Just curious, how many of you have aiptasia?

Do you have aiptaisa?

• Yes

Votes: 318 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 172 35.1%

• Total voters

eaglalbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, I had an infestation so bad they blanketed my sump. I put a few Burghia in sump and took care of them as well.

U

User1

View Badges
Have it here. Few pieces here and there in the display. Mostly in the overflow box and probably sump. Plumbing lines also wouldn't surprise me. Having said that I do have a matted filefish and copperband butterflyfish. Maybe between the two they keep the display in check. I really don't know.

What I do know is that I've given up a long time ago and they are a part of my system. I manage by the fish and whatever side effects they have on the other corals are an acceptable risk for their help. Zoa's are one thing I can't have because my matted filefish likes to pick and/or eat them. The copperband, well, my micro fauna, worms, pods, and feather dusters are in jeopardy.

In any case have it. Don't worry about it. Life is good.

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live overseas and have VERY little options besides lemon juice, Aiptasia x, f-aiptasia, etc. Where I'm at, it's nearly impossible to get the livestock options that would eliminate Aiptasia. Maybe I could get a peppermint shrimp by chance, but with Corona restrictions, there's nothing coming across the borders as far as livestock.

To answer the question: YES! I have Aiptasia and have started battling back (My tank is 2.5 weeks old...I received an established tank with plenty of Aiptasia already lurking...so brand new at this).

Does anyone have success with eliminating Aiptasia without livestock options?

Do the Aiptasia have to reach a certain size, age before they start to reproduce? How often do they reproduce?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are that once you have them, you will never get rid of them. They do not need light to thrive and can live your plumbing for ever. Nudi's are great to have, but unless you can get them to breed, chances are that they will make a small dent in the population. Improper use of certain paste will cause an explosion of Aiptasia, and cause more headache.

Control is the only remedy I see when having Aiptasia in a tank.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, have aptasia x, but they seem to multiply afterwards... I tried peppermint shrimp, they would ignore the aptasia and go straight for my coral... So they had to go... Think I will try the berghia...

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had/have it in one tank. I picked up some berghias, they work slow but are the only way to 100% eradicate it. Try your best to trade them once the aptasia is gone though.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently taken over my frag tank, along with cheato, turning it into a refugium. Thankfully I have an Emporer who eats aptasia, so no worries of the getting into the display or frags for trade.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently 5 tanks 0 aptasia. Actually never have had aptasia in a DT in my over 10 years of keeping saltwater.

Only time I did have some was when I bought 5lbs of live rock from my LFS to set up a temporary 5 gallon tank. After getting those fish moved out I took the live rock and put it into a bucket 1/2 filled with saltwater with a lid and an air stone for 4 or 5 months. Complete dark. I have this rock now in my mantis tank and still no aiptasia.
Not sure how I’ve been so lucky because the only thing I QT for is fish diseases. Don’t ask about red flatworms!

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Aiptasia outbreak in a nano.
Broke the tank down and got rid of them.

So I have to answer I have had Aptaisa.

ohioreef513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t have any now but 10 years ago and 3 tanks back I had them and a terrible infestation of manjos so bad I had to Nuke the rock

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found one in there this week.

Inside Out Reaction GIF by Disney Pixar

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I voted 'No'. becasue I can't see it. Am I sure I don't have it? No. But - I have a copper band, filefish and (had) many berghia - so I'm hoping my 'no' answer is correct. Aiptasia is quite funny - in the olden days - it was sometimes sold for tanks. I remember having one on a rock - it never spread or did anything - but get bigger. On the other hand - trying to kill it in my case using chemical methods resulted in 1000's of them in a months time. It was all cleared up in 1 months.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just food for the butterfly and filefish. I rarely see one in my DTs and it's always somewhere the fish cant get to it unless I move something. Then it's gone the next day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back