Just bought IceCap Algae Scrubber

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish of Hex cuts a slotpipe using a Dremel rotary tool. Check it out at around 5:50 in this video...

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok awesome thanks for the recommendation.

I'm going to use a mill. I work at a machine shop so I will utilize the resources I have

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it sounds like they're sending me a replacement. That would be great. Thanks everyone for all the info. I will keep yall updated

It sounds like you are already in communication with our support staff, but if I may be of further assistance, you can reach me at [email protected]. Thank you for sharing your concerns and giving us the opportunity to make things right.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was speaking to our staff at CoralVue headquarters today about the scrubbers. They explained the spray bars were not glued so customers have the option of gluing them at the angle they want the water directed on the screen. However, in the future, we will glue them based on the initial feedback we are receiving. Thus, future users will have to adjust the screen mesh with the zip ties or cut the zip ties to adjust the mesh so you can get the water to flow over it to your liking.

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you are already in communication with our support staff, but if I may be of further assistance, you can reach me at [email protected]. Thank you for sharing your concerns and giving us the opportunity to make things right.
Thank you Jeff. I appreciate you reaching out in this post. Manufacturer support is a blessing in this hobby.

I was speaking to our staff at CoralVue headquarters today about the scrubbers. They explained the spray bars were not glued so customers have the option of gluing them at the angle they want the water directed on the screen. However, in the future, we will glue them based on the initial feedback we are receiving. Thus, future users will have to adjust the screen mesh with the zip ties or cut the zip ties to adjust the mesh so you can get the water to flow over it to your liking.
I love the idea of being able to remove the spray bar. The issue with mine was that the spray bar was too short. So when I inserted it into the elbow it only went in half way. If I remove the spray bar and elbow from the unit, I can push it in alot further where it meets resistance and "presses" into place. I believe if I ran it with the spray bar fully inserted it wouldn't leak. So i think it's still a great option. Maybe just extend the spray bar a 1/2 inch to allow for full insertion into the the elbow. Otherwise everything else seems great. I mentioned the holes being drilled off center but I was just nit picking. I look forward to the new unit and being able to run the scrubber. Thanks again for reaching out

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they should be glued I think being able to remove them would make cleaning the screen much easier. The problem that some people are experiencing is if you push the spray bar into the elbow far enough so that it doesn't leak then it's no longer long enough to reach across the top and have the other end settle in the way it's supposed to. Maybe that's not on all the units maybe those spray bars aren't being cut accurately. They need to be a little longer in any event

Last edited:

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jeff. I appreciate you reaching out in this post. Manufacturer support is a blessing in this hobby.

I love the idea of being able to remove the spray bar. The issue with mine was that the spray bar was too short. So when I inserted it into the elbow it only went in half way. If I remove the spray bar and elbow from the unit, I can push it in alot further where it meets resistance and "presses" into place. I believe if I ran it with the spray bar fully inserted it wouldn't leak. So i think it's still a great option. Maybe just extend the spray bar a 1/2 inch to allow for full insertion into the the elbow. Otherwise everything else seems great. I mentioned the holes being drilled off center but I was just nit picking. I look forward to the new unit and being able to run the scrubber. Thanks again for reaching out
I don't think they should be glued I think being able to remove them would make cleaning the screen much easier. The problem that some people are experiencing is if you push the spray bar into the elbow far enough so that it doesn't leak then it's no longer long enough to reach across the top and have the other end settle in the way it's supposed to. Maybe that's not on all the units maybe those spray bars aren't being cut accurately. They need to be a little longer in any event

Thank you, guys! I will share all this feedback with the team right now!

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. The new scrubber came in. I took a quick look at it. Unfortunately I'm going to have the same issue. The spray bar just doesnt push far enough into the elbow. @Jeff@CoralVue do you guys supply 20mm pvc and caps? I think I can modify my own spray bar and be ok. I will take pics when I'm off work to show the new unit spray bar as well.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. The new scrubber came in. I took a quick look at it. Unfortunately I'm going to have the same issue. The spray bar just doesnt push far enough into the elbow. @Jeff@CoralVue do you guys supply 20mm pvc and caps? I think I can modify my own spray bar and be ok. I will take pics when I'm off work to show the new unit spray bar as well.

I am pretty sure we have both available. Would you mind just emailing our support staff directly at [email protected]? Please share what you've shared with me here and also, if you don't mind, include a link to this thread so that way they have more context into the situation. I am sorry for the trouble!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My penny, When I first dove back into keeping a tank I had no desire for a scrubber but after keeping a fuge for over a year
they are looking pretty good. Good luck everyone

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeff@CoralVue I will send everything over to them. Here are pics of the units side by side. When the spray bar is fully inserted it wont fit in the cradle

20190920_164418.jpg 20190920_164438.jpg

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I nodded the spray bar to a slot style. I will run it with the zip ties on for now. I might cut them off to disperse more even water. I then used a clamp to force the pipe into the elbow. It distorted the box a bit but I figured it was worth a shot

20190920_170537.jpg 20190920_172327.jpg

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the unit, it would make sense for them to glue the bar because the union can be unscrewed to take out the spray bar.

The one thing you have to worry about slots is if you drill it too close to the edge you can have leaking at the ends when algae clogs it. The spray bars do a better job at evenly distributing the water flow, but then you also deal with algae growing in the holes. Uneven holes is pretty normal. I was used to do that with the 302 scrubbers and everything worked fine. These units are small enough where a slot or spray bar will work either way, but just make sure you leave yourself even wiggle room with a slot cut out so you don't end up with a leak. That was an issue with early CW Scrubbers when they first came out (ask Reef News Network about their experience). It's odd that they used a metric PVC pipe --- but that is probably a cost cutting measure from where it's manufactured.

CoralVue is the best to work with though. Jeff is amazing with their service and their team is always quick to help. You are in great hands with them. Keep us updated with the growth :).

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. The size of the unit makes it great for slot. I get more even coverage with slot than I did with the holes. Thanks for the info. It's all a learning process

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back