Just bought clam need help on placement

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I wanted this maxi clam for awhile but wanted to wait till I got new lights but my wife had to have it and was letting me go wild in the store so couldn’t refuse. the guy at the store said I should place it on the rock work about half way up. Now my tank is about 30” deep. Does this seem kinda right or place it in the sand bed? Any help would be great

OP
OP
T

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have leds on a timer that come on slow. they had the clam in a sun room under natural day light like today it’s cloudy so it wasn’t under any kinda of exta sun light I wave my hand over and they retracted

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello;

Depending on your lights and flow will determine where you place the clam. I would find a flat rock that can be moved. Once the clam sets its foot you can’t move him. With my Maximus clam he is on a flat rock where I can move it up or down if needed. I can also move the orientation of it if he needs more flow. This is very important, because they are essential for their survival.

Also depending on where his mantle is at will tell you if there is too much or not enough light. You will want to light acclimate him as well, depending on some things. What size is the clam as well. The smaller ones are much harder than the larger size ones.

If you can post pics of your clam, tank parameters and lights and schedule that would help so much.

Sincerely
Sarah

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would let the clam attach to a seperate rock that can be moved around at will. If you place the clam on the rock work then make sure it's not getting blasted with flow, can open fully and has a low risk of falling. The clam will attach byssal threads from its foot to stabalize itself. How big is the clam? Clams do not need a lot of flow for survival and too much can actually harm them.

OP
OP
T

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working on acclamation now, he’s about 80% closed up I’ll get a pic when the lights turn back on tomorrow while I have him in the bag I can see his foot moving and trying to attach to the bag so guess that’s good sign . I have a flattish rock that has a valley in it gonna try and get him sittting in it to help hold him

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights do you have and what percentage is the peak?

I may be able to give you an estimate of the par on the sand as a reference point.

OP
OP
T

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from this morning he is open and closing when a fish come close or disrupt the light. It’s hard to see there is a tube like thing coming off the one side I guess his mouth. His foot is still attached to the gravel from where I got him from. Now how long should I wait before moving him? He was sticking straight up but looks like he moved to one side just a little.

60B6048F-DFAD-4D39-BA2D-5137AD2FD9C2.jpeg

3E3E19FC-0397-44F7-905A-20DA1BB22861.jpeg

07D8BDBE-2899-4A09-B19B-113E63D20888.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the Little Rock’s he’s still attached to my gut is telling me it needs to be rotated towards me so the actual foot is down

5ECC9E49-1051-4709-8A76-990192AF7856.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait about a week or so? He’s open up way more in my tank than the place I got him from

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back