OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 more days of copper, couple of rounds of prazi and then into the DT. Should I use an acclimation box? Or will it be OK now since the clowns are in their own tank?
1711347209740.jpeg

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters, parameters.

40g:
NO3: detectable
PO4: 0.01 :rolleyes:
ALK: ~7, maybe a bit less

10g Clown prison:
NO3: detectable
PO4: 0.18 :eek:
ALK: ~8

Interpretation: 40g is chugging along. Bubble algae is picking up and there are 3 less fish, so that's probably why the PO4 is down so low

The 10g is experiencing some swings as I fill it in. End of last week ALK was over 12, as I dumped way too much AFR into the tank--ALK had previously been below 6. Coraline has taken off on the rock and ALK is coming down to normal ranges, so I will need to start playing with AFR daily dosing. Toadstool seems happier now, but the BTA I put in yesterday was not very happy today, likely because of the shift from 0.01ppm PO4 to 0.18ppm PO4. Added some PhosGuard to the caddy. I think PO4 is spiking because the autofeeder was going nuts over the weekend with NLS pellets. Switching to manual feeding during the work week and autofeeder over the weekend.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you swap some water out of the high po tank and put in the low and vice versa?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you swap some water out of the high po tank and put in the low and vice versa?
When I change water from the 40, I add it to the 10. Bit of a risk of passing bubble algae over, but that might be inevitable in any case. I don't put water from the 10 into the 40. I'm boil-blasting the occasional aiptasia in the 10, so I don't want to risk any of that getting into the 40.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefcleaners in!
1711566277598.jpeg

Astraeas, bumble bees, nerites, ceriths, a nassarius, a scarlet hermit, small conch, codium and flat branch gracilaria.

Tank is starting to look like a tank!
1711566346042.jpeg

1711566357034.jpeg

And a new pitho crab for the 40!
1711566377445.jpeg

Nice shell color, too!
1711566390222.jpeg

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions about the photos below.
What are you keeping refrigerated for dosing?
I was thinking about setting up something like this up for phytoplankton

What doser is that

IMG_6131.jpeg
IMG_6129.jpeg
Reef Nutrition liquid foods. Originally mixing Mysis Feast, ROE, ArctiPods, PacPods, OysterFeast and PhytoFeast. MysisFeast was clogging the tubes, so stopped using that. ArctiPods weren't favorites in the tank so dropped that and upped ROE. Now I dose PacPods manually every now and then and the doser pump a mixture of 30mL ROE + 5mL OysterFeast + 5mL PhytoFeast, which lasts about 4 days of dosing.

Doser is a Reef Factory x3. Wish I had gone with another brand and a 4 head. If I had a 4 head, I would run:

Head 1: All-For-Reef (independent tube)
Head 2: RODI for flushing food
Head 3: ROE
Head 4: OysterFeast+ PhytoFeast

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Questions about the photos below.
What are you keeping refrigerated for dosing?
I was thinking about setting up something like this up for phytoplankton

What doser is that

IMG_6131.jpeg
IMG_6129.jpeg
@Stang67 did you end up doing something like this?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Stang67 did you end up doing something like this?
I tried but it didn't happen. I had no way of clearing the tubing after the feeding and ran the risk of spoilage. I think I need a bigger fridge and to set it up more like what Jojo did. May try again but not likely.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Nutrition liquid foods. Originally mixing Mysis Feast, ROE, ArctiPods, PacPods, OysterFeast and PhytoFeast. MysisFeast was clogging the tubes, so stopped using that. ArctiPods weren't favorites in the tank so dropped that and upped ROE. Now I dose PacPods manually every now and then and the doser pump a mixture of 30mL ROE + 5mL OysterFeast + 5mL PhytoFeast, which lasts about 4 days of dosing.

Doser is a Reef Factory x3. Wish I had gone with another brand and a 4 head. If I had a 4 head, I would run:

Head 1: All-For-Reef (independent tube)
Head 2: RODI for flushing food
Head 3: ROE
Head 4: OysterFeast+ PhytoFeast
Why don’t you like that doser?
Which doser would you choose?
How would you use head 2 in a 4 unit doser to flush food?

This was something I thought about doing for phytoplankton when I first started my tank, but even with keeping the phytoplankton in a fridge I figured I need a doser that was able to reverse the flow, clearing the line.

But the idea of using one head to flush the line may work.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you like that doser?
Which doser would you choose?
How would you use head 2 in a 4 unit doser to flush food?

This was something I thought about doing for phytoplankton when I first started my tank, but even with keeping the phytoplankton in a fridge I figured I need a doser that was able to reverse the flow, clearing the line.

But the idea of using one head to flush the line may work.
Use a T barb to connect the three food lines from inside the fridge.

Example, head 3 pumps 5mL food past the T barb, then head 4 pumps 3mL food past the T barb, then Head 2 pumps 15mL RODI past the T barb which pushes all of the food into the tank and flushes the line.

There is no back flushing needed. The line outside the tank syays relatively clean. I am sure there is some residual still in the line after pumping 15mL RODI, but with hiw frequently it goes (4x/day in my tank), whatever is there gets flushed again in short order. You can also increase the volume of RODI flush.

Works well. I've not seen any growth or buildup in the food lines.

For dosers I bought a Simplicity doser to swap out the current one because I just want something that works and can be adjusted without worrying about connectivity... But I've been lazy about changing out the silicone seals to swap power cords/tubes/etc.

I'd also consider the Red Sea doser or a pair of DOS if I had the $$$$.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back