went ahead and fed the other 2 new ones thinking it might come out. Still no sign of him, but the other 2 new potters ate well and had full bellies.

-Thursday, Still don't see the orange headed one that was missing, then found a different one that had passed. So I'm now assuming the other had perished as well. The 1 new one I had left ate well and was even accepting pellets separately from the frozen food (I usually soak the pellets in with the frozen mixture and this time I fed just pellets). Another positive sign from the one that remained.

-Friday, early this morning before I left for the day, the last remaining potters wrasse was laying on top of the sand. I seen it breathing so I figured it was dying on me. I reached in to get him and he quickly went down below the sand which kinda shocked me. I figured it wouldn't be responsive, but then thought maybe he just came uncovered from the current. I came home around lunch, lights were on and the potters was laying on top of the sand again. There was no eye movement like you see most wrasses doing when in this state, but it was breathing. I reached down to retrieve him again and he quickly descended below the sand again. Seemed like it was still full of life other than the whole sleeping on top of the sand thing, which I found odd, especially being that responsive once I reached in. I left, to later come back home to find him in the same location, except this time he wasn't so responsive. It had too perished.

I'm kinda lost on this one. There were no signs leading up to any of this (except what I viewed of the last potters today, but it reacted quickly and stayed buried for sometime?). They were all eating well, had fat belly's on them, and were very active with the rest of the fish. No external parasites, funny swimming, nothing. No other fish were picking on them at all and they showed no signs of stress, and my water quality is good and crystal clear. I fell short of having them in my tank for a full week by a matter of a couple hours, which was a timeline I hold told myself if they make it 7 full days, their good, and they well surpassed the 48hr mark, so I dunno.

My other potters wrasse has been with me 2 yrs now, and my female leopard wrasse has been with me for 6+months. Both are hard fish to keep IMHO

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost sounds like bad collection techniques such as cyanide, medicated, stunning etc maybe just a thought who did you get them through?

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost sounds like bad collection techniques such as cyanide, medicated, stunning etc maybe just a thought who did you get them through?

Maybe, but I've never heard of these techniques being used anymore in Hawaii, but I guess its hard to say without seeing how they are collected firsthand. And with the guarantee that P.I.A. has on their livestock, I would say they know their divers aren't using the above methods. I just think they are sensitive by nature, kinda like the Archillies Tang. From what I have read and my understanding, potters wrasse's are collected from deeper waters, so it could be something related to their swim bladders or decompression? Being plucked from the ocean from a certain depth then put on a plane to be flown somewhere will certainly have some kind of affect. Just a thought. My female flame wrasse is still thriving though and never seem to be affected by the light schedule. As soon as the lights come on she's out and about.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, sorry to hear this. These guys have a tough time making it in our world.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always been concerned about decompression issues also
just curiou, did you treat with Prazi, could internal parasites be the cause?

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, sorry to hear this. These guys have a tough time making it in our world.
Yeah its a risk I knew about. In the future I will set up a tank specifically for them if I ever try it again, and it will be my final attempt. The fish stores here never receive any wrasses to observe them before hand either, so its all a risk.

Ive always been concerned about decompression issues also
just curiou, did you treat with Prazi, could internal parasites be the cause?

No I didn't, and I'm not going to say my reasonings for not doing so are correct, but feared they wouldn't take to "artificial or frozen" foods as quickly as they did if I would have Qt'd them. I doubt they would of survived the first few days without eating anything at all if I would have put them in a sterile tank and medicated them. Medications knock out the pod population, which is the only food source they recognize at first. Without that, their survival rate quickly diminishes unless they take to frozen foods. In the future I will set up a separate quarantine tank full of deep sand and liverock, then seed it with pods and make sure the pod population is thriving before ordering them again. Once they are introduced to their dedicated tank I will try to feed them frozen foods/pellets. Once I know they are eating frozen foods first, I will then wipe out the pod population treating them for parasites. Its hard to say that the 3 I just recieved, all 3 indeed did have internal parasites as the signs I usually look for wasn't there. There should be some signs that indicate whether or not they do have them, isn't there? Stringy or threadlike poop, etc...

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp the fun will really begin this weekend and I'm sure I'll be stressing out by next Wednesday :neutral: All my tanks are coming down and being moved to our new house and in all honesty I'm not looking forward to it one bit. I have decided some of the fish in the rimless tank will be coming out. The Lavender Tang has already come out as it just went rogue one night and started attacking everything, and killed one of my stripped cardinals in his rampage. The Elbi Angel has to come out as well as he has starting picking on my LPS's and my brain corals have started to recede. I have since moved these to another tank. The Blue Eyed Cardinals are coming too as they are just getting more territorial the bigger they get, and mainly targeting my wrasses for some reason, so they have to go. In the middle of all this chaos, I thought about taking the opportunity to upgrade to a much larger tank as the wife actually said I could fill up a 12' wall :bigsmile:, short notice of course! lol... I decided to hold out for now and let this one fill out a bit more since my summers are usually very hectic and the "YES" to the upgrade was just too short. I think she had it planned out very well! I also don't want to cut any corners on this one. Plus I still have to decide if I want glass or acrylic (120" x 30" x 22"). Its a tank I have been pondering for awhile now thats actually going to become a reality at some point now that the wife is on board with it. :tongue:
Anyways, I went ahead and ordered some new 20k LEDs (Luke33's) to see how I feel about them. They "should" be here sometime within the next 2 weeks, probably right in the middle of my move lol. I also put an Avast Kalkstirrer inline with my ATO Tuesday night to help keep my levels up. I haven't check them here recently but love this thing already. Very simple and for the most part hands off

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nice looking tank, hope the move goes well. how big were your blue eyes, just saw them the other day for the first time. they were cool looking little fish but if they are mean then i guess i stay away since i want some wrasse. keep us updated, good luck.
greg

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, good luck with the move!
Thank you

nice looking tank, hope the move goes well. how big were your blue eyes, just saw them the other day for the first time. they were cool looking little fish but if they are mean then i guess i stay away since i want some wrasse. keep us updated, good luck.
greg
Thank you. The 2 Cardinals I have are roughly 3 1/2" now. They usually stay on opposite ends of the tank, and will chase the other off if it comes into its territory. They also stay on the bottom of the tank most of the time which is were my wrasses spend most of the day as well. I thought they would stay in the upper water column but I guess not. They were one of the first additions to the tank, so I don't know if the role would be reversed if they were one of the last.

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New house = New remodel :tongue: Umm, the house is getting a built in stand with some shelving on each side. I was unprepared for it so most of the build is going to be out of my head as I go along. I still haven't decided if the stand is going to be all white, or cherry like the kitchen cabinets which is viewable across the room.
Tape Outline
DSC07251.jpg

A couple hours later
DSC07255.jpg

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
image.jpg

still have lots to do. Mainly figuring out how I'm going to run all my wiring and keeping them out of sight!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back