Just brought home my first corals but need help with placement (I’m a noob)

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just brought home my first corals… went with pulsing Xenia and GSP… but I’m having a hard time figuring out where flow is low enough in my tank that would be good for the Xenia and where a good place to glue the gsp would be… any input is appreciated :)

CC788423-DE62-48B9-B574-235003FA6C72.jpeg 0FCE0A89-646B-40F9-98C6-D5406CEC6654.jpeg

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to wait a bit to glue any frag down until I think I've found a spot where they are happy. You could try wedging them where you think it might be a good spot and see how they do?

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once they're happy you're only concern is going to be keeping them under control so they don't take over and become problematic for the other corals you are certain to add. If you can isolate them on a rock, that would be best. With that being said, medium/ high light and flow for the GSP and low/medium light and flow for the Xenia.

OP
OP
K

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once they're happy you're only concern is going to be keeping them under control so they don't take over and become problematic for the other corals you are certain to add. If you can isolate them on a rock, that would be best. With that being said, medium/ high light and flow for the GSP and low/medium light and flow for the Xenia.
Yeah my main issue is not knowing where the low flow areas of my tank are. I seriously have no idea how to tell that besides moving the corals physically and seeing their reaction… but the Xenia didn’t seem to love me doing that… combined with placing them both somewhere that will allow them to grow but not connected to everything else cause I’m wanting a nice mixed reef once it’s all said and done… reefing be complicated

OP
OP
K

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to wait a bit to glue any frag down until I think I've found a spot where they are happy. You could try wedging them where you think it might be a good spot and see how they do?
Yeah this is a good idea! I just worried about moving them too much and killing them or something lol I haven’t killed any livestock yet… I know it’ll happen eventually, but I’m tryin Mah best to do things right lol

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my main issue is not knowing where the low flow areas of my tank are. I seriously have no idea how to tell that besides moving the corals physically and seeing their reaction… but the Xenia didn’t seem to love me doing that… combined with placing them both somewhere that will allow them to grow but not connected to everything else cause I’m wanting a nice mixed reef once it’s all said and done… reefing be complicated
You can always move the wavemakers if the flow is not right...

OP
OP
K

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always move the wavemakers if the flow is not right...
this is true, the issue with this is that I’ve moved them a ridiculous amount when I first set up the tank a few months back and finally found the sweet spot that didn’t move sand but has like no dead areas around the rockwork… I don’t have any idea where else I could put them to achieve good flow around the entire tank while meeting what the corals need /: it’s hard for me… do you have recommendations by chance?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is true, the issue with this is that I’ve moved them a ridiculous amount when I first set up the tank a few months back and finally found the sweet spot that didn’t move sand but has like no dead areas around the rockwork… I don’t have any idea where else I could put them to achieve good flow around the entire tank while meeting what the corals need /: it’s hard for me… do you have recommendations by chance?
BRS has videos on this. They suggest placing 2 power heads at opposite ends of the display. They meet in the middle to create a disruptive effect. This will certainly move the sand in the middle. To counter this problem I got larger sized gravel to fill the middle.

OP
OP
K

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has videos on this. They suggest placing 2 power heads at opposite ends of the display. They meet in the middle to create a disruptive effect. This will certainly move the sand in the middle. To counter this problem I got larger sized gravel to fill the middle.
Lol we think alike. that’s what I used to set up where my wavemakers are currently… it’s working really well for flow! It does occasionally move a tiny amount of sand for me in the middle but not enough to make my water hazy or bother anything. I’m just dumb and can’t figure out where the Xenia would like to be… I feel like it’s probably okay where it is… I’m more than likely just paranoid

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mount them in the toilet tank and they will grow! Bulletproof corals like this can go about anywhere in your tank.

OP
OP
K

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I feel like I was just worrying for nothing, they both are doing well this morning it seems… polyps look to be coming out this morning pretty early as soon as the lights came on ! Thanks for all the reassurances (and warnings), it was greatly appreciated !

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The good news is - the flow in our tanks is magnitudes lower than flow in the ocean. The problem with flow comes in when one puts a coral directly in front of a pump working 'all the time'. Second - I would somehow check the PAR levels in your tank - and place your coral in the recommended 'zone' - and leave them. Moving things around tends to lead to more problems. (you can rent or borrow a PAR meter from most LFS).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you look at the video in my link on YouTube you can see the flow in my tank with 2 gyres - as well as the placement of a large rock of GSP - which I happened to like and hasn't spread.

OP
OP
K

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is - the flow in our tanks is magnitudes lower than flow in the ocean. The problem with flow comes in when one puts a coral directly in front of a pump working 'all the time'. Second - I would somehow check the PAR levels in your tank - and place your coral in the recommended 'zone' - and leave them. Moving things around tends to lead to more problems. (you can rent or borrow a PAR meter from most LFS).
Yeah I meant to ask my LFS yesterday if they rent PAR meters out and completely spaced in the excitement of bringing the corals home lol. I’ll see if I can rent one from them this weekend and get that all figured out before I put them in their forever places in the tank! In the meantime, I’m gonna leave them where they are cause they don’t seem mad about it

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I meant to ask my LFS yesterday if they rent PAR meters out and completely spaced in the excitement of bringing the corals home lol. I’ll see if I can rent one from them this weekend and get the all figured out before I put them in their forever places in the tank!
The key thing to remember IMHO is what happens in nature - there are cloudy days for up to a week in the tropics. Nothing is going to hurt a coral quickly in this situation IMHO

OP
OP
K

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic of both lookin alright I think

Attachments

• 79A16E16-59AB-4752-8E8D-6820E712857D.jpeg
    79A16E16-59AB-4752-8E8D-6820E712857D.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 8C3794FA-4280-430C-8279-5D613A8C34A6.jpeg
    8C3794FA-4280-430C-8279-5D613A8C34A6.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
K

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key thing to remember IMHO is what happens in nature - there are cloudy days for up to a week in the tropics. Nothing is going to hurt a coral quickly in this situation IMHO
That’s actually really helpful, I didn’t think about that!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back