Jebao CP-40 (Gyre 150 Clone)

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a friend interested in reefing and he recently setup a tank and starting keeping simple fish and corals. He asked me what kind of power heads he should get and of course I suggested the Maxspect Gyre. I told him how good that pump is in moving water and creating flow and he agrees. He has seen my tank before and knows the flow he can achieve, but not everyone can spend a few hundred dollars in getting a pump. He went with the next best thing and got a Jebao cp-40 off of a China website. I was surprised he was able to get one since Ive heard Maxspect has been heavily monitoring the market and putting cease and desist orders to companies trying to come out with Gyre clones. With the Jebao coming at 4.5 times cheaper than the Gyre, The price is hard to beat

I got him to take a few pictures to do this review.

IMG-20160601-WA0006.jpg

Anyone who used Jebao DC pumps before will be familar with his control unit

IMG-20160601-WA0013.jpg

Simple packaging, The unit itself is almost identical to the Gyre, but the the material used is of a lesser quality than Maxspect. Wonder how long this would last.

IMG-20160601-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20160601-WA0015.jpg

I think Jebao In order not to infringe on Maxpect's design, theyve angled the outlet vains slightly so theres a "design" change

IMG-20160601-WA0016.jpg

The impeller wheel. It seems there arent that many vains compared to the Maxpect Gyre.

IMG-20160601-WA0017.jpg

The pump installed in the tank, Another look at the controller, There are constant mode, wave mode, pulse mode and alternative mode. The knob controls the intensity

IMG-20160601-WA0009.jpg

Another look of the pump in the tank

IMG-20160601-WA0007.jpg

Surface agitation. Seems like its pumping out good flow. Quite powerful for a 40W pump

IMG-20160601-WA0020.jpg

Heres a short video of the flow

Ill be interested in seeing how this pump performs in the long run. I hope it lasted longer than my WP pumps before.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've honestly been impressed with the quality to price ratio of the Jebao pumps. I'm using 2 RW-4 on my biocube14 and they are a big improvement over the nano-koralias. I feel ashamed of their clear intellectual property violations of koralia and now MaxSpect, but I cannot deny that they make a decent product.

OP
OP
disaster999

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the price and performance...yeah its decent, but you're loosing out on a lot of function and support in the end. I had their vortech/tunze clones before and they put out a decent amount of flow for a fraction of the price, but its near impossible to control them. They advertised "wifi" connectivity between pumps and can sync up the flow, but I never got that to work. Its fine with propeller pump since the out of sync creates pretty decent random flow, but with gyre pumps and they way they move water, it becomes too much for the corals and moves a lot of sand (if you have any). Not to mention one of the Jebao pumps literally died after a month of use.

It makes no sense to claim any warranty cuz lets face it, with the time and money spend TRYING communicating with the manufacture, sending it back and waiting for a new unit, you might as well just buy another one since its inexpensive and hope it doesnt break in a month.

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the price and performance...yeah its decent, but you're loosing out on a lot of function and support in the end. I had their vortech/tunze clones before and they put out a decent amount of flow for a fraction of the price, but its near impossible to control them. They advertised "wifi" connectivity between pumps and can sync up the flow, but I never got that to work. Its fine with propeller pump since the out of sync creates pretty decent random flow, but with gyre pumps and they way they move water, it becomes too much for the corals and moves a lot of sand (if you have any). Not to mention one of the Jebao pumps literally died after a month of use.

It makes no sense to claim any warranty cuz lets face it, with the time and money spend TRYING communicating with the manufacture, sending it back and waiting for a new unit, you might as well just buy another one since its inexpensive and hope it doesnt break in a month.
If you buy from a Jebao dealer they will honor the warranty. I had one fail 2 weeks before the warranty ran out and the dealer swapped it out free of charge. The dealer I used was supermart168 off eBay.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back